Mates of State

Started by Jeremy Blackman, September 15, 2011, 09:47:52 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I'm starting this thread on the occasion of the release of their new album. But I don't think it's a happy occasion.

I really don't like the new album. The songwriting is weak, but worse than that, the production is horrible. It's as if a pile of uninteresting synths has been smeared over the whole record in the absence of songwriting. What happened to the achingly pristine piano & drums production of Re-Arrange Us? I even prefer the organ-based production of their pre-Re-Arrange albums. Also, the vocals are delivered in an oddly soulless way. What happened?

It's as if they got in a car accident, suffered traumatic brain injuries, and then made this album.

I could be wrong. I hope I am. "Total Serendipity," even with its cringe-worthy production, is a good song (very much like the chorus). "Unless I'm Led" is interesting. "Desire" is pretty good. Can't stand anything else, though.

Has anyone else heard it?

Such a far cry from Re-Arrange Us, which is one of my favorite albums.

So many great songs on this album.

Lullaby Haze - One of the most amazing songs I've ever heard. A flat-out masterpiece.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 29, 2009, 09:27:35 PM
I just discovered that this song has the highest play count on my iPod:

Mates of State - "Lullaby Haze"

There's a good reason. I can remember I was playing it repeatedly the week I discovered that album. Not only is it a musical masterpiece, it's addictive. Some moments in the song give me chills, like 1:43, with the rolling drums and piano, and the "oo-hoo" vocals, all very beautiful, evocative, and somehow perfect.

Note: Though it seems like a quiet song, it should be played loud.

Basically every song on the album is great (except Jigsaw). Some of them are perhaps an acquired taste, but what a taste it is.

If I had to pick my second favorites, they would be The Re-Arranger and Get Better.