The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

In any case, it's somewhat interesting that PTA has done a number of period pieces:

- Paper Bag video
- Across the Universe video
- CMBB
- Boogie

Tell me if I'm missing anything.

Does he have a thing for period pieces? Why do I remember him mentioning this in an interview?

Pubrick

Across the uni and paper bag were favours for fi so they don't mean much, they are non canon.

The significance of films set in the past is really only a recent phenomenon as I mentioned in that post many pages back (or was it in another thread? I dunno) . So you can preemptively add Inherent Vice to your list. I think his films from now on are going have to take place in some old period, as long as he remains obsessed with foundation of empire type stories he's going to have to keep going back (boogie was a proto precursor to this).

I also think Inherent Vice will be a "breather" in between huge productions, like PDL was after boogie and maggie.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

I didn't mean it was a meaningful thing... maybe just a peculiar preference or a quirky delight.

Do you believe none of his music videos are canon?

polkablues

Across the Universe I understand, since it was set in the Pleasantville world, but I don't see how you can divorce the Paper Bag video from PT's vision.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Criterion Collection has been trying to release Martin Scorsese's short films for years as a single DVD release. They are short forms of his filmmaking, but still considered part of his filmmaking history. The music videos had a chance to matter more if I believe PTA was committed and he may be in the future as an outlet in between features, but their shorter lengths does not hinder much for me. Because of their limited number, they are (as I guess) a huge extra on the DVD for a feature film like Polanski's shorts are for Knife in the Water.

Jeremy Blackman

In Pubrick's defense, I'm pretty sure he meant that they are non-canonical in terms of meaning and his arc... and I think I can agree with that.

Pubrick

Yes that's what I meant.

The best of the lot is fast as you can and honestly it contains barely any good ideas, the highlight being where she wipes the screen/lens in the slow part of the song but overall any student idiot could have made the same video (perhaps without access to the old time camera).

They are just not worth discussing other than "this is what he was wasting his time on instead of writing another masterpiece of cinema". And the less said about his short films, the better. They're even worse than scorsese's..
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Dunno, Couch was pretty amazing.

Fernando

Gold Trumpet

I think if you scope your observations in the right manner, quality things can be said about the music videos.

polkablues

Paper Bag and Try are two of the best music videos of all time.  OF ALL TIME!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I also love both of those videos. And Across the Universe. Those might be the 3 best.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

What's the source on that? That's not based on the article, is it? Because the article might just be calling it The Master like we've all been calling it The Master.

P Heat

maybe P.T has been looking at my/our idiotic fan cult posts, as well as reading news with the title and decided he liked it.

Josh Close: As leading disciple makes me more confused on where Joaquin's role stands. I sense that there might be a clashing rivalry between the two.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P