Best Cover

Started by kotte, November 03, 2003, 03:56:26 PM

deathnotronic

Ted Leo - Since U Been Gone (kelly clarkston i think?)
Ted Leo - Spirit of the Radio (rush)
Ted Leo - Six Months in a Leaky Boat (Split Enz)

If you're interested in hearing any of these I guess you can IM me or something or other or just reply.

Weird. Oh

alright here's some old time stuff first

Santana-"Black Magic Woman" ( Fleetwood Mac)
Ray Charles-Georgia On My Mind (Hoagy Charmichael)
CCR-I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Gladys Knight & Pips)
Aretha Franklin-Respect (Otis Redding)

In regards to more modern covers,  I can't believe I didn't see a mention of Nirvana's Unplugged album which is almost half cover songs.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Gamblour.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I don't want to wade through 9 pages. Ryan Adams covering Wonderwall is unbelievable.

Also Metallica's Garage Inc is amazing, especially covering Queen's Stone Cold Crazy.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Elliot Smith - Trouble
(Cat Stevens)

Guster - Flowers (Nothing But)
(Talking Heads)

Ben Folds - Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman
(The Darkness)

Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't Shit
(Dr. Dre)

Leftover Salmon - Gin & Juice
(Snoop Dogg)

Primus - In The Flesh?
(Pink Floyd)

Jane's Addiction - Sympathy for the Devil
(Rolling Stones)

Jane's Addiction - LA Woman
(The Doors)

Flaming Lips - Under Pressure
(Queen and David Bowie)

Aimee Mann - Two of Us
(The Beatles)

Tori Amos - 97 Bonnie and Clyde
(Eminem)

Aquabats - Don't Stop Believing
(Journey)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

Quote from: Walrus of the Past
Leftover Salmon - Gin & Juice
(Snoop Dogg)

Sorry, this belongs to the Gourds... they did the best cover and all the others are wannabes.

Bethie

I'm sure you've all seen the new Levi's commercials advertising their skinny straight leg jeans with someone covering Johnny Cash- Walk The Line.  I googled the shit out of the commercial trying to come up with the artists and came up with this:

"It is a modern version of the Johnny Cash song "Walk the line" the female version is sung by Megan Wyler, an American singer, she does not have any commercially released work as of today. The male version is Adem IIhan, who performs in the British band Fridge."

I like both.
who likes movies anyway

pete

my least favorite version of Walk the Line is by those three brothers, Los somethingrather.  that sucked.  my favorite version, don't think is the best version, is by dolly parton.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

tv on the radio - mr. grieves

JG

Deerhoof - Bungalow Bill

Derek

Thinking about putting together a cd of cover songs, even better if they're live cuts.

i was thinking about stuff like John Frusciante's Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Jolene by the White Stripes, Comfortably Numb by Van Morrison (I know this is still Pink Floyd too, but you get my point......)

Any suggestions?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

First, I'd suggest...

http://xixax.com/index.php?board=17.0

Then I'd suggest a cool cover of "What a Wonderful World" by Nick Cave and the Flaming Lips.  Also, the "Moon River" cover by Vincent Gallo, John Frusciante and PJ Harvey.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Derek

How in the hell did I miss that category???

But, THANKS!!! Still, don't want to kill this thread..........maybe an admin could move it??
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

RegularKarate

Derek

From Idle Chatter to Real Life Soundtracks. Doesn't bother me, but it would be more fitting.