Capturing w/ Pinnacle DV500 DVD

Started by SoNowThen, October 29, 2003, 12:54:36 PM

SoNowThen

Not that I don't know how to do it, but there must be a better way. It came with the editing computer I had built, and the guy in the shop loaded Adobe Premier 6.5 on there (which works hand in hand with this Pinnacle capture card). Now I got the newest version (Adobe Premier Pro), installed it, and dumped 6.5. Now, it says in the manual that Pinnacle DV500 needs to match presets with Premier, so I reinstalled it. But the re-install didn't seem to go so smooth (many times I got windows saying the "logo wasn't XP compatible" or something). Anyway, I figured that would fix everything, but when I go to capture with Premier Pro, I can't select the DV500 presets at the very start. They're there on the screen, but there's no litte "+" to open up any options. This was all with a composite hook up (I haven't tried dv yet). So I had to capture using the DV Tools program that is also a part of DV500. But I should be able to do all this in Adobe. So wtf am I doing wrong??? Also, what can I do to ensure a highest possible res capture (which is the reason we paid to get this type of capture card)?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenSo wtf am I doing wrong???
try still plugging into your card...

In premiere, instead of using the card presets (sorry, I don't know Pinnicle), try using premiere's Device Control....and manually plug in your input settings.

See if this allows you to control it from within premiere...

...a starting point maybe?...I dunno, sorry if I am spitting off garbage.

SoNowThen

that's the problem, it's not recognizing anything in devices. now that may just be because I'm going from a vhs deck, and not dv, but it really shouldn't matter. like I said, I could capture straight to Adobe, but that wouldn't be near the quality (or so I've been led to believe, which is why we bought dv500)...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenthat's the problem, it's not recognizing anything in devices.
that's what I mean by the generic built in Device Control 2.0 (I think it's called)...essentially I am assuming that yer card has/had a preimere plug-in?  Don't use that, try the generic one...

I found this for you:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/29976.htm

SoNowThen

sheeeit, lotsa potential problems. thanks, jj. I wonder if all this happens with Premier Pro (7.0) as well? 'cause this all seems to be about 6.5

SoNowThen

'kay, so I found out that Pinaccle DV500 DVD only works with Adobe Premier 6.5 or less, not with Premier Pro. So I decided to keep both 6.5 and 7.0 on my computer. I'll capture and sync sound with 6.5, then import it into 7.0 (the superior program) to do my edits. Will this dick up anything, or should it work out alright???

aclockworkjj

a better question...is umm, yeah...where can I get Premiere Pro...to ummm, try it out.

Umm yeah.

ReelHotGames

Quote'kay, so I found out that Pinaccle DV500 DVD only works with Adobe Premier 6.5 or less, not with Premier Pro. So I decided to keep both 6.5 and 7.0 on my computer. I'll capture and sync sound with 6.5, then import it into 7.0 (the superior program) to do my edits. Will this dick up anything, or should it work out alright???

Importing the footage into pro won't be a problem after capturing in 6.5, you can also just use the device capture builtinto the dv500, it is really smooth, and I like it better than the built in premire capture, I have had many less dropped frames and less problems with video captured through the dv500's capture program.

Pinnacle is notorious for being late in supplying updates and drivers to new software like premire pro.

Best of luck there,
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

SoNowThen

cool, thanks Michael.

One more question for ya: having done all my editing in post houses, I'm used to doing an offline, then an online. Can that be done on Premier Pro? Or should I just be taking everything in at highest quality?

Oh, and what exactly is "highest quality" anyway? Should I be fiddling with options during my capture??

mutinyco

Highest quality is 1:1. That's a totally uncompressed digitization. If you're doing it at home, I'd say go 1:1 and just make sure you use an external hard drive to save everything on. That way you won't need to worry about online or offline, your cut will be your cut. It'll save time and money.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

totally my sentiments... BUT... I can't find any "1:1" setting. I remember on the AVID they had a really easy way to see this, but on this DV Tools capturing thing I can't find any simple numbers like this. It's all "728x450" or whatever...

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

Oh, also, if I have two hard drives with 120 space on each, about how much highest quality video time can I store?

mutinyco

Those numbers are the screen pixel ratios. Don't mess with those. Keep em set to normal DV settings -- or even 640-480. If you're not given a capture choice (which seems odd) it's probably automatically 1:1.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

'kay, cool.

I'm gonna do a bunch of tests anyway, burning to dvd and watching on various tv's so I can look at the color corrections I do, and things like that.

Anyway, anybody know the answer to my hard drive question above?

Recce

I think its something along the lines of 4 hours on a 60gb, so approx. 16 hours worth, I guess. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that when I first bought my mac.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenAnyway, anybody know the answer to my hard drive question above?
or simply...10 min, is equal to about 2GB ...give or take.

120 gigs is more than enough assuming you aren't making a magnolia "the extended cut".