New Fall Shows

Started by Kal, May 16, 2006, 09:54:40 AM

modage

there is not one New Fall Show i want to watch. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Will Britney Be Matthew Perry's New TV Friend?

The New York Post's Liz Smith herself admits it's a "long shot," but nonetheless reports that some NBC mucky-mucks believe Britney Spears could be just the ticket to play opposite Matthew Perry in a new sitcom. The tentatively titled Occasional Wife has the Friends alum attached to play a guy who persuades a young, wacky artist to pose as his missus, so as to bolster his career. Assessing Spears' fit for the female lead, one Peacock insider tells Smith, "There's something about her that just connects with the audience.... They want her to succeed now in spite of her adversity."

Weird. Oh

there isn't really anything great in the way of new falls shows . I watched most of the pilots a few months back and the only one that might keep my attention is Pushing Daises because the main girl is a Zooey Deschanel (sp.) knockoff. It's a ripoff of that French Amelie style and the special power of the main character isn't exactly a new theme in shows these days. So really, the only new show that I like is Californication on Showtime but even that isn't a 'great' show but i'll give it time.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Kal

I watched the pilot episode for The Big Bang Theory. It's not bad, but I dont think it can be funny after 2-3 episodes. The nerds are funny but its nothing compared to The Office or 30 Rock, and I think after some time of watching the same stuff it will be very boring.

Anybody else seen it? It's a free download on iTunes.

Weird. Oh

Quote from: kal on September 21, 2007, 02:35:47 AM
I watched the pilot episode for The Big Bang Theory. It's not bad, but I dont think it can be funny after 2-3 episodes. The nerds are funny but its nothing compared to The Office or 30 Rock, and I think after some time of watching the same stuff it will be very boring.

Anybody else seen it? It's a free download on iTunes.

personally, not a fan of shows with canned laughter. I think the best character on that show is the Wolowitz guy. I think he had the best timing. I mean, really with this show, throwing glasses on a guy making him a 'nerd' and the hot girl that falls for the nerd somewhat is very trite.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

MacGuffin

Quote from: 72teeth on September 18, 2007, 07:33:16 PM
So how do you guys think The Bionic Woman is going to hold up? It sounds like a bad idea but that pilot was so darn good!!!

Yay T.V.!!!

Really? 'Cause there was more that I didn't like than liked; a lot more, starting with the lead actress. She was too robotic (pun intended) and uncharismatic; all the other cast members felt miscast too. Were the other females, especially the blondes, supposed to look like Russian shemales? Then there was the car crash that caused her to lose her eye, arm and legs, yet her boyfriend had only a scratch on his forehead and was able to perform the surgery on her. He suffered more injury when she threw him against the window than the big rig flipping their car over four times and crashing into a light pole. That just really stuck out to me in trying to suspend disbelief, almost like not noticing the obvious use of wires and when the guys are pulling on them when she jumps buildings.

It felt like the show was trying to be another Heroes, with the learning how to use the "powers" and even the first bionic woman calling herself a "freak." But it also is ripping off other superheroes with the aforementioned building jump scene from Spider-Man and the fast running in Superman: The Movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I caught up on three new shows last night.

REAPER is a great idea for a show (a slacker is forced into action when a deal his parents made with the devil requires him to become a bounty hunter for hell) but the execution wasn't quite interesting enough.  The main character and his best friend are the same straight man/hyper funny guy pairing that we've seen in every slacker story ever (including Chuck but it works there so far) and it's another Heroes bandwagon show with the main character developing a superpower with a pretty lame payoff in this episode. 

But it had a few good moments here and there that made me think it could get better if they find their stride soon enough.  Plus, Leland Palmer is the devil.  I'll give it another episode or two and hope for the best but ideally, this would have been made as a movie 10-12 years ago starring Ben Affleck and Jack Black.

I liked JOURNEYMAN more than Raikus did but I agree with him pretty much.  I can see myself watching the show week after week but I said the same thing about The Nine last year and only watched the first episode, so we'll see how that goes.

And DIRTY SEXY MONEY is pretty much Bret Easton Ellis' Arrested Development.  It's not as great of a show as Six Feet Under (mentioned only because this was created by one of the better writers on that show) and I don't expect it to last because the characters are SO unlikable and not Desperate Housewives catty, but I'm in so far.  The biggest complaint I have is that it could be more biting.  It feels like they're holding way back because they're not on HBO or Showtime.  But I'm preparing for its cancellation already.

MacGuffin

So I watched Barry Sonnenfeld's "Push Th' Little Daisies And Make 'Em Come Up" and really enjoyed it. Funny, charming, well-written. The two leads make a great couple.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 03, 2007, 11:10:27 PM
So I watched Barry Sonnenfeld's "Push Th' Little Daisies And Make 'Em Come Up" and really enjoyed it. Funny, charming, well-written. The two leads make a great couple.

do they use ween as the theme song?
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on October 06, 2007, 02:32:35 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on October 03, 2007, 11:10:27 PM

do they use ween as the theme song?

No, but whenever I heard the title, Pushing Daisies, I always had that song in my head.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

NBC presents shows, strategy at upfront   
By Paul J. Gough and Nellie Andreeva   3 Apr 2008 11:34am EDT

"In front" is the new upfront. That was the message at NBC's upfront presentation Wednesday in New York, held six weeks before its competitors unveil their schedules in May.

The presentation began with a clip of Steve Carrell as The Office lead Michael Scott opining about advertising, a fitting intro to the event where NBC announced the series pickup of a long-rumored spinoff from the Emmy-winning NBC comedy. NBC's programming chief Ben Silverman said that the entire creative team of Office is behind the spinoff, but declined to give any details.

"The watermarked idea will not be shared today," he said.

Silverman fended off repeated requests to elaborate, but noted that the show's cast is so deep that there's more to be explored with the characters that aren't in a half hour or even an hour.

"You may see some of the actors on that show on the other show," he said.

The Office spinoff will premiere after the Super Bowl Feb. 1. It will then move into its regular Thursday 9:30 p.m. time slot, running behind the original Office.

As expected, NBC's returning series include veteran "ER," which will come back for a 15th and final season featuring original cast member Noah Wyle, as well as Office, which has been picked up for 28 episodes, including four one-hour episodes to air at beginning of season. Also coming back are "Law & Order: SVU," Deal or No Deal, "Law & Order," Lipstick Jungle, Medium, Friday Night Lights and Dateline.

They join previously renewed Heroes, Chuck, Life, Biggest Loser and Celebrity Apprentice.

"All of your favorites are coming back," Silverman said.

There will be no drama repeats in the 10 p.m. hour on Monday, Wednesday, Thursdays and Sunday where all series, including "ER," will air only originals. Several other dramas, including Heroes and Chuck, will also air with no repeats.

Kal

Fall TV Watch   

13 May 2008
Is Your Favorite Show Coming Back? The networks are announcing their fall schedules this week. Keep an eye on our list, updated daily, to see which shows made the cut.

Returning
NBC: Chuck, 30 Rock, The Apprentice, The Biggest Loser, Dateline NBC, Deal or No Deal, ER, Friday Night Lights, Heroes, Knight Rider, Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Life, Lipstick Jungle, My Name is Earl, Medium, The Office, Sunday Night Football

ABC: America's Funniest Home Videos, Boston Legal, Brothers & Sisters, Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, Dirty Sexy Money, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Private Practice, Pushing Daisies, Samantha Who?, Supernanny, Ugly Betty, Wife Swap, Eli Stone, Scrubs, TBD

CBS: The Amazing Race, The Big Bang Theory, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Ghost Whisperer, NCIS, NUMB3RS, Survivor, Two and a Half Men, Without a Trace, TBD

The CW: Reaper, America's Next Top Model, Everybody Hates Chris, The Game, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Smallville, Supernatural, TBD

Fox: 24, American Idol, American Dad, Family Guy, Kitchen Nightmares, King of the Hill, Prison Break, The Simpsons, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, 'Til Death, Bones, Hell's Kitchen, House, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? TBD

In Limbo
ABC: Cashmere Mafia, According to Jim, Miss Guided, Notes from the Underbelly, Oprah's Big Give, Primetime, Here Come the Newlyweds, Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann

CBS: Moonlight, Kid Nation, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Shark, The Unit, How I Met Your Mother, Power of 10, Rules of Engagement

The CW: Beauty and the Geek, Farmer Wants a Wife, Crowned: The Mother of All Pageants, Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious

Fox: Next Great American Band, Unhitched, Don't Forget the Lyrics

Canceled
NBC: 1 vs. 100, Amne$ia, Bionic Woman, Clash of the Choirs, Journeyman, Las Vegas, My Dad is Better Than Your Dad, Phenomenon, Quarterlife, The Singing Bee, Scrubs (moving to ABC)

ABC: Men in Trees, Big Shots, Carpoolers, Cavemen, October Road, Women's Murder Club, TBD

CBS: Jericho, Viva Laughlin, Welcome to the Captain, Secret Talents of the Stars, TBD

The CW: Aliens in America, CW Now, Life is Wild, Online Nation, TBD

Fox: Back to You, New Amsterdam, Nashville, Canterbury's Law, K-Ville, The Return of Jezebel James, TBD

New
NBC: America's Toughest Jobs, Chopping Block, Crusoe, Howie Do It, Kath & Kim, Kings, The Listener, Merlin, My Own Worst Enemy, The Philanthropist, Shark Taggers, Who Do You Think You Are? Momma's Boys, and The Untitled "Office" Spinoff

ABC: Life on Mars, TBD

CBS: Worst Week, Project Gary, The Mentalist, Eleventh Hour, Harper's Island, The Ex List(formerly known as Mythological X), TBD

The CW: The Untitled "Beverly Hills, 90210" Spinoff, Stylista, How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls

Fox: Dollhouse, Fringe, Cleveland, The Inn, Sit Down Shut Up, TBD

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: kal on May 13, 2008, 11:00:31 AM
Sit Down Shut Up

I have really high hopes for this show. It was originally created by Mitch Hurwitz and is being executive produced by Bill Oakley & Josh Weinstein, who in my opinion were the best writers/showrunners the simpsons ever had. Therefore this show will be the best thing on fox next year, then get cancelled the following season.

MacGuffin

If you take Boogie Nights and American Beauty, you get Swingtown. Always been a fan of Molly Parker, so that was the main reason I watched, and she is the best character of the show. It was an okay pilot, would have gotten rid of a couple of the kids' storylines. Don't know how it will sustain a season to season plot though.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 06, 2008, 01:04:15 AM
If you take Boogie Nights and American Beauty, you get Swingtown.

Holy CRAP...I'm onboard.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection