Important - Need help related to video game used in film

Started by Kal, February 12, 2008, 10:52:33 PM

Kal

Hey guys,

I'm trying to deal with a situation here and I thought MAYBE someone here has some feedback for me.

One of my new films, which I produced in Argentina, has a scene where the two main characters are playing Fight Night on PS2. I'm trying to figure out how to get authorization from EA Sports to do this. I'm usually very good at this part, but I have not been able to get a clear response from anyone in EA.

Anybody has a suggestion for me? If I cannot resolve this, I will have to replace the scene, and I think its a very important scene of the film (the characters fight for a girl but instead of doing it physically they use the game).

Thanks so much!

Sleepless

I don't know about the rights situation, I'd suggest just keep on trying. Eventually you'll get someone helpful on the phone who can put you in touch with the right person.

Obviously I don't know how the scene is edited at present, but would it be possible to replace the EA footage with an animated "computer game" footage which you create, or find an animator who can create a couple of shots you can put in there. You might even be able to find a amateur computer game programmer who could create something for you if you didn't want to go the animation route.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

Thanks!

I actually work with animators already and we contemplated that idea, but it does not look great. Everyone knows the game so its one of those scenes that has to be like it is so the viewer can identify himself with the situation.

Thanks for the reply anyways. I'm still trying to get someone in there that can help, but its strange because I never have problems doing this and with EA it has been impossible.

We have also some ideas to replace the scene, but its not ideal and it also means going back to shooting new scenes, bringing back actors, more money, etc...

matt35mm

I don't know what resources you've exhausted in trying to talk to EA, but I'd try to figure out who EA talks to about this sort of thing, and then you go talk to the person they talk to, like maybe a lawyer or I don't know what.

Also, e-mails are often not responded to in my experience, so if you haven't done so, try to give them a call or mail them a letter at:

209 Redwood Shores Pkwy.
Redwood City, CA 94065

(650) 628-1500

Someone there may be able to direct you to the person that can help you.