top guitar players

Started by classical gas, October 27, 2003, 08:30:46 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: classical gaswell, i don't know about a top 100, but my top three are:
jimi hendrix
robert johnson
eric clapton (mostly the stuff he did with other groups, cream, yardbirds, derek and the dominos, etc....his solo stuff is.....eh)

i know it's a pretty obvious list....currently, i like jack white, he fucking rules.  other than that....current music sucks....i need to delve into the underground.  where to start?

Modest Mouse, the Mountain Goats, Neutral Milk Hotel, Opeth, I'm tired of listing.  You probably won't like any of this
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

i'm loving modest mouse....i think i actually found out about them from your recommendation from another thread.  i love it.  i need to check out those others though....

blackmamba

Tom Morello should be higher in my opinion.
That list is pretty jacked up.
However, I am glad that they at least got Jonie Mitchell on there.

NEON MERCURY

whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! why isn't keanu on that list.
dogstar is brilliant.. :wink:

Sigur Rós

You can't name the 5 best guitarists. There are so many different kind of styles and techniques. Some guitarists have great technique (Yngwie, Satriani, Vai) and others have a unique style and personality (Hendrix, Vaughn, Ry Cooder...). So things like this Click is total bullshit to me. I mean you can't name the 100 best guitarist in the world!

phil marlowe

Quote from: Jesus Christ Bobby!You can't name the 5 best guitarists. There are so many different kind of styles and techniques. Some guitarists have great technique (Yngwie, Satriani, Vai) and others have a unique style and personality (Hendrix, Vaughn, Ry Cooder...). So things like this Click is total sullshit to me. I mean you can't name the 100 best guitarist in the world!
very true. things like that can never be taken seriously cos it's a pop listwhere entire genres is neglected. many of the best guitarists in the world are jazz or fusion guitarists and i don't see either pat matheny or john scofield on that list.

godardian

Quote from: classical gaswell, i don't know about a top 100, but my top three are:
jimi hendrix
robert johnson
eric clapton (mostly the stuff he did with other groups, cream, yardbirds, derek and the dominos, etc....his solo stuff is.....eh)

i know it's a pretty obvious list....currently, i like jack white, he fucking rules.  other than that....current music sucks....i need to delve into the underground.  where to start?

..where you should start is the UK. If you haven't heard The Thrills, Belle and Sebastian, Placebo, or Luke Haines/The Auteurs/Black Box Recorder, definitely that stuff. You'll get excellent music with integrity and none of this indie-schmindie stuff you get here.

Otherwise/Stateside: Sleater-Kinney, Magnetic Fields, Interpol, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc... read CMJ (if you must). They'll always have plenty of ideas for you, though of course you have to use your judgment and read between the lines.

Always and forevermore definitive on the subject of the so-called "underground": "Let's Submerge" by X-Ray Spex.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

Okay... what the fuck...  Bob Mould isn't even on the list?

That list sucks.

I love Hendrix, but why does he have to always be #1?  We know he's good... throw someone else up there for a change.

Fernando

Quote from: RegularKarate
That list sucks.

Indeed, where the hell is Steve Vai? Passion and Warfare gained him heaven regardless of what he would do or not in his subsequent albums, Satriani is also absent.

What about Stanley Jordan, can't believe he's not there, he can kick easily 85% of those 100 asses, his piano technic is unique.

Joe Perry better than McLaughlin? Give me a fucking break! One has to wonder if these guys listened the music of these performers.

Joan Jett? You want a woman in the list, put Jenniffer Baten.

Allan Holdsworth, also unique style, highly gifted, not listed, Dave Holland too.

Sure there are others, can't remember them now.

rustinglass

hendrix
steve vai
compay segundo

What's the name of that girl guitar player that was on conan last week?

edit: never mind, I found out: kaki king
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

freakerdude

Quote from: classical gashas anyone read this by rolling stone, or is it in another thread??:

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=1917

top one hundred lists are always usually dumb and rolling stone is run by a bunch of assholes, but just for the matter of debating....duane allman as number 2??  i never listened to the allmann brothers that much, is he really better than robert johnson or clapton?
two other problems....i love jack white and used to love kurt cobain, but numbers 17 and 12, respectively seems a little off.  i love em both, but that's ranking them a little high.
Duane Allaman deserves to be #2 IMO but ABB is my favorite band. ABB Live @ Fillmore East from 1971 is awesome (if you like them) and showcases his ability at such a young age. His short span of music was also as a session artist for the likes of Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Boz Scaggs, and the ever popular Layla's superb weeping ending solo......that was not Clapton playing it.......pure Duane! The only people who call the Allman Brother's Band a southern rock band are those who don't realize they are really a heavy blues and jazz rock band.

All of ABB's guitarists are on there. #81 is Derek Trucks, who is about 25 yo now, and Warren Haynes is #23 on the list. If there are any Govt. Mule heads on here, you know why Warren is that high. The "booted" Dickey Betts was at #58.

David Gilmore all the way down at #82? WTF? And as said, Joan Jett was not that musically talented or accomplished as a guitarist.

I think Jack White didn't belong on the list and Cobain should have been lower. But remember it was RS's editors picks........
MC Pee Pants

phil marlowe

sure, but WHERE IS YNGWIE MALMSTEEN ON THIS LIST ?!?!

freakerdude

I know he's playing here in Atlanta tonight and I turned down a freebie ticket to see G3. I guess I'm getting old.
MC Pee Pants

classical gas

tim reynolds  is a good guitar player too.  did i spel hiz name write?