Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

edison

Quote from: finlayrI think there's a few people here that are very very jealous of Tarantino's success as a filmmaker.  It's very sad..  Awww...  It's okay, you'll get to make yours someday...c'mon now...let's not rag on a film we haven't seen.. and remember the function of a teaser poster is to make people say "Hmm, what's that about?  Is it about a wedding?  Who's The Bride?"  And not only does it look great but it satisfies peoples curiosity.  So eh...that's why it's brilliant and the movie's gonna rule...

1. not jealous bc im not a filmmaker nor am i wanting to make films.
2. im glad hes very successful, and i always look forward to his newest films.
3. i know the function of a teaser poster, all i was saying was that really all it needs to say is his name in bold, no 4th film, no from the maker of...just his name and that all that is needed.

Ernie

Yea, I guess the whole "4th Film by QT" thing never really bothered me either...again, I would never advertise myself like that but it's cool for him and I love the new tagline too, lol...that fucking rocks.

finlayr

eez28:  I wasn't giving out to you, I was just strongly disagreeing that's all.  I think 'the 4th film from QT' thing is great, because it totally pumps up his loyal fans, i mean , this is a huge deal for me to know that quentin tarantino's next film is arriving soon and it looks and sounds great.  I didn't read the screenplay 'cause I don't wanna ruin it for myself.  i swear, the second the title card: "A film by Quentin Tarantino' pops up on screen in the film, I'll stand up in the audience and spunk all over the place.  I'll be THAT happy.  The 4th film thing also reminds people that True Romance, Dusk Till Dawn et al were not what you would class as official Tarantino films.  Res Dogs (classic), Pulp Ficiton (classic and changed cinema forever), Jackie Brown (classic)...and now his first original work since Pulp.  God I can't wait...
Filmmaker

Fernando

From Latinoreview.

Daryl Hannah On Kill Bill

How did you get the part in Kill Bill? (Daryl plays the ruthless Elle Driver. The type of character you’ll love to hate. Her eye patch incident will have you gripping your seat.)

Daryl: Quentin showed up in my dressing room in a theater in London. Flew all the way there just to tell me he’d written something for me.

Can you talk about your training for Kill Bill?

Daryl: It was actually really good for this film [Casa de los Babys] because of all the training that I had been doing for Kill Bill kind of paid off…I have an athletic disposition, not that I keep it up, but I have that disposition, but it’s definitely helpful because I learned all that stuff pretty fast and of course loved it too. I would sit there and wait for the fight team to be finished with everybody else and be, “Can I get back on the wires?” [Different voice.] “Okay, one more flip.” ‘Cause I just think it’s fun, you get to fly. It was fun.

What do you think about the film being cut into two volumes, two films?

Daryl: I think that it is the only thing to do because this script was that big [puts her fingers into a three inch position.] It was a phone book, it was. It was the size of a telephone book and he added stuff while we were shooting. It’s his Magnum Opus. It is. It’s what he calls it. And it’s all the genres that he is obsessed with, it’s Japanese anime, spaghetti western, and kung-fu all combined into one.

How long did it take you to read the script?

Daryl: As soon as I got it I sat there and read it all at once.

Did you immediately think you wanted to do it?

Daryl: Well, I mean it’s the same thing with Quentin and John Sayles, you just—you don’t even say [dramatic voice] “What’s the part?” [Laughs] You just go, “Yeah, okay. Whatever, and how much will I be paying to do this? How much will it cost me?”

Have you seen the film yet?

Daryl: No, I’ve seen pieces of it.

What do you think it’s going to be like?

Daryl: Oh my God. The parts that I’ve seen, it wasn’t the parts that I’m in, but parts that I’ve seen of--from the House of Blue Leaves, it’s just stunning, it’s just amazing. It was really really really different from anything I’ve ever seen before because the—Bob Richardson is the cameraman and the camera work is just spectacular and it just floats through this scene and every extra has his own story going on, but it’s not—their own story adds to the whole story and the story doesn’t stop for a fight scene. The story evolves through the fight scenes and grows and changes to you know, it’s hard to explain…its really striking.

Did Quentin give you a lot of homework?

Daryl: Seventy-five video tapes…and coming over to his house and watching double features and having to go to work in the morning and having to watch ‘Jackass.’ That was really bad ‘cause he discovered ‘Jackass’ right in the middle of my fight. The week we were shooting my fight scene, so then my fight scene became “And today we’re going to throw snot in your face! And then, now we’re going to smash a lamp in your face, and now!! Flush your head down the toilet!” [Fist in front of her] Johnny Knoxville!

MacGuffin

Thurman to Kill Bill a Second Time on February 20
Source: Variety

Miramax has set the release for the Quentin Tarantino-directed Kill Bill: Volume 2 for February 20, 2004. Kill Bill: Volume 1 will be released on October 10, and there was speculation both halves would be released this year.

Aside from marketing considerations, the split decision has awards implications. "Volume 1" is eligible for Oscars this year and "Volume Two" will be eligible next year. Oscar voters will no longer have to weigh two halves of this franchise that would have been competing for the same vote.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

well, i guess that's not too long of a wait.  i hope i dont die in between those two dates.

Ernie

Quote from: FernandoFrom Latinoreview.

Daryl Hannah On Kill Bill!

Cool stuff...I gotta say Fernando, your posts can be described just as John Goodman describes Delmar's sparse speakig habits in O Brother, Where Art Thou...you don't post a lot but, when you do, it's important and to the point. You don't seem to ever fuck around...that's how I got myself into trouble. Just wanted to commend you for what it's worth.

Quote from: ewardi hope i dont die in between those two dates.

Lol...I guess the wait is a little longer than I wanted it to be. I was hoping for a Christmas release for this one. But oh well...

Banky

i was flipping through this months Fangoria and it was on KILL BILL.  It shows some of the gore in the film and it looks fucking awsome.

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Kill Bill Anime
A still from the film's anime segment...
Source: FilmForce

*SOME STORY SPOILERS ABOUT WHAT THE ANIME IS OF*

In Kill Bill, Uma Thurman stars as the Bride, a former assassin betrayed by her boss, Bill (David Carradine). Four years after surviving a bullet in the head, the Bride emerges from a coma and swears revenge on her former master and his Deadly Viper Assassination Squad (DiVAS). The Bride travels from the El Paso backroads to Pasadena suburbia to Okinawa sushi bars to the Tokyo yakuza gang territory hunting down the gang's members, played by Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox, Daryl Hannah and Michael Madsen.

Miramax has said that Tarantino fans can expect plenty of the director's signature flavor... homages to Kung Fu movies, spaghetti westerns, and pop culture references.

Another thing that fans can expect is a bit of anime in the film.  There's at least one animated sequence in the movie that tells the origin story of Lucy Liu's character.  We're not sure about the other sequences, if there are any, but we've scored an exclusive first look at the anime from the film – I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that that's Bill (he's played by David Carradine in the film). The animation was apparently done by the same studio that does Ghost in the Shell.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 hits on October 10 and the second installment is set to debut in theaters on February 20.

See the still here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Reminder:

PRIMETIME MONDAY co-anchor Chris Cuomo talks with director Quentin Tarantino and actress Daryl Hannah about the upcoming film "Kill Bill: Volume One." The interview will air as part of an edition of PRIMETIME MONDAY focusing on Hollywood, airing MONDAY, SEPT. 22 (8:00-9:00 pm ET) on your ABC station.

http://www.abcmedianet.com/progcal/getphotos.htm?assetid=PH4406

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: MacGuffinReminder:

PRIMETIME MONDAY co-anchor Chris Cuomo talks with director Quentin Tarantino and actress Daryl Hannah about the upcoming film "Kill Bill: Volume One." The interview will air as part of an edition of PRIMETIME MONDAY focusing on Hollywood, airing MONDAY, SEPT. 22 (8:00-9:00 pm ET) on your ABC station.

http://www.abcmedianet.com/progcal/getphotos.htm?assetid=PH4406

This interview sorta sucked, i didnt learn anything new from it, and i didnt see and new shots from KB that i havent already seen. oh well.

MacGuffin

Quote from: EEz28This interview sorta sucked, i didnt learn anything new from it, and i didnt see and new shots from KB that i havent already seen. oh well.

Yeah, it didn't really go into much into his interview, and it seems the questions that should have been addressed to him (the reception to "Jackie Brown," for example) were asked to the actors. It should have been the entire hour instead of ten minutes. Although I loved it when he said, "'Master Of The Flying Guillotine' - one of the greatest kung-fu movies of all time."  :yabbse-thumbup:

Skeleton FilmWorks

martinthewarrior

aclockworkjj

damn you guys are harsh...for only 10 mins. I sat through it.  Sure, coulda been longer, and came complete with a commentary track or something...but, shit...I was just happy to see anything about this guy!  He has been MIA.  I guess I woulda probably  found anything talking about his films interestin' thou.  It was ABC, what did you all expect?

ono

I liked it for what it was, a fluff piece to boost his movie and give fanboys like us a glimpse at the master at work and play.  But still, I wanted more, too.  Primetime Live isn't the place for that, though.  I'd love to see him on Charlie Rose again or something, or heh, Larry King, if he hasn't been already.  Wish Tom Snyder was still around.  The few times I watched him, he always got good interviews.  That was a while back, though.  Inside the Actors Studio might be cool to see him on, too.  Coppola did it, so why not him?  (Heh, although I realize he might have, and I'm just not privy to it.)

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd rather him sit down with someone who knew as much about movies as him.  He did the foreword for Harry Knowles' book.  He could do it.  Or, Roger Ebert would do a great interview with him.  I never did get to watch Ebert's show during the time it was co-host-less.  Did Tarantino ever guest host?  Not that that's the same as an interview by any means.