Are we nerds?

Started by Sigur Rós, May 12, 2003, 03:06:46 PM

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Mesh

Quote from: bonanzatazraisin?

French.

Gold Trumpet

I remember when I was entering High School, I was very alert to the qualifications of what made a nerd or jock or prep or what. See, I grew up as a jock my entire life and was pretty good in a lot of sports but then blew it all off in high school. In high school, everything was dominated by the social consequences of the actions. In college though, everything seems to have faded for the most part and I am comfortable so in answering this question, now I feel like I am myself instead of a nerd or whatever label. Everyone has some weird passion.

~rougerum

Cecil

i prefer "film-geek." nerd to me is more a geek who is into science and gadgets, and likes school.

nerd: peter parker
geek: quentin tarantino

there are all kinds of geeks: comic book, movies, dungeons and dragons.... (somehow "music geek" doesnt work. i guess music is considered "cool")

Sleuth

Quote from: cecil b. demented(somehow "music geek" doesnt work. i guess music is considered "cool")

Only if you show no respect for the art aspect of music and then rap about sex
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. demented(somehow "music geek" doesnt work. i guess music is considered "cool")

http://www.theonion.com/onion3813/record-store_clerks.html

I prefer "film-geek," also. That's the term I most often use to describe my own cinephilia.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

children with angels

I loved that Yo La Tengo article! I was hoping that would be the link that was being posted when I clicked on it...! I am both a music geek and a film geek, I'm afraid...

I saw Yo La Tengo on Wednesday: it was absolutely wonderful. Thankfully no natural disaster prevented me from hearing any of their postmodern, ironic love ballads...

I don't like the term 'nerd' either - as Cecil so deftly pointed out in his comparison... I would proudly admit to full-on geekdom however...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Yeah, I like Yo La Tengo, also. I've seen them live only once, though, I believe on tour for I Can Hear the Heart.... They're sweet (not in the "sweet, dude!" sense, but in the "aww... that's sweet" sense).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

nerd or geek, it doesn't matter.. to be part of an internet community qualifies anyone as a bona fide loser.
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

I'm gonna see Yo La Tengo live at Roskilde 2003. I can't wait....I'm a geek.... :cry:

Cecil

Quote from: _|P|_to be part of an internet community qualifies anyone as a bona fide loser.

as opposed to a winner?

TheFilmFreak

Ummm...... I am the biggest nerd in the world. I love it, it's my passion. The ID name explains it all. I could talk all day about film. Uhhh. I'm a nerd. I get so happy whenever film is mentioned. Uhh I love it. It's awesome!!!
The Film Freak

"I would not think of quarreling with
your interpretation nor offering any
other, as I have found it always the
best policy to allow the film to speak
for itself." ---Stanley Kubrick

Dendy

thefilmfreak is right.

I think we all need to watch "revenge of the nerds" to confirm that our nerdiosity isn't something to be ashamed of.
"The Dude Abides"

MacGuffin

Quote from: DendyI think we all need to watch "revenge of the nerds" to confirm that our nerdiosity isn't something to be ashamed of.

If you aren't ashamed to have Urkel as your avatar, I say skip the movie. You're confirmed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks