Gangs Of New York

Started by ElPandaRoyal, January 08, 2003, 05:00:27 PM

bonanzataz

kung pow was the only one. oh yeah, i remember i was getting pretty restless during the insider and left that, after having left the straight story because my seat was front row all the way to the left. two movies in a row, dangit!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. dementedto me jeepers creepers was a better film than gangs. hows that for a "sin?"

That's Commandment Number 11: Thou shall not give any praise of any sort to Jeepers Creepers. God, what an awful piece of shit. On my list for the second worst horror movie behind Blair Witch 2. The characters and story were so stupid. Although the trailer for the sequel looks promising.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

shit, i didnt know jeepers was so hated. i thought it was actually okay. not "good" but just "okay"

Ernie

Quote from: cecil b. dementedshit, i didnt know jeepers was so hated. i thought it was actually okay. not "good" but just "okay"

And you didn't even mention it in the same sentence as anything related to Scorsese like the guy said you did anyway.

Duck Sauce

I used to walk in and out of movies all weekend back in Jr High, where the purpose of going to the movies wasnt to actually see a movie.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SoNowThenTHE MOVIE OVER TWO DISKS????!!!!!!!

Why?Why?Why?Why????

I'd pay an extra ten bucks a disc for some new technology so they wouldn't have to do this.

On the plus side, nice to see a Scorsese commentary for a change.

amen. i love hearing scorsese speak. have you heard the last tempation criterion commentary -- as far as i know, this is the only commentary by marty released to this date--  is this true? if not, does anyone know any other of his films that have commentary? when the fuck is the scorsese box set going to drop?
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtishave you heard the last tempation criterion commentary -- as far as i know, this is the only commentary by marty released to this date--  is this true? if not, does anyone know any other of his films that have commentary? when the fuck is the scorsese box set going to drop?

On laserdisc:
Taxi Driver Criterion
Raging Bull Criterion
New York, New York
Tales Of Hoffman Criterion

DVD:
Last Temptation Criterion
Black Narcissus Criterion
Last Waltz
Red Shoes Criterion
Life Of Colonel Blimp Criterion

No word on the Scorsese Box set. Word is that the GoodFellas Spec. Ed. will be out around Christmas.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cowboykurtishave you heard the last tempation criterion commentary -- as far as i know, this is the only commentary by marty released to this date--  is this true? if not, does anyone know any other of his films that have commentary? when the fuck is the scorsese box set going to drop?

On laserdisc:
Taxi Driver Criterion
Raging Bull Criterion
New York, New York
Tales Of Hoffman Criterion

id give my right leg to have criterion release those films on dvd -- however,  im not holding my breath.

how is the red shoes disc? i love micheal powell -- peeping tom is wonderful, so is black narcissus -- haven'tseen red sheos however -- scorsese seems to rave about it....i think i need to make a purchase
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtishow is the red shoes disc? i love micheal powell -- peeping tom is wonderful, so is black narcissus -- haven'tseen red sheos however -- scorsese seems to rave about it....i think i need to make a purchase

Red Shoes is worth a purchase. The disc is packed with great extras. Scorsese even contributed some of his personal memorabilia. And it's an excellent film too.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Red Shoes may be my favorite Powell film. It's a toss up between that and Peeping Tom.

Keener

Quote from: xerxesso did anyone else get the weird color changes in the middle of a couple scenes???

Hehe...and I just thought it was our dollar theatre.

Regardless, I loved the movie. Good stuff.

Sorry for my lack of essayness. I'm going to go watch A Nightmare on Elm Street with my mom. She's never seen it. She tried watching it when she was younger and couldn't sit through the first five minutes due to fear. Hehe...hope she gets a visit from Freddy like I did back in my day.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

MacGuffin

Disc review from DVDFile:

The screen-specific audio commentary from Martin Scorsese was the real source of interest for me, as my entire emotional reaction to the film was largely predicated on why Scorsese wanted to make this particular labor of love in the first place, as well as its tumultuous journey to the screen. And while Scorsese makes for a wonderful guide through the rigors of production, those expecting lots of grist will be disappointed. Everything seems peachy-keen and surprisingly sedate. Scorsese's enthusiasm shines through, don't get me wrong, but it seems like many of the much-buzzed about controversies that held up the film for so long are glossed over in favor of explanations of historical and dramatic motivations. Scorsese is a great commentator - to listen to this commentary even without watching the film first is worthy of a rental - but I can't help but think it may have been toned down. (Note that this is a full-length commentary, split across two discs along with the feature.)

Entire review here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Y'know what confuses me? I read an interview where Scorsese said there'd be something like 30 minutes of deleted scenes included as an extra, yet it's not there.

Are they planning on releasing a Special Edition in the future?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

what i don't get, is that how is marty not broke now? didn't he put in his own cash cos it was so overbudget?

this didn't make any (real) money as far as i know.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pdidn't he put in his own cash cos it was so overbudget?

I dunno about that. I know Tom Cruise paid for the church set, that's why it's named St. Thomas.

Skeleton FilmWorks