God

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 01, 2003, 04:30:22 AM

Jon

From the back of the DVD:

Quote"magnolia is a mosaic of American life woven through a series of comic and poignant vignettes. Through a collusion of coincidence, chance, human action, shared media, past history and divine intervention, nine people will weave and warp through eachother's lives on a day that builds to an unforgettable climax. Some will seek forgiveness, others escape. Some will mend frayed bonds, others will be exposed."

Now I'm not saying PTA necessarily wrote that, but I'm sure he approved it, so, I don't know, I know he started with the Charles Fort thing in his mind, but did he necessarily end with it there? Probably.

godardian

Quote from: JonFrom the back of the DVD:

Quote"magnolia is a mosaic of American life woven through a series of comic and poignant vignettes. Through a collusion of coincidence, chance, human action, shared media, past history and divine intervention, nine people will weave and warp through eachother's lives on a day that builds to an unforgettable climax. Some will seek forgiveness, others escape. Some will mend frayed bonds, others will be exposed."

Now I'm not saying PTA necessarily wrote that, but I'm sure he approved it, so, I don't know, I know he started with the Charles Fort thing in his mind, but did he necessarily end with it there? Probably.

Apparently, Henry Gibson was the one who mentioned the biblical connection to the rain of frogs; otherwise, he (as embarrassed as he was to admit it) didn't have any idea when he actually wrote it. This is according to PTA.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

what you call divine intervention, i call a freak occurence. whether im playing blind man or not is yet to be seen.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: JonFrom the back of the DVD:

Apparently, Henry Gibson was the one who mentioned the biblical connection to the rain of frogs; otherwise, he (as embarrassed as he was to admit it) didn't have any idea when he actually wrote it. This is according to PTA.

:roll:  yeah i guess he thought that the ending had nothing to do with god passing judgement , till henry gibson spoke up

i think he didnt know the exact part of the bible, the 8 2 whatever

but that does not mean anything at all

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsI side with the philosophy of the film more, which is I think - rather than being religious - more humanistic.

That sums it up perfectly.

I insist on differentiating myself from atheists by pointing out that I'm agnostic (many people are very confused about these terms and think they're synonymous). I'm not out to dissuade anyone from believing in god. I don't know if there is one or isn't one. As important as the mythology of all religions are to our understanding of the human race, I don't feel I can be expected to embrace just one, so it's safe to say I'll probably never subscribe to one religious system of belief or any organized religion. But there are people within organized religions who are amazingly intelligent and humanistic and have a lot of important insights. I don't deprive myself of those (thank you, Simone Weil). I simply remain unconvinced that there definitely is or definitely is not a god, and I'm not particularly tortured by that. I'm not mystical for the most part, because for myself, I find mysticism a distraction from the immediate goods and bads of life. But I can appreciate other people's embrace of it. My life just hasn't led me in that direction; quite the opposite.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

children with angels

And the term "Divine intervention" is a very loose one - it can just mean anything unplanned, something outside the expected. Like on an insurance claim, "Act of God": it doesn't necessarily mean they believe God is resposible - it's just a phrase.

There is something going on other than the purely physical in Magnolia, but for me the beauty lies in the ambiguity of it. The co-incidences are not just "one of those things", but what are they? And are the frogs any different than the things that we get told about at the beginning - just on a bigger scale...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi hope you dont think i hate magnolia. anyway, what does my lack of faith in a god(s) have anything to do with being angry or disturbed?

maybe i just didnt explain myself very well. or are you still high?  :lol:

no im sober now, thank you

i get like a few hours sleep here and there

i just think that i am happy that some people think outside the box and do things they are not meant to do

like coolness be damned

magnolia is a product of that , but of course people will want to take away what makes it special and turn it into something so fucking shallow and heartless, because the truth does not fit their social agenda

i for one hate orginazied reilgan , but yet something in me wants to feel it

look at bob dylan, the man is wow what can i say about him, and at one point he found god and it took over his life

that i find fasignating, i want to know everything that happened to him, because he is not a quote un quote dumb guy, he is one our most gifted poets ever, and so i do not think his love of jesus was a shallow thing

i bet it was a fasignating story

part of me wishs i could feel that passion for god, but i cant

so thats why i crave hearing people i respect tell me why they do, isnt that more interesting then some goth rich kid from the suburbs who thinks god is not cool

back to you, your a nice guy but come on

that whole angry dark guy thing is a crock, its boring

but im trying not to pass judgement

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsAnd are the frogs any different than the things that we get told about at the beginning - just on a bigger scale...

Maybe. But I think, should you ask PTA if he meant it as "god passing judgment," you would probably get a very befuddled response. That would just ruin any dignity the film had. Luckily, I see nothing in the film to point to that at all. I think the point is just that sometimes freak occurrence can actually go the way of good, rather than just the way of wreaking misfortune (as in the three tales at the beginning).

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: children with angelsAnd are the frogs any different than the things that we get told about at the beginning - just on a bigger scale...

Maybe. But I think, should you ask PTA if he meant it as "god passing judgment," you would probably get a very befuddled response.).

no that would be your responce and you will never write anything quite as great

its not all about the facts, its sometimes more important to have feelings

but only if you have feelings worth expressing

Cecil

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
back to you, your a nice guy but come on

that whole angry dark guy thing is a crock, its boring

if you think im angry and dark (or denies the existence of god to be cool) based on my posts then thats youre problem, not mine. hey, when i say stuff like
Quote from: cecil b. dementedyou tell me. the last time he farted he called it "the human race."
im not trying to be depressed and dark. its just funny to me. if you think its a depressed and dark comment, thats your problem, not mine. i think its quite funny.

plus, i dont know if you were aiming that particular comment at me, but im  not a rich goth suburban kid. i live in montreal, we dont have alot of money, and if you saw my pic in the xixax community thread youll see i wear no makeup and do not contort my face to look "dark." anyway, im just saying, cause this would be the second time someone thinks im a rich suburban kid and thats kinda funny (and weird). i wonder what the fuck im doing wrong.

Jon

I am christian (not organized religion, just believe in God) sometimes I do look at the end as God intervening. I mean, if I really think about it, (and I may have said this before) those characters were stuck. Nothing was going to change, and since I'm an optimist, I feel like maybe God was giving a little push.

(And since it's a film about fathers, supposing God is a man or whatever, wouldn't he be a good father? Okay, I'm really reaching here, forget I said it.)

It's cliche, but still, if I do happen to wonder "why" about this film, that's what I end up thinking.

OK someone answer me this, why did he fill his film with 8's and 2's

and why did he do it in such a subversive fashion

like he was trying to slip it in

all i know is the guy who wrote that film would rather hear bob dylan talk about why he found jesus, then hear godardian talk about why he is a agnostic

who disagrees wit me on this last fact ?

Cecil

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManOK someone answer me this, why did he fill his film with 8's and 2's

Quote from: cecil b. dementedand in the case of magnolia, it might of just been clever foreshadowing.

Quote from: JonI am christian (not organized religion, just believe in God) sometimes I do look at the end as God intervening. I mean, if I really think about it, (and I may have said this before) those characters were stuck. Nothing was going to change, and since I'm an optimist, I feel like maybe God was giving a little push.

(And since it's a film about fathers, supposing God is a man or whatever, wouldn't he be a good father? Okay, I'm really reaching here, forget I said it.)

It's cliche, but still, if I do happen to wonder "why" about this film, that's what I end up thinking.

see this is what i am saying, peopel should be more honest like this guy and speak up

films could do important things, and magnolia could make you a better person for having seen it

and not because you found a new way to frame a fucking dolly shot

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManOK someone answer me this, why did he fill his film with 8's and 2's

Quote from: cecil b. dementedand in the case of magnolia, it might of just been clever foreshadowing.
what the fuck does that mean ??

thats not a answer