Napoleon Dynamite

Started by picolas, April 15, 2004, 12:52:45 AM

pete

I just saw the epilogue.  The epilogue, like the movie, ran too long.  I felt there were quite a few scenes in the movie that just had people making faces at the camera for a while.  the lady who played Lafawnduh wasn't very good or very funny, nor was the grandma, or any of the popular kids.  napoleon and pedro basically carried the movie through.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: peteI just saw the epilogue.  The epilogue, like the movie, ran too long.  I felt there were quite a few scenes in the movie that just had people making faces at the camera for a while.  the lady who played Lafawnduh wasn't very good or very funny, nor was the grandma, or any of the popular kids.  napoleon and pedro basically carried the movie through.
You forgot Kip and Uncle Whatever. I will say that the one popular guy seemed to be giving the same exact look the entire movie, but this isn't that type of movie to look too much into that sort of stuff anyway. The theater screwed up on the epilogue, so I pretty much missed most of it, and then it fixed itself just before Napoleon entered, which I assumed was what made it worthwhile anyway.

pete

kip and uncle rico were funny, but not as funny as napoleon.  I wouldn't've been looking that much into the movie if they were a little funnier.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

Jon Heder is really hitting the circuit. I saw him on Kilborn and then another show on late night PBS. I don't think I've seen the director at all. HEck, i just want to see the film. It hasn't come around here yet!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw it and didn't laugh very often.  The idiosyncricies of the characters were the entire movie.  They started, carried and ended it.  If you don't find the people's quirks funny, though, there isn't much for the movie to fall back on.

I admit some oneliners were funny, but really they were overplayed jokes.  It seemed to drag on for a while, as well.

I tried to watch it with a clear mind, since my friend talked it up way too much.  So I can say I enjoyed the film enough to just watch it, but the next Bottle Rocket?  I don't think so.

The highlights in the film were shortlived, and the the slow parts were stretched out.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Saw this movie a few weeks back and loved it. From the first frame I saw Napolean, I was laughing. After that, I either was laughing really hard or just smiling. The person I saw it with kept nudging me to stop laughing so hard because of the 4 people in the theatre, I was the only one really laughing. This really was the surprise movie for me of the summer. I had no clue what to expect. Before going in, I remember someone comparing it to Bottle Rocket. Not at all. Bottle Rocket is laid back realistic while this movie is its own universe, a town that seems to occupy the land of 1980s and now at the same time in every embarassing way. It took me an hour to realize what time period this movie actually was set in.

UncleJoey

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSaw this movie a few weeks back and loved it. From the first frame I saw Napolean, I was laughing. After that, I either was laughing really hard or just smiling. The person I saw it with kept nudging me to stop laughing so hard because of the 4 people in the theatre, I was the only one really laughing. This really was the surprise movie for me of the summer. I had no clue what to expect. Before going in, I remember someone comparing it to Bottle Rocket. Not at all. Bottle Rocket is laid back realistic while this movie is its own universe, a town that seems to occupy the land of 1980s and now at the same time in every embarassing way. It took me an hour to realize what time period this movie actually was set in.

Napoleon's reaction to GT's thoughts: "yesssssssssssssssssssssssss"

Yeah, I think the Bottle Rocket/Rushmore comparisons have been way overblown. I saw this about a month ago and I still laugh when I think about it. Can't wait until the DVD comes out.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

tpfkabi

i finally saw this.
i liked it. i thought it was pretty funny. i will most likely pick it up on DVD. hopefully they will put the original short on the disc.
has anyone seen that?

SPOILERS

why does Trish's mom make her go to the dance with Napoleon? did the uncle bribe her or what.........did i miss something?

Myxo

I finally saw this recently.

Fucking hilarious. Brilliant!

tpfkabi

i believe it was no. 9 this past weekend. it's done very very well. i wonder if part of it is its rating. i'm not sure why they don't expand it out to more theaters.

spoilers

did anyone else think the film was about to take a huge turn when the uncle was in the photo shop alone with that girl (sorry i can't remember names)?

SiliasRuby

Title: Napoleon Dynamite
Starring: Jon Heder
Released: 21st December 2004
SRP: $29.98
Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has also announced Napoleon Dynamite which stars Jon Heder, Jon Gries, Aaron Ruell and Efren Ramirez. The disc will be available to own from the 21st December this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.98. The disc itself will carry both widescreen and full screen presentations along with an audio commentary by Director/Co-Writer Jared Hess, actor Jon Heder and Producer Jeremy Coon, five deleted scenes with commentary by the director, actor Jon Heder and Producer Jeremy Coon, a still gallery, The Making of the Wedding of the Century featurette and MTV On-Air promos. A trailer for Arrested Development will also be included. We'll bring you the artwork soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Myxo

Uhm.

Who sells single disc (which I'm assuming this is) DVDs for 30 bucks? Jesus, that's insane. Even if it was a two-disc collector set it should still be low 20s for price.

ono

Quote from: MyxomatosisWho sells single disc (which I'm assuming this is) DVDs for 30 bucks? Jesus, that's insane. Even if it was a two-disc collector set it should still be low 20s for price.
Quote from: SiliasRubySRP: $29.98
SRP really doesn't mean anything.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MyxomatosisWho sells single disc (which I'm assuming this is) DVDs for 30 bucks?

Disney.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MyxomatosisWho sells single disc (which I'm assuming this is) DVDs for 30 bucks?

Disney.
:lol:
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection