TTS vs EdTV (official thread (separate thread of TOTTST(the official TTS thread)

Started by Pas, November 08, 2007, 05:28:24 PM

Pas

Awhile back, like a year ago, I told yall how I think Christof is ruining The Truman Show. Well now I fucking wonder if the knock-off is getting better than the original. I mean come on, we all know that EdTV was originally aimed at a 'lower audience' than TTS but nowadays Christof is totally going overboard with the sleazy sex scandals and whatnot. EdTV has managed to stay truer to it's roots and the 'Ed the cool guy' character isn't getting old as quickly as 'Truman the clueless bastard'.

I am NOT buying into the new 'clone-ark' that Christof has introduced and the whole thing about Truman fighting a fake-cancer was just morally bankrupt. I mean, wtf, I was switching channels and saw Ed winning a hot dog eating contest at the same time we were seeing Truman get a useless colo-rectal surgery. He'll be pissed if he finally gets the concept, which I doubt more and more seeing how naive he is.

Christof fucking killed TTS because of his big head and refusal to take on silly subjects. His priority to heavy stuff like Truman's father coming back as a HIV positive trans-gender is just too much. I mean, we watch TV to lighten up after all god damnit.

Weird. Oh

The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

hedwig

yeah what the fuck pas? edtv is still mediocre. sure we watch tv to lighten up but christof's obsession with the heavy stuff allowed for TTS to become a much more meaningful and important program. i don't know, i'm a diehard truman-er for life. edtv has always struck me as merely a shallow imitation. TTS might get a bit bizarre sometimes with the trans-gender and fake-cancer storylines but it never becomes too trashy because it's rooted in such honest emotional responses. it's like nothing that's ever been on television, and even in its WORST moments, it has always been far superior to edtv. i just think you're looking in the wrong places for the sort of shallow entertainment you seem to crave.

Stefen

I like Christof's hat. I think it gives him the appearance of intelligence.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i'm kinda with hedwig on this.

even though TTS has jumped the shark more times than Truman's girlfriends have jumped off Hangman's Cliff (how can he not see the airbags under the water???), to prefer ETV over it is just ridiculous. maybe i'm cutting TTS too much slack here, but the dull moments still seem few and far between. i still care about his humdrum life, his overblown tragedies are offset by the small victories he takes pleasure in every day and i find them inspirational. did you see the joy in his face when he taught his dog that new trick? you know, where he pretends to shoot and the dogs falls to the ground? those kind of bright moments make all the hardships he's been put through that much more touching. no matter how orchestrated his surroundings are, he's always offered better material than Christof could ever come up with.

that's the biggest problem with it, in the end. the limitations and megalomaniacal tendencies of Christof. but there is a bright side, considering the exhausting hours the Big C has been working for decades, i would not be surprised if he croaks soon and lets a fresh writing team liven up the show. ETV on the other hand could use some structure., you mentioned the hotdog eating contest haha, how many times have they done that now? Ed is a slob who gets everything he wants and hams it up for the camera. there's no class, no wit, no truth.

ETV is the FG to TTS's TS(4-8).
under the paving stones.

Pas

OMG OMG tune in NOW Truman is gonna get pranked so bad by guest star Wayne Knight aka NEWMAN of Seinfeld ! ... Truman vs Newman ! Christof still has juice in him I gotta admit...

EDIT : Letdown for now but I can see this going somewhere... not the best guest star effort but pretty cool nonetheless

72teeth

Eh, im just glad it's past... The "Truman vs. Newman" ads were getting annoying. I kept waiting for the "Bluemen" to pop up too... even though it's treading on AD's toes, CHRISTof is obviously down with toe treading seeing as he's been ripping off Get A Life and now Seinfeld....

did anyone else catch the Barton Fink reference around 1:20am this morning?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

wayne knight's lost too much weight so the gag was stupid to begin with.

the real good stuff happens when no one is sposed to be watching, like 72teef just said with the fink in the middle of the nite. you can see why they would advertise the guest stars for prime time tho. i guess the gimmick worked, it got pas to turn off ETV.. for a minute at least.

i'm still trying to catch up with the teenage seasons on dvd. i've heard 15-17 were some of the funniest.
under the paving stones.

Pas

'Truman' Scoop: Ricky Gervais set to guest star
The star of the cult TV show ''The Office'', most recently seen in ''Extras'', is ''the guy for the job'' , says Christof
Source: Entertainment Weekly

Business has been slowing down at the insurance company for a couple seasons, prompting the departure of Marissa recently. The rumor mill is now bringing huge british star Ricky Gervais to Seahaven for one day, to star as a hired motivator for the company staff. Christof has been trying to bring him on for years, according to rumor, after falling in love with the David Brent character of the Office.

Stefen

This is one good thing about the writers strike and reality tv winning over. At least people will get to see TSS and ETV now since it'll be the ONLY good thing on TV since all other reality sucks.

I bet the longer this strike goes on, the better the guests will get for these shows.

On the bright side at least.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Controversy around product placement in The Truman Show

Acme's Chef Pal responsible for several digital amputations
Source : ET

A father of three from Kansas City is suing Acme Co., the multinational empire who revolutionized the random tools sector, for 97 million dollars after he loss two fingers using the Acme's Chef Pal, a combined grater, slicer and peeler.

Long time sponsor of Truman, Acme is a company that never ceases to do the headlines as accidents and injuries occur on and on. The most recent debacle, the Acme Rocket for Dogs, cost the company millions in lawsuit after multiple dog were burned and left ridiculed.

Christof refuses to comment the incident but close sources tell us a press conference is on it's way.

UPDATE

Christof stops sponsorship agreement with Acme

After multiple embarassing incidents, Chrisof says no more. Here seen with Acme's founder and CEO, Charles Irwin IV in a recent press conference
Source : Forbes Online

The multi-billion agreement that changed the advertisement industry for ever has now been terminated according to a press release issued by Omnicomm Ecosphere Inc, maker of The Truman Show and it's dome. In an effort to dissociate itself from the socially irresponsible giant that is Acme, Christof is offering one-time jobs as extras on The Truman Show to all the people who have been dissatisfied with various products advertised on the program. Many analyst called this bold move by the genius behind TTS ''genius'' and ''totally awesome''. More to come on this ..

Stefen