Favorite Writers

Started by hedwig, October 11, 2004, 11:20:29 PM

Pas

Quote from: classical gasKnut Hamsun, John Fante, Albert Camus, Henry Miller, Bukowksi, Doestoevsky, Celine, Kafka, Kesey, Orwell.

my choices are all boring, i know, but these are the only authors that seem to excite me lately.

Why do you call your choice boring ? You like them just because they sound good or you think we're all a bunch of retards ?

Redlum

When I find an author I like, I tend to get everything they've ever written and go through it all. So I'm not really speaking from a point of view of wide comparison but when I read someone I like, I just know straight away that I dig their style.

Michael Chabon: I've got to be honest it was the movie of Wonder Boys that introduced me to him, so I looked up the book. Then, I think it was Ghostboy who said how great Kavalier and Klay was and from then on I just found everything of his and read it.

Hunter Thompson: ...okay so there's a pattern emerging here. Yes I saw the movie of Fear and Loathing first but have gone on to read The Rum Diary, Hell's Angels etc. Still working through volumes of letter and articles.

Salinger: Well. Yes. His collection of short stories will, every now and then pop into my mind, but just fragments so I cant figure where they came from....and then I'll remember. I like that.

Stephen King: First novels I ever started reading were by him. Abundant in charity shops and car boot sales so I could get them very cheap with pocket money. The Tommy-Knockers being my favourite.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

hedwig

Quote from: GhostboyI can borrow Ask The Dust from a friend. I've actually read Bukowski's introduction to it.

Yes, Buk was a huge fan of Fante and said he related to his writing more than any other writer. In fact, on the disc HOSTAGE, Bukowski -- out of nowhere, but then again, he was an out of nowhere kind of guy -- goes into this big thing about how much he loves John Fante. He starts listing off the names of his books. "Ask the dust..." etc. It's almost moving.

And by the way, HOSTAGE is a great, great disc for any Bukowski reader.

Fante's son Dan writes, too, I believe.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm surprised I havent' seen Palahniuk up here yet.

Oh, he's one of my favorites by the way.

I also really enjoy Anthony Burgess (Clockwork Orange was good, but Wanting Seed was also really good)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Slick Shoes

"new" writers
Lydia Davis
Dan Chaon

"old" writers
Truman Capote
J.D. Salinger

classical gas

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: classical gasKnut Hamsun, John Fante, Albert Camus, Henry Miller, Bukowksi, Doestoevsky, Celine, Kafka, Kesey, Orwell.

my choices are all boring, i know, but these are the only authors that seem to excite me lately.

Why do you call your choice boring ? You like them just because they sound good or you think we're all a bunch of retards ?

they just didn't seem that diverse; they are all descendants of dostoevsky, sort of.  and i had no new writers.

Charles Bukowski and John Fante, Julio Cortazar, Georges Perec, Douglas Adams,  Franz Kafka, Irvine Welsh, Godard as a writer, Andy Warhol as a writer and let's leave it at that, because i suck at reading.
For the record,  I hate people that have read more than I have, like 03.
context, context, context.

SiliasRuby

James Ellroy, Augusten Burroughs, William Burroughs, Stephen King, and Johnathon Lethem.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Quote from: 03fuentes

i may be going to a conference he will be giving this month.

who here has met published writers?

El Duderino

chuck palahniuk, nick hornby, irvine welsh, michael moore, al franken, harper lee, and cbrad
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

hedwig

:( yesterday i forgot that the  conference with Fuentes was yesterday,
and i just got a chance to see him walk around my school.

on the second pic my friend's asking him for his signature