punk band recommendations

Started by Ernie, March 31, 2003, 02:52:07 PM

Witkacy

I'm long past any academia... I run an electronic music vinyl company but dabble.. I've just recently got back into shooting film (or DV).  I also designed furniture for 10 years but hated the yuppie shits i had to make the furniture for... but so be it.  I also hated working on film productions ... nothing but crap... so i left.  Doing film/Dv with honest real people is much better.

godardian

I've never read any Rushdie... I do like Jeanette Winterson as a novelist, though. Other novelists I like: Margaret Atwood, Turgenev, Flaubert... am currently reading a Wyndham Lewis novel.

The other writers you mentioned were philosophers... for that kind of thing, I like Camus, Michel Foucault, and E.M. Cioran (I do intend to read Sartre and de Bouvieur (sp?) one day). The ones you mentioned sounded interesting. A favorite book of mine is Greil Marcus's Lipstick Traces; I guess you could say I'm very intrigued by Situationism. Along similar lines but more interesting to me are Freud, Lacan, Baudrillard, Chomsky, Barthes, Norman O. Brown... less philosophical, more pragmatic, but still trafficking in ideas.

It must be cool to do creative things for a living... I'm jealous.

Anyway, you seem to be very what you'd call "culturally literate." I was excited to have you here the minute you brought up Fassbinder, but it seems you'll likely have interesting things to say about a great number of things...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

You all realize this is a "PUNK BAND RECOMMANDATION" thread and not a "NAME DROPPING CONTEST"

godardian

Quote from: Pas RapportYou all realize this is a "PUNK BAND RECOMMANDATION" thread and not a "NAME DROPPING CONTEST"

Well, really... anyone who's ever read Maximum Rock 'n Roll or listened to a record store clerk go on and on about their favorite bands knows that that's just hair-splitting.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Witkacy

I feel we're getting off the punk thread here but since you mention that little fuck Baudrillard (no offence but he's the biggest post-structuralist... no academia intended... bag of crap around).  But do love Foucault and his sense of human suffering.  Then again Gilliam's Brazil is more Foucault than 1984.  Back to punk and what's fun....  or actually now I've been going the way of breakbeatz... a little Senor Juan B anyone?

godardian

Quote from: WitkacyI feel we're getting off the punk thread here but since you mention that little fuck Baudrillard (no offence but he's the biggest post-structuralist... no academia intended... bag of crap around).  But do love Foucault and his sense of human suffering.  Then again Gilliam's Brazil is more Foucault than 1984.  Back to punk and what's fun....  or actually now I've been going the way of breakbeatz... a little Senor Juan B anyone?

Yes, we were off topic for a bit.... but enjoyably so. I find Baudrillard is good for when you need a little perspective. Or a lot.

I don't really do "electronica" or whatever they're calling it these days (remember when it was "techno"?). I like much of Kraftwerk, and I really liked Depeche Mode as a teen (they're more nostalgia these days). I do know many people think electronic forms of music are very "punk" in their own way...

A good example of the way punk supposedly gave way to electronics: Pete Shelley's first solo album, which is actually good, though nothing on the Buzzcocks, of course.

classical gas

i recommend you start with mozart....he was pretty punk rock, yeah?  i'm sure he had the same ideals.  what is punk rock anyway, except a fraternity?  and everyone hates fraternities?  except punk has cooler members.  but there are too many rules in punk rock, which just misrepresents (word?) their whole reasons for being.

Cecil

Quote from: classical gasthere are too many rules in punk rock

such as?

godardian

Quote from: Cecil
Quote from: classical gasthere are too many rules in punk rock

such as?

I think he's talking about punk snobbery... when Maximum Rock and Roll trashes Bikini Kill because they're opening for the Go-Go's and the Go-Go's have corporate sponsorship for their tour, and on and on and on like that... it can be like a gang, or "fraternity" sometimes. A lot of those people will scream "sellout" the instant a band looks at a lucrative record deal or a wider audience, regardless of its effect on the music.

Witkacy

There are rules for all... within genres like punk (which is elitist at best) you get no acceptance unless you walk the walk but that doesn't make me think any less of the early punk bands.... but the post-punk bands really showed their teeth... The Fall, Raincoats, Magazine and PIL plus many more.  As far as electronica goes (I hate the tag).... techno was there, and house and trance and hard dance and dnb and breakbeatz and all sortz of stuff.... it's not the same as checkin out some no name band from NY coming into town.  Then again the Strokes are just early Fall with younger faces.

godardian

Quote from: WitkacyThere are rules for all... within genres like punk (which is elitist at best) you get no acceptance unless you walk the walk but that doesn't make me think any less of the early punk bands.... but the post-punk bands really showed their teeth... The Fall, Raincoats, Magazine and PIL plus many more.  As far as electronica goes (I hate the tag).... techno was there, and house and trance and hard dance and dnb and breakbeatz and all sortz of stuff.... it's not the same as checkin out some no name band from NY coming into town.  Then again the Strokes are just early Fall with younger faces.

Ah, you like Magazine, as well! I think they're great.

What you said about The Strokes: That's the main reason I like them. Pavement had a Fall thing going on, too... have you heard their cover of "The Classical"? It's on the "Major Leagues" EP, along with a cover of Echo and the Bunnymen's "Killing Moon."

Witkacy

Sorry but I haven't done a Pavement thing yet.... It's just fun to go through this stuff.  (A wink to Pas Rapport.... je m'excuse mais vous n'avez pas de rapport ici... point final). If we rock it further....the new Strokes is the same Fall essence from the past (not to say I don't like it) because i do enjoy it.  Then again I love Exile on Main Street by the Stones.

ShanghaiOrange

The Stones were pretty damn punk.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

classical gas

sorry, behind on my reply; xixax wasn't working for me last night, anyone else have the same problem?  
but yeah, i was talking about the snob thing; but it's fine, i understand it better once i pondered it a little.
i do like punk though; just not as much as my friends...well, they're more into the smiths and the 'emo' (whatever it is) kind of punk...maybe it's a completely different thing or just a spawn of punk....
i've been listening to iggy pop and the stooges as of lately and international noise conspiracy...my friends recommended the latter to me as a band that is better than the white stripes, cause he knows i love them, but i think he seems to think that the stripes are punk, when i've always thought of them as rock, bluesy kind of band.
also, what's the deal with elvis costello?  people refer to him as punk....i don't get it....also, in regards to early velvet underground...what records could you guys recommend?  i've only heard the later years.

Witkacy

I love VU... they don't have much so get any album (there's lots of live and alternate stuff out there but go for the essential stuff).  Folky noise... and power-pop rhythms what more could you ask for? Plus Nico is whacked out.