Beta

Started by rustinglass, December 15, 2003, 12:56:45 PM

rustinglass

My friend has an old working beta camcorder. I'm gonna make a film with it! I'm pretty sure I can edit it betamax to vcr.
Can anybody tell me advantages and disadvantages of working with this system... or is it basically the same as vhs?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

way better quality than vhs

(I edited 3/4 decks once in film school -- a nightmare, that)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Quote from: SoNowThenway better quality than vhs

(I edited 3/4 decks once in film school -- a nightmare, that)
Heh, welcome to my life. We have DVC Pro that we normally edit on, but we have a client that ONLY wants segments and shows editted in 3/4. So on some of my days I get carpal tunnel from shuttling the inputs.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

rustinglass

do I need some special considerations? Do I make the lighting the same as if I was using my hi-8?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

in theory it should have greater definition of color and lighting contrast than hi-8...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

It's a professional format, and is certainly much better than VHS, and depending on the camera, possibly even better than many miniDV cameras. Do you know what model it is?

TheVoiceOfNick

Beta... hrm... as in old-school Beta?  Or Digi-Beta?  When was the camera made?  Technically, the old-school Beta is better than VHS, and about the same as Hi-8... it'd be an interesting experiment to see how good it looks!

rustinglass

It's a relic. it hasn't been used for 3 years but then it worked fine and it had not worked for 10 years before that (I hope I was clear).it's been kept in good conditions so I don't think there's a problem with dust or anything.
I know a store that still sells beta tapes, so I'm gonna buy one and try it  out.
-Emir Kusturica

mutinyco

Beta! Rock on! Another example of human stupidity. They were out at the same time as VHS, and everybody knew they had better quality. But they cost a little more. So everybody opted for VHS.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

rustinglass

It's this camera: http://www.palsite.com/bmc100ovi.html
It still works! I shot a few minutes on it yesterday, the quality is very poor with a lot of grain and there was a black dot in the middle of the picture when I played the tape, must be a dirty head because I wiped the lenses. But the sound is good, and considering that it was abandoned for thirteen years, it's one hell of a good camera.
I'm going to make a documentary about my friend's (the owner) rock band. The quality is shit but I don't care.
hopefully the tape itself will clean the head as it rolls so I can get a better picture.
-Emir Kusturica

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: rustinglassIt's this camera: http://www.palsite.com/bmc100ovi.html
It still works! I shot a few minutes on it yesterday, the quality is very poor with a lot of grain and there was a black dot in the middle of the picture when I played the tape, must be a dirty head because I wiped the lenses. But the sound is good, and considering that it was abandoned for thirteen years, it's one hell of a good camera.
I'm going to make a documentary about my friend's (the owner) rock band. The quality is shit but I don't care.
hopefully the tape itself will clean the head as it rolls so I can get a better picture.

You can still find head cleaners for Beta cameras.  I reccommend this... the overall picture quality might improve as well.

rustinglass

I haven't started shooting yet. They (the band) are still completing their drum set (cash problems). I thought it would be silly to make a documentary about them if they still don't have all their instruments.
I looked for some assistance at my school's audiovisual club, they said i could edit it there but i have to bring the betamax to school because they don't have any.
I'm going to use a dusty Panasonic Digital AV Mixer WJ-AVE7. I never worked with a simular thing before, they have misplaced the user's manual and the lady in chage is a total iliterate when it comes to film technology, so I'm flying solo on that one. PLEASE HELP ME!  the only thing I found on the internet was this, can anyone point me to a manual? what the hell is luma?

Is it alright if I keep this thread as a sort of diary for this project? Its my first filmaking experience and I need all the help I can get.

On another note: I've been going to that school for 3 years and never did it crooss my mind what an amazing video collection it has, I mean great films! fellini, antonioni, kurosawa.... The lady is kind enough to copy them for me because they can't leave the school, so I'm buying a shitload of blank tapes! Getting la strada, la dolce vita and rosetta on monday!
-Emir Kusturica

metroshane

QuoteI thought it would be silly to make a documentary about them if they still don't have all their instruments.

Are  you kidding?  That's just what would make a great documentary.  That's real life man.  I'd much rather see that kind of documentary than than the blah blu blah blah blah.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Cecil

Quote from: metroshaneI'd much rather see that kind of documentary than than the blah blu blah blah blah.

yes, rule of thumb: always avoid the word "blu" when when making a documentary

kotte

So anyone know what kind of computer it takes to edit full resolution DigiBeta material?