Overrated Directors?

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 17, 2003, 06:24:57 PM

cine

Where's GT when you need him...

Anyway, Usual Suspects was influenced by Rashomon in that it had flashbacks that contradicted reality.
From a personal standpoint, there really wasn't much of a payoff in the end for me. When I first watched it 8 years ago, I thought that it was kind of cool and I hadn't been introduced to Kurosawa yet so I based my feelings on US and US alone. I don't know what Mod's talking about with not being an idiot at 14 for not seeing Rashomon. I never implied there was any idiocy in not having access to films like that. But there is still a degree of ignorance that everybody has until they become more educated with films on a grander scale.
Again, after a while, the film became so insignificant in its payoff that I find the entire film to be very overrated.

SoNowThen

I can agree that it's become overrated, but that still doesn't make it a bad film, imo.

Kinda like Casablanca is overrated, but I still love it. But let me choose between it or The Third Man, and I'll take the latter every time.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileAnyway, Usual Suspects was influenced by Rashomon in that it had flashbacks that contradicted reality.

Okay, I can see that, but while "Rashomon" had variations on the 'truth' with no clear resolution; "Suspects" is all essentially a lie and is resolved. Now, I'm not saying this all makes "Suspects" original, but I don't think it's a blatant rip-off of "Rashomon's" storytelling that I thought you were getting at like, say, the recent film "Basic".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

QUIT CALLING ME AN IDIOT!!!  i've seen rashomon now, okay? sheesh.  :roll:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

j_scott_stroup04

That previous comment I made about Oliver Stone being overrated can now be disbarred...
I had the privelage of re-evaluating Nixon, U-Turn, and Natural Born Killers, and I fell in love with his films all over again.
Now, I would have to concur that he is underrated.  
I still feel that Wall Street and Heaven and Earth are overrated, and that Any Given Sunday isn't that good, but other than that, he has nothing but quality.  I guess I've been blinded by that fact for awhile.  Also, which I'm sure played a big part in this, I used to hang out with somebody whose brother hated Oliver Stone and would always nag me about how much he sucks and stuff.  I guess I gave him a second chance after listening to a plethora of down-grading remarks.  
I also borrowed Oliver Stone's America from my friend, and if whoever reads this hasn't seen that, I strongly recommend you to try your best to find a copy and watch it.  It's an hour long interview with Oliver, and it reveals all sorts of meanings and themes of his work.  He's a very smart man.  That assisted in my re-evaluation of his work.  I'm glad I did it, too.  It was well worth it.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Chest Rockwell

Since when ws Michael Bay ever considered good enough to be overrated? As far as I know no one likes him to begin with...not in a way to where he can be considered 'overrated', anyway.

ElPandaRoyal

I remember reading in an interview in the portuguese PREMIERE when Pearl Harbour came out that he was considered an auteur by many people. Well, I just didn't get it then and I don't think I get it now, but it makes this overrating valid. The man who did Armageddon or Pearl Harbour is neither an author nor anything else for that matter. He's just a money waster.
Si

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellSince when ws Michael Bay ever considered good enough to be overrated?
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5319
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Scorchoz

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04
Spaceballs sucks

Spaceballs is fucking great!

Overrated I'd have to say Kubrick is overrated for me. For sure 2001 is the most overrated movie of all time.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: El ScorchozOverrated I'd have to say Kubrick is overrated for me. For sure 2001 is the most overrated movie of all time.

I thinks it's safe to say that "you just made a fucking war on yourself that you can't afford"
Si

El Scorchoz

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal
Quote from: El ScorchozOverrated I'd have to say Kubrick is overrated for me. For sure 2001 is the most overrated movie of all time.

I thinks it's safe to say that "you just made a fucking war on yourself that you can't afford"

Nope, there is no war. Just straight up truth. I think Kubrick is like a safety blanket for a lot of newcomers to cinema. He's the one guy a lot of people say to seem like they're in the loop or something. Too many people won't challenge Kubrick and I think that's bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, the man has made some awesome movies. Clockwork and The Killing are my personal favorites and I actually like most of his other films.

But 2001 in particular is just one film I won't go along with.  I have a strong suspicion 90% of the people who claim they like it, truly don't. I just think it's easy to read a bunch of reviews and articles on why the movie is great and then claim that you saw the same qualities in it. It's an easy movie to claim to like because most mainstream audiences don't, and it's no secret film buffs love liking films that are said to be challenging.

Sometimes you can just tell a person is lying when they say, "well, I don't love it, but I can appreciate it". Yeah right. Bullshit I say, he/she has read one too many film books. I don't doubt there are people out there who actually like it, but they are in a tiny tiny minority, and let me guess, I'll probably meet them all here right? Bullshit.

Why doesn't someone else just come out and say it's overrated too. I bet you want to.

PS- Mr. Welles is overrated too , but we'll save that for another day.

SoNowThen

Ray Carney, is that you?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Scorchoz

LOL I hate Ray Carney.

SoNowThen

Why?

He'd jizz his pants over what you just posted.  :wink: