The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Reel

I thought Two Lovers was masterful, hopefully most of you have seen that.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, Two Lovers is a confidence booster for his acting chops. Before that movie, I would have questioned the choice, but great selection.

Stefen

To Die For.

Most underrated Gus Van Sant flick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Joaquin lost a lot of caché with me with the whole I'm Still Here fiasco, but there's no doubt he's a talented actor. I was kind of hoping that after losing Renner, PTA would go to looking at younger actors, but I can live with this if that's how it pans out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

P Heat

BEST NEWS since megan ellison backing up Paul's films

Great choice; I can see Joaquin as a drunk. Renner was a good choice too but Joaquin seems more of Paul's style if that makes sense lol
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

socketlevel

Quote from: P Heat on April 12, 2011, 09:59:26 PM

Great choice; I can see Joaquin as a drunk. Renner was a good choice too but Joaquin seems more of Paul's style if that makes sense lol

from the 3 or so films of Renner's performances i've seen, his diversity is meager at best.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pozer

i'm with polks on hoping he'd go with a younger dude. or Gosling. was kinda secretly hoping he'd go Gosling. and P.T. Awkwardson would make for a nice clumsy coupling though.

i'm just excited that Massuh seems to be pulling ahead of the other one.

socketlevel

naw PTA isn't awkward, that's just called cocaine

Stefen

Quote from: socketlevel on April 12, 2011, 11:12:44 PM
Quote from: P Heat on April 12, 2011, 09:59:26 PM

from the 3 or so films of Renner's performances i've seen, his diversity is meager at best.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Dude's kind of a bum. He beat a couple of prospects and past their prime journeyman, but he's never beaten a contender. He'd probably get knocked out in this. Make his whole corner look like chumps.

Phoenix is like the contender who never really cared about challenging the champ. He was fine just collecting paychecks and knocking dudes out in their hometown. If the chance came, he'd take it, but he wasn't going to lose sleep over not holding the strap. Everyone respects him and he's paid his dues, he just went about his career in a different way.

Now Gosling, that dudes the champ right there. He's like 50-0. But he might be ducking dudes these days. Protecting his rep.

Now if only Reese Witherbitch can get stuck in a well. She's the worst. Luckily she'll probably opt for another forgettable rom-com instead. The last thing we need here is a Walk the Line reunion. Walk the Line was the worst movie ever made. Can you imagine how, on the red carpet, even tho this movie was nominated for nothing but non-acting awards, the only questions presented are, "Why is it when you two get together, it always spells awards? Who are you wearing?"

Eff outta here.

Jessica Chastain should get the role. Malick approved >>> Mangold approved.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on April 13, 2011, 12:13:18 AM
Now if only Reese Witherbitch can get stuck in a well. She's the worst. Luckily she'll probably opt for another forgettable rom-com instead. The last thing we need here is a Walk the Line reunion. Walk the Line was the worst movie ever made. Can you imagine how, on the red carpet, even tho this movie was nominated for nothing but non-acting awards, the only questions presented are, "Why is it when you two get together, it always spells awards? Who are you wearing?"

ditto on all that, I forgot she was even attached, luckily reese witlesspoon no longer is.

as for renner I liked that choice and if there's anyone that can pull a good performance out of someone is PTA, he even made act Sandler, ADAM SANDLER for effs sake.

P Heat

LOL at Stefen's post. Didn't even notice that, forgot withherspoon was supposed to be on this. shes horrible,  if worse comes to worse Paul should hit up Mrs. Moore :yabbse-grin: perfect match with PSH.

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

socketlevel

Quote from: Fernando on April 13, 2011, 12:50:49 AM
Quote from: Stefen on April 13, 2011, 12:13:18 AM

ditto on all that, I forgot she was even attached, luckily reese witlesspoon no longer is.

as for renner I liked that choice and if there's anyone that can pull a good performance out of someone is PTA, he even made act Sandler, ADAM SANDLER for effs sake.

wouldn't worry too much, i've read the script and any role she could have would be small.

cinemanarchist

Harvey Weinstein Buys World Rights To Paul Thomas Anderson's Untitled Next Film
source : Deadline.com

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has won a quiet but fevered bidding battle for worldwide distribution rights to the untitled next film by Paul Thomas Anderson. The film begins production June 13, with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix so far set to star. Megan Ellison is financing. It is Anderson's first trip behind the camera since There Will Be Blood.

Hoffman and Phoenix are locked. As for the actresses, I'm told that Anderson is eyeing such actresses as Madisen Beaty (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) for a role, with Amy Adams, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo's Lena Endre and Laura Dern also mentioned as actresses Anderson is interested in. The auction was held at CAA headquarters late last week, with Fox Searchlight was also squarely in the mix.

This is the project that Anderson has worked on for a long time, once under the title The Master. He has greatly overhauled the script and now, Hoffman stars as a man who returns after witnessing the horrors of WWII and tries to rediscover who he is in post-war America. He creates a belief system, something that catches on with other lost souls. The film is fully financed by Ellison's Annapurna banner. At a time when the implosion of the indie film marketplace made pricey auteur films so hard to finance, Ellison has emerged as a something of a godsend to the small group of auteurs she is working with. She's enabled Anderson to make the movie at or near the $35 million budget the film was going to cost back when Universal stepped away.

The deal gives TWC a big title to bring to the Cannes Film Festival this week. More to come...
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Sleepless

This is the first word of an official start date right? And just from that simple description is sounds like the script has definitely been reworked considerably from the draft we read.

The Weinstein news concerns me some given his reputation for bullying filmmakers who aren't Tarantino. On the other hand, he has proven capable at winning awards.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

matt35mm

Quote from: Sleepless on May 09, 2011, 02:32:56 PM
This is the first word of an official start date right? And just from that simple description is sounds like the script has definitely been reworked considerably from the draft we read.

The Weinstein news concerns me some given his reputation for bullying filmmakers who aren't Tarantino. On the other hand, he has proven capable at winning awards.

It sounds like it's been reworked quite a bit, yeah.

Also, because of PTA's early experience with Rysher and Hard Eight/Sydney, he's always been really weary and savvy about keeping control, so I'm not too worried.