The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Robyn

Quote from: Pubrick on May 27, 2012, 08:51:03 AM
i'm writing a longish post in reply to pozer's poignant question.

I think everyone just waits for you to post that.

You know what we're doing in the meaintime...

malkovich

Reel

oh Man, no way am I sleeping. You rule, Malk.

Ravi

What's with the two teasers so far being cropped to 1.78:1?

ElPandaRoyal

Oh dear. When does this come out in Portugal, I wonder?

Well, maybe the 1.78:1 will be the format of the movie. I personally love his wide compositions, but at the same time it's always kind of interesting to see great filmmakers try new things.
Si

Ravi

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on June 19, 2012, 07:46:21 AM
Well, maybe the 1.78:1 will be the format of the movie. I personally love his wide compositions, but at the same time it's always kind of interesting to see great filmmakers try new things.

I figured since it was shot on 65mm that the aspect ratio would be 2.20:1 or cropped slightly from that to 2.39:1  :ponder:

Fernando

I know it's only two teasers, but it seems Joaquin Phoenix hit it out of the park..

DocSportello

aaaagh this is so cool! I loved the first one and watched it like 25 times but it gave too little away. Now with this one there is just enough tease between the two. It looks so sun soaked and vintage. Joaquin is insane. We're already getting a sense of a large, densely layered personality from PSH's character. I love how PTA took the DYI aspect from his CMBB teaser but is taking it further with these same-score tid bits and this time it's obviously with the consent of Weinstein. This is what I needed. I was stoked before but now there is little doubt in my mind that what we are waiting on will be a great great film. Fuck to the yes.

noyes

Good ol' Paul.

Anyone know if there will be a pre-screening like the Museum of Moving Image screening in December 2007 at that Chelsea theater?
Then again it's too early to tell. What a kick that was. 

Haven't been on here in awhile but of course PTA brings me back.
south america's my name.

Pedro

Reel

I'm always expecting that trash can to blow up behind him like with Johnny Boy at the beginning of Mean Streets.

Also, someone needs to transcribe what's being said at the 1:00 mark

polkablues

I need to remember never to read the comment threads on other sites about these trailers.  The dumbest comment on Xixax is still smarter than the smartest comment on EW.com or Gawker. 
My house, my rules, my coffee

P Heat

this made my day :yabbse-grin:

I think P.T himself decided to cropped the teasers in the ratios they are. I used to be a little mad about it but they do look stunning on my 23'in screen in HD. Favorite part in it is Amy Adams.. what a milf :shock: Someone here said that P.T didn't make the trailer (I think) and made me think that for a few days. Now cigs and vines is saying its by him.

@Reelist, I was thinking mean streets too! lol but when the camera moves, it reminds me of another movie.. I can't lay my finger on it.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Jeremy Blackman

There are definitely echoes of PDL in that tracking shot. I wonder if The Master will describe mental illness (or whatever it is) in a similar way.

Also, when is PSH going to run out of distinct performances? Just from this trailer, you already know it's unlike anything he's done before. Which at this stage is just baffling.

Pozer

that tracking shot of freddie is so tracking shot of plainview walking out the train.

i love these teasers.

paul is literally saving cinema for me.

again.