-Francis Ford Coppola
-Francois Truffaut
-Jean Luc Godard
-Jonathan Demme
-Robert Altman
-Sidney Lumet
-Spike Lee (he can be awesome)
-Spike Jonze
-Tim Burton (no Planet of the Apes talk)
-Woody Allen

OUT

-David Lynch

Fuck Todd Solondz, the worst filmmaker of all-time.

David O'Russell? Sidney Lumet? uhhhh, how bout HELL NO!

There are too many as it is. I like Pubrick's idea of alive&dead categories.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: ebeaman69
OUT

-David Lynch

Fuck Todd Solondz, the worst filmmaker of all-time.

Whats wrong with david lynch & todd solondz?..i think they are both rather geniuses.

RegularKarate

Okay... how about we just leave the directors that are there and just make an "Other Directors" forum...

...oh... wait

Ernie

BonBon85

Solondz, on the other hand, is a fucking dick that doesn't deserve a career because his only ambition with every film he has made thus far has been to disturb people. That has been his ONLY ambition.

And you know this how?

Bud_Clay

Quote from: ebeaman69Solondz, on the other hand, is a fucking dick that doesn't deserve a career because his only ambition with every film he has made thus far has been to disturb people. That has been his ONLY ambition. I don't have any respect for him and I doubt I ever will.

man, i think you said you were 16 right? well give it a few years and i think you'll come to find you have a lot of respect for solondz....i cant imagine someone having trouble with his movies that isnt a child molester, an ambitionless homosexual pothead, or an ugly little girl. and i dont think you are any of the 3, are you?

Ernie

Quote from: BonBon85
Solondz, on the other hand, is a fucking dick that doesn't deserve a career because his only ambition with every film he has made thus far has been to disturb people. That has been his ONLY ambition.

And you know this how?

I watched his movies. What, you think I'm just guessing how his movies are? I haven't seen all of his movies but I have seen Happiness and Storytelling, that's enough for me to judge him as a filmmaker.

Ernie

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
Quote from: ebeaman69Solondz, on the other hand, is a fucking dick that doesn't deserve a career because his only ambition with every film he has made thus far has been to disturb people. That has been his ONLY ambition. I don't have any respect for him and I doubt I ever will.

man, i think you said you were 16 right? well give it a few years and i think you'll come to find you have a lot of respect for solondz....i cant imagine someone having trouble with his movies that isnt a child molester, an ambitionless homosexual pothead, or an ugly little girl. and i dont think you are any of the 3, are you?

No, I am not any of those things. His movies are just too cynical for me or something. I mean, I'm not saying the world is a bowl of cherries, it isn't by any mean, all I'm saying is...would it kill him to have at least one decent, respectable character in his movies? I can't relate to any of the characters in his movies. Every single one of them have these extremely dark secrets or taboo passions. That's just not how everybody in the world is man. Solondz needs to understand that no matter how much people made fun of him in high school, there are good people in the world. God knows I get made fun of in school, we all do. I'm not going to become a fucking cynic though, I know there are still cool people out there.

I'm all for giving him another chance. I've done that a lot. I'm always willing to do that but like you said, I'm definitely going to wait a few years till I give a Solondz film another shot.

Xixax

Solondz reminds me of Harmony Korine in many ways, only he's a far better filmmaker.

I think they're both out to shock you with the truth.

The stuff in their films really does happen. Granted, you have to dig to find such characters, but these people do exist, and their lives can be truly shocking.

Everyone's entitled to their views, and that's cool, but I like Todd Solondz because he's just so damn disturbing.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Quote from: XixaxSolondz reminds me of Harmony Korine in many ways, only he's a far better filmmaker.

Good point. I dont like Harmony Korine but I can see that both their intentions are to expose parts of people that havent really been explored on film.

I think Solondz is a good director, but not a great one thus far and doesnt deserve his own spot. I didnt like Happiness but probably because I was so disturbed by it, but it was a great movie. Like ebeaman, his movies make me sad in a way, but I think that is part of what they are supposed to do and he suceeds at it. I dont think I will ever see some of his movies again, at least for a long time because they are like Schindlers List; they are fantastic movies at making me feel depressed. You cant hate him just because he doesnt make you happy.

SHORT VERSION
Solondz=talented
Solondz<directors who have own spots

Ernie

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: XixaxSolondz reminds me of Harmony Korine in many ways, only he's a far better filmmaker.

Good point. I dont like Harmony Korine but I can see that both their intentions are to expose parts of people that havent really been explored on film.

I think Solondz is a good director, but not a great one thus far and doesnt deserve his own spot. I didnt like Happiness but probably because I was so disturbed by it, but it was a great movie. Like ebeaman, his movies make me sad in a way, but I think that is part of what they are supposed to do and he suceeds at it. I dont think I will ever see some of his movies again, at least for a long time because they are like Schindlers List; they are fantastic movies at making me feel depressed. You cant hate him just because he doesnt make you happy.

SHORT VERSION
Solondz=talented
Solondz<directors who have own spots

I can't hate them for making me feel depressed but I damn sure can hate them for making me feel one single fucking emotion out of them all. Why would I watch a depressing Solondz movie when I can watch a funny, sad, suspenseful, scary, poignant, hip PTA movie? That's what I'm talking about. It's pointless. The choice is easy. There are filmmakers that can take you through the full range of human emotions with one single film and then there are filmmakers like Todd Solondz or Michael Bay that couldn't give a shit about all the emotions but one.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeaman69Every single one of them have these extremely dark secrets or taboo passions. That's just not how everybody in the world is man.

yep, definitely 16..
under the paving stones.

BonBon85

I watched his movies. What, you think I'm just guessing how his movies are? I haven't seen all of his movies but I have seen Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse, that's enough for me to judge him as a filmmaker.

No, but you said it is his ONLY ambition as though you had seen an interview where he said "as a filmmaker my master plan is to piss off ebeaman." Welcome to the Dollhouse was not full of characters with terrible and disturbing secrets. I don't know about where you live, but the characters in that movie were realistic, and if that makes me cynical then so be it.

On another note I, like Duck Sauce, believe Solondz is good but not category worthy.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceI didnt like Happiness but probably because I was so disturbed by it, but it was a great movie. Like ebeaman, his movies make me sad in a way, but I think that is part of what they are supposed to do and he suceeds at it. I dont think I will ever see some of his movies again, at least for a long time because they are like Schindlers List; they are fantastic movies at making me feel depressed. You cant hate him just because he doesnt make you happy.

Quote from: ebeaman69I can't hate them for making me feel depressed but I damn sure can hate them for making me feel one single fucking emotion out of them all. Why would I watch a depressing Solondz movie when I can watch a funny, sad, suspenseful, scary, poignant, hip PTA movie? That's what I'm talking about. It's pointless. The choice is easy. There are filmmakers that can take you through the full range of human emotions with one single film and then there are filmmakers like Todd Solondz or Michael Bay that couldn't give a shit about all the emotions but one.

That's where I think you guys are wrong, 'cause I find Solondz's films very funny, in a black comedy way. And his characters are fully fleshed out. I found myself sympathizing with them.

Damn, where is budgie for her imput and to back me up?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

Quote from: MacGuffin

That's where I think you guys are wrong, 'cause I find Solondz's films very funny, in a black comedy way. And his characters are fully fleshed out. I found myself sympathizing with them.

I agree! The end of Happiness was so funny in my sick little head. You're allowed to laugh at this stuff.

And this is in no way an attempt to take Budgie's place