Belle & Sebastian

Started by filmcritic, June 30, 2003, 08:10:47 AM

Slick Shoes

Word on the street is that Belle and Sebastian are doing a FREE acoustic set at Amoeba in Hollywood tomorrow at 3pm. Be there!

hedwig

i've tried many times over the past five years to "get into" Belle & Sebastian's music and although some of their songs are very good i finally gave up and concluded that the best thing about them is their album covers.

no offense.  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

squints

I've liked them ever since i heard the title track from "If you're feeling sinister". The song evokes images in my brain that i would've otherwise never put together. The reason i still like them is because of "Song  for Sunshine" from their new album. God Damn! Does it make you wanna groove.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Mixing genres in the Bowl
Scottish indie rock band Belle and Sebastian will play a rare concert accompanied by the Philharmonic.
Source: Los Angeles Times

When they started out in the mid-'90s as a project for a college business course, the group of Glaswegian students who called themselves Belle and Sebastian tried to keep things low-key. They named themselves for a French children's TV show, played gigs in churches and libraries, shunned the media and pressed only 1,000 copies — on vinyl — of their debut album.

World domination has hardly been their lot since — their albums sell briskly but hardly vault up the charts. Yet these witty, literate cult favorites are about to score a milestone: Thursday night, they will become the first rockers in a dozen years to get start-to-finish concert accompaniment from the Los Angeles Philharmonic, under the baton of associate conductor Alexander Mickelthwate. Their show at the Hollywood Bowl, with indie band the Shins opening, will include new orchestrations developed by them and the orchestra.

"We didn't just want to throw the Philharmonic behind some rock group and say, 'Be the backup band,' " says Arvind Manocha, the Bowl's vice president and general manager, who came up with the idea along with his staff. He's been a fan of Belle and Sebastian since he discovered their debut album as a student in England a decade ago.

Manocha is aware that, as the sometimes bloated orchestral performances by "progressive rock" groups in the '70s made clear, the spontaneity and blues idioms of rock don't always meld with prearranged classical charts.

"I'd be lying to say that I have no worries at all," he says. "However, I believe that the challenge is part of what makes each endeavor like this worthwhile — making art should be a challenge."

Although the Phil has played behind nonclassical acts, including Rufus Wainwright and Bebel Gilberto, for a few songs at a time, and Belle and Sebastian has recorded several tracks with strings, Thursday will mark the group's first full-scale band-and-orchestra experience. The Phil's last such gig was in 1994, behind the Moody Blues.

In some ways, Belle and Sebastian is not as clear a match for the orchestra as that band of art rockers. Nor are the shambling Scots as harmonically "edgy" — and thus tied to contemporary classical music — as, say, Radiohead.

But the group's sophistication and its style — a combination of '60s folk, sly, wistful lyrics, and a flirtation with strings and brass that's evoked the label "chamber pop" — make the addition of orchestrations look, at the very least, like an intriguing experiment.

Manocha calls them "a group of musicians interested in taking their music in different directions."

"They wanted to show their audience that an orchestra isn't just something your parents listen to but a large and complicated organism that can do a lot of different things," he says. "We knew they'd use the orchestra wisely."

What convinced Belle and Sebastian to take the chance here?

"Just the words 'Hollywood Bowl' and 'Los Angeles Philharmonic,' " trumpeter and bassist Mick Cooke says by phone from Glasgow. "Once those words were spoken, that was enough for us."

The Bowl, Cooke says, has a huge mystique in Britain because of the Beatles and Monty Python albums recorded there. Thursday will be a one-off, and the group's only West Coast stop on a three-city visit to the States.

"A lot of our songs were conceived with orchestral instruments as part of their sound," Cooke says, even if the conceptions went unrealized. Keyboardist Chris Geddes is a Bartók fan, and other band members, including leader Stuart Murdoch, are interested in orchestrated '60s pop. Cooke loves the way orchestration "really sends things home."

Still, they've never been able to do a full concert that way. So even though they've recorded some songs with strings, as on 2003's "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" CD, they can't always create the right instrumental textures live. Take a song from "Waitress" called "Lord Anthony."

"At the Hollywood Bowl," Cooke says, "we'll be able to do that song the way we originally intended it — as a Sinatra-type thing, just singer and orchestra. On the record, we messed up the original intention. It's good to get a second stab at it."

The Philharmonic's musicians, meanwhile, instead of resenting the booking for trivializing their talents or bracing themselves for music with nothing in common with Beethoven or Brahms, seem to be looking forward to the gig.

Violist Dana Hansen, for instance, says she's "totally excited" and has enjoyed going back to her Belle and Sebastian records to refresh her memory.

"The Bowl's going to be full — a big audience of people who are really excited," says Hansen, at 27 one of the Phil's youngest members. "And some of that will rub off on the orchestra."

Neither she nor the other musicians are particularly daunted by the new charts, she says, since instrumental pieces based on pop or rock songs are usually not complicated, and, in the two years she's been at the Philharmonic, they've played difficult contemporary works by György Ligeti, a Minimalism festival and even video game music.

Wagner is also way scarier, Hansen says, and cellist Ben Hong agrees. He adds that he gets worried when contemporary music shows up on a program but not rock.

"John Adams pieces are tricky rhythmically," he says, "and contemporary composers take advantage of the full range of an instrument's capability." With Belle and Sebastian, "I plan to enjoy the concert along with everybody else."

So why, with an appreciative audience — the Bowl is almost sold out — and a willing bunch of musicians, has it taken so long for the pop-savvy Phil to accompany a full-scale rock show again?

A lot of it, says the Bowl's Manocha, comes down to the "vicissitudes of scheduling. Orchestral scheduling can be set up years ahead of time, rock bands at the very last minute."

Not to mention pop's fortunes can rise and fall dramatically in a short period.

"Getting all the stars to align," he says, "doesn't always happen."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

saw them today for free at battery park.  they are awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 04, 2006, 04:31:06 PM
Mixing genres in the Bowl
Scottish indie rock band Belle and Sebastian will play a rare concert accompanied by the Philharmonic.

I went to this last night (with site member Xerxes). It was amazing. I'd never seen them live before, and now I'm spoiled. They played for a solid 2.5 hours...I don't know how Stuart Murdoch kept going there towards the end...his energy level was astounding.

rustinglass

Damn!

I'm seeing them a week from monday!
Reading that really got  me psyched, gb!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Carey Mulligan Jumps Behind the Mic with Belle & Sebastian
Source: Cinematical

Do you need another reason to love Carey Mulligan? Or, more argue-power behind why she should headline My Fair Lady if it ever comes to be?

In the last few years Carey Mulligan has exploded from one of the girls from Pride & Prejudice, and a guest actress in Doctor Who's popular "Blink," to the Oscar-nominated actress from An Education, and name from the likes of Public Enemies and Brothers, plus the upcoming Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Never Let Me Go, Drive, and On Chesil Beach.

Just to continue the ever-brightening spotlight, Mulligan has grabbed the mic to sing with Belle & Sebastian in their new single, "Write About Love," from their CD of the same name.

BBC America spotted the song, a '60s-ish pop tune that her educated Jenny would've loved. It's spunky and pretty darned addictive. Though it details a girl stuck in a crappy day job who escapes to the roof, looks over the city, and wants to write about love and "see the dream through the windows and the trees of your living room," let's hope Mulligan sticks with her big-screen work ... at least until she headlines as a pop princess on the big screen.

The song, which you can download for free (and should, because it's pretty great), definitely proves Mulligan's singing talents, although it also makes me wish that if My Fair Lady gets cooking again, it could be a modern or '60s retro pop version with new songs. Lady isn't the original story anyway -- it's ripped from Pygmalion -- so one can dream.

Should Mulligan be My Fair Lady? Is there another singer she should play? Stevie Nicks might be a little off her range, but maybe ... The Go-Go's? It's not the best cinematic story, but I'd love to see Mulligan, and maybe Zooey Deschanel, partake in some pop frolicking. Do you have any better ideas?

Don't think Glee. It seems she told Vogue that she wants to pop by the popular show, "but I'm told I'm not famous enough to be a cameo."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks