Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

MacGuffin

Will Smith Emerges As Frontrunner to Star in Quentin Tarantino's Next Film (Exclusive)
Project is a spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife.
Source: THR

Will Smith has emerged as the frontrunner to star in Quentin Tarantino's next film, a spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife. Tarantino stalwarts Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz also are circling key parts. Django Unchained, Tarantino's follow up to his worldwide blockbuster Inglourious Basterds, will be distributed domestically by the Weinstein Co. but Tarantino is in the process of selecting a studio partner to release the film internationally. Sources say he is meeting with Universal executives today, and similar meetings with Sony, Paramount, Warner Bros. and possibly others have been scheduled. Sources prepped for those meetings say Tarantino would like Smith to star in the film, the script for which has been making the rounds in recent days to wide acclaim. No official offer has been made to Smith, and any deal would of course be subject to working out finacials, which might be difficult given Smith's status as one of Hollywood's few sure-thing stars. Indeed, although Smith has been out of multiplexes since 2008's Seven Pounds, he is still considered among the top two or three box office draws worldwide. Smith is being teed-up for the title role of Django, a freed slave who seeks to reunite with his slave wife, a journey which will see him team up with a German bounty hunter to take down an evil plantation owner. Tarantino wrote the bounty hunter part with Waltz in mind, according to insiders. The German ends up training Django and helping him seek his wife. Jackson would play the house slave to the bad guy, Monsieur Calvin Candie. The slave is an expert manipulator and will face off with Django. Smith and his reps have received the screenplay, which could be a hot potato due to the themes of racism and the liberal use of the N-word. It's unclear whether Smith has read the script yet. The actor manages his image very carefully but the part is heroic and could be iconic. And let's not forget that Denzel Washington won his two Oscars playing characters who used the N-word. Tarantino is aiming for a fall shoot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I didn't think it'd be funny to suggest the man even as a joke.  Really horrible development that's hopefully unfounded.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pas

Reel

No one hates Will Smith more than me, but strangely enough, I'm not bothered by it. I guess it's just the Tarantino-y choice given his box office draw and action movie experience ( I can't help but be reminded of Wild Wild West now...puke) I haven't liked anything he's been in since Six Degrees of Separation..which is exactly why he needs a QT flick to change it up a bit.  The idea of a light-skinnded slave never crossed my mind, but it makes sense for Django's character. Maybe some white slave owner raped his Mom's, giving him even more of a reason to retaliate. It's a surprising choice, but at least it means this shit's gonna be made...and seen.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Will this project be 3D?  The thought just popped into my head.  Recently he stated he would have liked if Kill Bill had been 3D, and says he plans to make the next Kill Bill in 3D.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Fernando

I doubt he'll do it in 3d, but if he does he'll do it to see 3d feet

Satcho9

Anyone have a legit PDF link that isn't that bogus 14 page version you can PM me?

theyarelegion

sorry guys when I was looking for the script I came across that phony version first and forgot to delete it.

here's the real script:

http://hotfile.com/dl/117067285/bbba80b/Django_Unchained_TARANTINO.pdf.html

Reel

shit still don't work. It's no biggie, don't worry bout it. From now on when I read the script I'm gonna imagine Will Smith's face and be like, uck. Still gotta read it anyway.

this shit works, y'all

http://www.filestube.com/1M80CFIzXyL1pbxjs8N6r6/Django-Unchained-TARANTINO.html

Jeremy Blackman

I'm still hoping this is a rumor or some sick joke, but it's getting more legit by the day:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036551

"Multiple sources tell Variety that he's already been informally offered the role."

Gold Trumpet

One of the bigger ego boosts for a director is to put an actor into an unlikely role and change people's opinions about them. I completely believe this story. With that said, I don't believe Will Smith is beyond challenging his movie bankability to make a decent picture. Since I have never seem him do a role similar to what is described in this film, I rather remain skeptical instead of disgusted.