Leos Carax

Started by jenkins, April 13, 2014, 06:30:17 PM

jenkins

obviously these are the obvious reasons there obviously should be a leos carax thread obviously:

☛ his movie mauvais sang does a cruel thing to my english way with words because i don't know the proper fucking way to pronounce mauvais sang. its translated title is the night is young, except it still goes by mauvais sang. same thing with godard's vivre sa vie -> my life to live. i'm royally spun, because i pinkyswear the problem with the translated title is way less severe than my problems pronouncing french (in general). also, i made this thread because someone gave me a copy of this movie and i got so excited i took screencaps, which i'm sharing now with my friends

☛ how is it possible to make a movie like the lovers on the bridge and how did he do it at 31

☛ bottom line: scott walker composed music for pola x and scott walker didn't compose music for a single other movie [throws down mic]
[picks up mic and apologizes]

☛ if you have a problem with his merde part in tokyo! you should really talk with merde about that or, no, either maître voland or merde, either/or, but only one of them

☛ i'd watched pola x for scott walker, and tokyo! because that's a grandslam team, but from my age and theater window i hadn't anticipated what was about to happen when i went to see holy motors. summary

and, i assume, everything he's ever made and i haven't seen everything

ok, this thread's raison d'être (<-i can type that):

Drenk

It's possible to do Les Amants du Pont-Neuf at 31. But, then, it ruins your life. Money issues. France doesn't really like to give money to great directors, I guess.

I discovered Carax with Holy Motors because nobody talked about the dude before that or I was too young to hear. I loved it. Couldn't finish Les Amants du Pont-Neuf, though. And I'll try Mauvais Sang this month.

(I don't understand why they translate it the night is young when it's bad blood. Too easy, maybe?)
Ascension.

Robyn

les amants du pont-neuf is one of my favorite films ever.

the scene with the fireworks is pure beauty.

jenkins

well i'll be (excited)

released yesterday:

mogwai

When are they going to learn that "Les amants du Pont-Neuf" is his fucking masterpiece?

jenkins

the situation:

Annette
Drama, Musical

QuoteThe film is about a stand-up comedian whose opera singer wife is deceased. He finds himself alone with his 2 year old daughter who has a surprising gift.

listed actors: Michelle Williams and Adam Driver

the writers: Ron Mael and Russell Mael
the songwriters:  Ron Mael and Russell Mael
are the writers musicians: yes, their band is called Sparks

jenkins

so, the French director singing in this song is Leos Carax (he speaks in the beginning and is the second person to sing)

this is what i've head from reliable sources (the musicians)

1. they laughed when they referred to the notes Leos Carax gives them. he has given them plenty of notes toward the construction of Annette
2. begins production next year
3. Adam Driver is currently tangled up in Star Wars and is not currently guaranteed

jenkins

Joaquin Phoenix replacing Adam Driver is in the air.

Drenk

Quote from: jenkins on November 25, 2017, 06:27:06 PM
Joaquin Phoenix replacing Adam Driver is in the air.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Is Rooney Mara out? I don't remember. It changes a lot. Since they are a couple...
Ascension.

jenkins

Michelle Williams.

i'd be as happy as anyone if Joaquin came in, but there is both Joaquin and the fact of this movie, which is an opera, and would require Joaquin to sing. but then, who thought Driver had such a voice, and perhaps only Carax could pull this off.

jenkins

i'd heard this/that, tonight i read the Sparks wiki page. a "tremendous" history would be the thing to say, i believe.

• In 1984, the Maels wrote and performed several original songs on the soundtrack for the black comedy teen film Bad Manners (aka: Growing Pains), including the film's title song, "Bad Manners"
  • The late 1980s and early 1990s saw the brothers concentrate on filmmaking, particularly an attempt to make a manga, Mai, the Psychic Girl, into a movie musical. Despite interest from Tim Burton and six years' work on the project, the film has not yet gone into production
  • In 1998 they recorded the soundtrack for the action film Knock Off, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, directed by the acclaimed Hong Kong-based producer/director Tsui Hark (who had appeared on his own tribute song by the band on the album Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins).
  • Ron and Russell appeared as interview subjects in the 2009 documentary The Magnificent Tati, discussing their involvement during the early 1980s in Confusion, a proposed Jacques Tati movie for which a screenplay was written but never shot (due to Tati's death).
  • On August 14, 2009, the band premiered the radio musical The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman, commissioned by the Swedish public radio (SR) and featuring the Mael brothers themselves and Swedish actors Elin Klinga and Jonas Malmsjö, both of whom worked with Bergman in his lifetime. The musical, partly in English, partly in Swedish, tells the story of Bergman's relocation to Hollywood after his breakthrough with Smiles of a Summer Night (1956), and the surreal and discomforting encounter with the movie capital.
  • On June 25, 2011 as part of the Los Angeles Film Festival, Sparks presented the World Premiere live performance of The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman. Canadian film director Guy Maddin provided directions based on the screenplay, with Ron and Russell reprising their recorded roles on stage.

Tsui Hark

above this post is a post with the Leos Carax song.

jenkins

Adam Driver being back in and the production on hold is in the air now. but also i'm not sure Joaquin Phoenix was ever in the air actually. all i know for sure is that Carax doesn't have another project lined up, and that he's a rather committed person.

jenkins

At the 46:51 min mark, Edgar Wright says he's in the process of doing a documentary about Sparks.

this post isn't in the wrong director thread because i'm hoping it's a positive relation to Annette. again: what i know about Annette is Leos Carax is a persistent individual and he doesn't have another production in mind.

jenkins

this article from May 22 says via Sparks that Carax has become committed to Adam Driver and "Production on Episode 9 of Star Wars is to begin this July, then The Times reports Annette will begin shooting in the summer of 2019"

so if everything goes well according to that plan, and the article mentions that Driver has sung and Driver can sing, the female lead is a question mark, but everything should be able to take flight by the summer of 2019, not much more major news until then.

Ravi

https://variety.com/2019/film/global/marion-cotillard-leos-caraxs-annette-1203215774/?fbclid=IwAR16Mm5obSUJfzhP9JcEbqLN1BkUkJ8nCoURa66ek4BckQfAdmmPqQlzr1o

Marion Cotillard Joins Leos Carax's Musical 'Annette' (EXCLUSIVE)
By ELSA KESLASSY

Marion Cotillard has joined Adam Driver In the cast of "Annette," Leos Carax's English-language romantic musical, which will start shooting this summer.

Charles Gillibert's CG Cinema, whose credits include Kristen Stewart-starrer "Personal Shopper," is producing the film. Amazon will release it in the U.S.

Cotillard and Driver will star as star-crossed Hollywood lovers. "Annette" will bring together the rock band Sparks, which is composing original songs, and celebrated music producer Marius de Vries, who is known for his work on "La La Land," "Moulin Rouge" and "Cats."

CG Cinema is producing "Annette" with Paul-Dominique Vacharasinthu at Tribus P Films. Co-producers include the French-German channel Arte, with Kenzo Horikoshi from Japan's Eurospace, Fabian Gasmia from Germany's Detail Film, and Geneviève Lemal and Benoît Roland from Belgium's Scope Picture & Wrong Men. Kinology will handle international sales on "Annette" in association with Logical Pictures. CAA Media Finance brokered the deal with Amazon for "Annette."

Cotillard has just dropped out of "355," Jessica Chastain's female-powered spy thriller project, which was announced at last year's Cannes. Driver's latest film, "The Dead Don't Die," directed by Jim Jarmusch, opened the Cannes Film Festival on Tuesday.

CG Cinema's current slate also includes Assayas' "Wasp Network" (co-produced with RT Features), which just wrapped shooting in Cuba with Penelope Cruz and Edgar Ramirez.