Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

MacGuffin

Allen Eyeing Johannson and Hall for Spanish Film
Source: ComingSoon

Screen Daily reports that Woody Allen wants to cast Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall (The Prestige) opposite Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem in his new film, to be shot in Barcelona, Spain this summer.

Allen described the story as "romantic but serious." A script has been completed and Allen is currently auditioning English-speaking actors.

Prized Spanish cinematographer Javier Aguirresarobe has been tapped for the film as part of a reportedly all-Spanish crew. The film will also shoot in Oviedo, a city in Spain 's northern Asturias region.

Johannson previously starred in Allen's Scoop and Match Point.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Allen makes opera debut

NEW YORK -- Woody Allen is having his night at the opera. The veteran director will make his operatic stage debut this fall with the Los Angeles Opera's production of Giacomo Puccini's "Gianni Schicchi."

Fellow film director William Friedkin returns to stage Puccini's "Il Tabarro" and "Suor Angelica," with the three one-act operas rounding out the composer's "Il Trittico" triptych, opening the company's 2008/2009 season.

"I have no idea what I am doing," said Allen, "but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm." 

The company's broad general director and opera singing legend Plácido Domingo recruited the notoriously LA-phobic director to his stage. "I've seduced many a film director into directing opera, starting with John Schlesinger and "The Tales of Hoffmann" at London's Covent Garden," Mr. Domingo said. "I will admit that my pursuit of Woody takes the prize of the longest pursuit, because LA Opera chairman and CEO Marc Stern and I first started talking to him some four years ago." Friedkin previously directed for the company in 2003.

The production will be designed by Santo Loquasto, who has worked as a prtoduction designer on more than 20 of Allen's films. Music director James Conlon will conduct the production, which opens on Sept. 6, 2008.

Allen's section of the 1918 triptych is based on a story referenced in Dante's "The Divine Comedy" involving a dramatic showdown over money and marriage. The director recently released his first collection of short stories in 25 years, "Mere Anarchy." He hosted a suprise premiere of his latest film, "Cassandra's Dream," in Aviles, Spain this week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen finds love in Barcelona
Director unveils cast details of latest feature
Source: Variety

BARCELONA -- Woody Allen and Barcelona declared their affection for each other at a sweltering press conference on Monday with a phalanx of pols and security guards in attendance.

"I hope I can present Barcelona to the world as I see it, the same way I presented Manhattan to the world as I saw it with my eyes," said Allen, dressed in a natty fly-fisherman hat, as he unveiled a few more details about his next pic, which shoots in Spain from July 9.

"I want to write a love letter to Barcelona and from Barcelona to the world," he added, as much perhaps by way of diplomacy as clarification.

That affection is returned by Barcelona and Spain at large.

Standing next to him, Spain's ebullient Culture Minister Carmen Calvo proved Allen's closest fan, producing a fuchsia-colored abanico to profusely fan the director, before declaring that Allen "makes philosophy with cinema. He's a brilliant example of what cinema represents in contemporary culture."

The little news that emerged from the press conference was that Patricia Clarkson, Kevin Dunn and Chris Messina have joined the cast.

Toplining Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz, a shroud of silence surrounds pic's title and subject -- as is usual with Allen's pics.

The press conference did at least round out the full cast of the film, which is produced by Gravier and Spain's Mediapro.

Zak Orth ("Music and Lyrics") and Pablo Schreiber ("Lords of Dogtown") join the already-announced Carrie Preston in secondary roles.

Local thesps scoring parts include Abel Folk, Lluis Homar, Joel Joan, Julio Perillan and Mireia Ros.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Mediapro woos Woody Allen
Pair likely to extend business relationship
Source: Variety

Woody Allen looks set to make two more pics with Spain's Mediapro, the co-producer of Allen's untitled Barcelona-set pic, now in post.

Mediapro is in talks with Gravier Prods., the shingle of Allen's sister Letty Aronson.

Speaking at a packed press dinner at the San Sebastian Film Festival, Mediapro topper Jaume Roures said he and Allen have "a verbal agreement" to jointly make one film in Europe, outside Spain, and another "a little bit further away."

No deal had been signed with Allen, he said. Nor had he seen anything from Allen's Spanish shoot, and wouldn't until Easter. By that time, a deal could be tied down for the future projects.

Allen's Barcelona project, now in post and toplining Scarlett Johansson, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, had begun with a verbal agreement, Roures said.

Money should be no problem for Mediapro, which has recently picked up multi-year TV rights to Spanish soccer clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Roures declined to detail the future projects' subjects: That's hardly surprising since little is known about Allen's Barcelona pic, save for its fall 2008 release date, despite the fact it has been one of the most paparazzied productions in Spanish history.

The Allen projects underscore the emergence of Mediapro as one of the most ambitious production houses in Spain.

"Mediapro intends to make three to four films a year. The problem we have in Spain is a lack of ambition. The solution is to make bigger films and lower-budget, new talent-driven projects," Roures said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

idk

Just saw Scoop and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.  So far my fav WA film although the only others ive seen are "Match Point" and "Broadway Danny Rose". It did seem to end a little to fast but still pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty funny, oh and good.

cine

Quote from: idk on November 19, 2007, 11:41:44 PMSo far my fav WA film although the only others ive seen are "Match Point" and "Broadway Danny Rose". 

wait.. what?

Pubrick

Quote from: idk on November 19, 2007, 11:41:44 PM
Just saw Scoop and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.  So far my fav WA film although the only others ive seen are "Match Point" and "Broadway Danny Rose".

ah, to be a greenhorn again. between this and bottle rocket, i'm expecting you next to say The Departed is your favourite scorsese film.

that's cool tho. i was the same way, you first get into whatever's most recent at the time of your initiation. my introduction to woody was his mid-90s output, mighty aphrodite, everyone says i love you, and especially Deconstructing Harry. i was like "wow DH is the best movie ever".

except, unlike you, i was lucky in that they were actual woody allen films.
under the paving stones.

idk

Quotethat's cool tho. i was the same way, you first get into whatever's most recent at the time of your initiation. my introduction to woody was his mid-90s output, mighty aphrodite, everyone says i love you, and especially Deconstructing Harry. i was like "wow DH is the best movie ever".

except, unlike you, i was lucky in that they were actual woody allen films.

well im getting to his others...i take it you didn't think much of Scoop

I feel like im being unfairly criticized

Quotei'm expecting you next to say The Departed is your favourite scorsese film.

It is!! but then again only out of the 3 ive seen

Pubrick

Quote from: idk on November 20, 2007, 06:45:51 PM
well im getting to his others...i take it you didn't think much of Scoop

I feel like im being unfairly criticized

my bad, i should've been clearer: you havn't seen a woddy allen film yet.

Quote from: idk on November 20, 2007, 06:45:51 PM
Quotei'm expecting you next to say The Departed is your favourite scorsese film.

It is!! but then again only out of the 3 ive seen

were the other 2 also from the last 7 years? you haven't seen a martin scorsese film yet.

it's not a real criticism cos it's not your fault, it's only your bad luck that the films these great directors have made since 2000 are not indicative of what made them great to begin with. so your perception will either be tainted by what you've been exposed to, or you'll look back on these innocent times and say "ah, to be a greenhorn again."
under the paving stones.

w/o horse

Quote from: Pubrick on November 20, 2007, 12:35:48 AM
my introduction to woody was his mid-90s output, mighty aphrodite, everyone says i love you, and especially Deconstructing Harry. i was like "wow DH is the best movie ever".

Yeah.  Deconstructing Harry is still one of my favorites of his.  idk you should check out Deconstructing Harry.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

tpfkabi

idk, if you have Turner Classic Movies, search the schedule, I've seen several of Woody's films free in my own home that way.

Take the Money and Run airs today (Sat the 24th at 10:15 est).
It's his first solely directed film and it's very funny.

I picked up Sleeper in the used DVD bin for a few bucks not too long ago, and it's great as well.

Did anyone buy the Allen box sets from 2000/01?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hedwig

tpfkabi

no comprende.
deep discount's sale may be a good time to pick one up.
i just wonder how long (or even if) expanded editions of his films will come out - and yes i know, he's personally said he's not big on doing extras, but Kubrick's works were essentially barebones for the longest.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hedwig

this is nothing, but give me your computer.

cine

hahaha this will never end.