The Rover

Started by Mel, February 03, 2014, 04:55:24 PM

Mel

Synopsis:

In a dangerous near future in the Australian desert, Eric (Pearce) has left everything behind, but when his last possession is stolen by a gang of dangerous criminals, Eric sets off on a hunt to find them. Along the journey he enlists the help of Rey (Pattinson), the naive and injured member of the gang, who was left behind.

Directed/Written by David Michod
Starring Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson, Scoot McNairy

Trailer:

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Mel

Mel

N

tldr; I think this looks really good.

Aside from Guy Pearce being awesome in everything, I think Michod is poking around some interesting topics.

"God gave you a brother who's not waiting for you, he gave you a brother who's not even thinking about you right now. Just 'cause you and him came out of the same woman's hole..."

Pearce looks so desperately jaded and damaged. There were a few scenes in the trailer that really caught my attention, I'm quite confident that this is going to be a 2014 favourite of mine. I have a soft-spot for Michod's storytelling, I must admit. His characters remind me so much of people I've known and met, and how they'd behave in the situations presented to them. The story is credited to Joel Edgerton as well as Michod and I'm not sure how that'll reflect on the finished cut but, while I haven't seen much of Edgerton's work, he seems like a smart guy.

Michod explored themes of humanity, family, morality, strength and survival in the appropriately titled Animal Kingdom and the footage I've seen so far for The Rover hints towards quite a few similarities. What I think, or at least what I hope is that he's taking what he did before and expanding. Regardless, it looks like a fresh addition to post-apocalypse set films and I think it's gonna be more than just another permutation of cliches.

Hopefully someone smarter than me tell me if/how I'm wrong, but once the movie comes out in a month there's a good chance I'll realize how much I dropped the ball anyway.
Edit: Looking back, I didn't even say that much about the movie so this last sentence is kind of pointless. Just wanted to point out that I'm aware of this, so I look less stupid.

Mel

At least judging by synopsis and trailers, it feels a lot like a western, just set in the future. Horse/car thieves, outlaws, old cowboy and native boy... and that guarded train. Something to think of, before it gets released.

Punch

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Cloudy

Sleeper of the year. . . and by sleeper I mean my eyes didn't blink once. Don't want to talk about it, but i'm seriously jivin' like Pattinson & Beyonce the morning after.

Gonna read Lowery's post now.  :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:

Notice the thanks to "Holden" in the credits.

Mel

Continuing chatter from shoutbox.

Spoilers

I was surprised by how bleak it was. There was only one positive character with some altruism left and it didn't end up well for the doctor. Main character, Eric is a human shell, with nothing left inside. He doesn't stop short from random killing - even more surprising is that he leaves despicable characters like Grandma alive (did he see himself in her?). Film is anti-Hollywood, examples: Eric takes only one gun from the stash, very anticlimactic shootouts etc.