Rented Four Rooms last night...

Started by markums2k, July 21, 2003, 10:35:00 AM

Alethia

i hated the witch segment, thought rockwells was okay, loved rodriguez's, loved tarantino's

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteAside from PF, I consider the Hollywood segment Avary's best writing.

??????? Avary's? was it Avary?
Si

modage

two cents:  great idea, decent movie.  couldve been so much more with the talent involved.  i havent seen this since it came out on video in like 9th grade or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
QuoteAside from PF, I consider the Hollywood segment Avary's best writing.

??????? Avary's? was it Avary?
Actually, no. It wasn't. I don't know why I thought Avary and Tarantino co-wrote "The Man from Hollywood." Guess old age is catching up with me.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

oakmanc234

I really only care for half of this flick, but that half is great! The second half is where the party's at.....for me at least. I thought 'The Misbehavers' was the best of them all. Antonio Banderas was fucking classic ("BEHAAAAVE"). Tarantino's was cool, it looked so improvised (hence the beauty of it). There were great touches all round e.g. Bruce Willis's temper tantrum "What the fuck is the matter with this bitch?!", a rundown of every nickname for a penis etc.

All in all, it's Tim Roth's show. He lifted the best moments and made the worst moments tolerable.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

penfold0101

I've seen this a few times and I’m undecided which is the best segment, what I do know is that The Missing Ingredient segment is my least favorite by quite away, I thought the dialog was quite crappy, and the story was quite poor.
The Man From Hollywood is good but Willis is the only thing that stands out from what I can remember.
I like the style of the Wrong Man, it all feels very Noir.
The Misbehavers builds so well, to a fantastically chaotic finally.

Four Rooms has some of my favorite dialogue in it as well, mainly from Ted

Ted: Problem? I haven't got a problem. I've got fucking problems. Plural.

His rant on the phone to Betty cracks me up every time.
Ted: Well, most recently, there's room 309, there's this scary Mexican gangster dude poking his finger in my chest. There's his hooligan kids snapping their fingers at me. There's a putrid, rotting corpse of a dead whore stuck in the springs of the bed. There's rooms blazing afire. There's a big fat needle from God knows where, stuck in my leg, infecting me with God knows what. And finally there's me, walking out the door, right fucking now. Buenas noches.

Roth does make the film I can't see it working if Ted was played by anyone else.

I think the linking segments must have written and directed by Tarantino as Ted smokes red apple cigarettes, linking Ted to the Tarantino universe.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Duck Sauce

I liked Rodriguez's but just for the mattress part

Cecil

Quote from: Duck SauceI liked Rodriguez's but just for the mattress part

and the vomit spewing "JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"

ElPandaRoyal

Quoteand the vomit spewing "JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"

that's riiiiiiiiight. I really need to see that again. that was some funny repugnant shit
Si

SHAFTR

I don't understand, I've seen this movie twice.  The first time I hated it.  The second time, watching as a Tarantino and Rodriguez fan, I realized the 2nd half is a lot better but still overall...I can't stand the bellhop.  I'm not criticizing Tim Roth's acting, I just didn't like the character.  I found him to be annoying, not funny.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

Watch it the third time as a Tim Roth fan, 'kay Honeybunny?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

markums2k

I thought Tim Roth was going way over the top (too much) during the first story, but then I got into it.  The first story is definitely the weakest... so it's nice to get it over with right off the bat.

I enjoyed Roth very much through the rest of the movie.

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
and the vomit spewing "JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"

Oh wow.  That part was soooo funny and soooooo gross and ridiculous all at the same time.  What a great movie.

modage

i watched this on Sundance recently and i hadn't seen it in like 10 years from when i remember liking it.  but it's really pretty bad.  rodriguez's is the only segment that didn't make me really annoyed.  what is with tarantino & kathy griffin? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I find Kathy Griffin to be so annoying and she's like an inferior version of Beth from Newsradio.  I dunno why people like QT and Larry David love her.  BUT, who was she in Pulp fiction?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

shes one of the gawkers during the car crash.

edit: found my own answer...

Q: You also did ER...

Kathy Griffin: I was the wacky character... I was dating Quentin Tarantino at the time; he was a pretty freaky guy...

http://www.askmen.com/toys/interview_60/90_kathy_griffin_interview.html

weird.  and i wish i did not know that.