Big Love

Started by Kal, June 02, 2007, 09:02:24 PM

Kal

Anybody seen this on HBO?

A lot of people told me it was great, and now that I finally have HBO ON DEMAND I watched the first episode. I'm not sure if its good or not cause its very weird. I may watch some more episodes now that there is NOTHING else to watch on TV and I'm having a lot of free time... I hate how addicted I am to TV... now with the end of the seasons and almost no NBA, I'm lost!

john

I think this show has a lot of potential.

It's not great yet, but it certainly isn't bad.

Worth watching for Harry Dean Stanton alone. Every scene he's in, every line he delivers. There are a lot worse ways to spend thirteen hours in the world of television.

Chloe Sevigny, as well, excellent.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Fernando

Quote from: kal on June 02, 2007, 09:02:24 PM
Anybody seen this on HBO?

ahem...

Quote from: Fernando on June 05, 2006, 01:54:14 PM
OT comments but i wont start a topic about it...

So, did any of you watch BIG LOVE?

I saw every episode and I think the series has great potential, while it began a little slow I think almost all episodes were worth watching, I hope they greenlight a second season, it's a good replacement of 6FU and with many familiar faces and great acting.

And obviously this did end with a cliffhanger, I think some ppl here would really like this one so steal it if bored.

Quote from: kal on June 02, 2007, 09:02:24 PM
A lot of people told me it was great, and now that I finally have HBO ON DEMAND I watched the first episode. I'm not sure if its good or not cause its very weird. I may watch some more episodes now that there is NOTHING else to watch on TV and I'm having a lot of free time... I hate how addicted I am to TV... now with the end of the seasons and almost no NBA, I'm lost!

As I said, it began slow but the series got better and better, so it is worth watching, top notch acting not only by HDS and Chloe but anybody in it and as John said it has a lot of potential to become a really great series.

Kal

Cool... I've been watching some eps... so far I like it.

Its good cause the new season starts now so I dont have to worry about any cliffhangers :)

(I still dream about the LOST finale and I hate them)

Kal

So now I'm kinda hooked on this... there is nothing else to watch except for Entourage...

I watched all the episodes out so far and its really good... Paxton is great in it, and most of the acting is superb. Also, you start realizing the potential and the different plotlines the show has and it makes it much more exciting. Definitely the only good show HBO has now besides Entourage (and Curb when it comes back).

MacGuffin

HBO stays in 'Love'
Cable network renews show for third season
Source: Variety

HBO has ordered another season of 'Big Love,' with Bill Paxton.

In HBO's first major programming move since it changed regimes, the pay net has renewed "Big Love" for a third season.
Net has picked up 12 episodes of the show, in which Bill Paxton and Chloe Sevigny star as members of a polygamous family in Utah. Writing is set to begin next month; lensing is skedded for November.

The renewal, which comes earlier than expected, will ensure the season is completed and ready to air by the time a possible labor stoppage shuts down production in June.

"Love" has seen a dropoff in viewers since it launched in the Sunday night timeslot following "The Sopranos," when it averaged 4 million viewers in its initial airing. The Monday move has brought initial broadcast numbers of around two million.

But HBO says the network values its original series based on total viewers from six weekly airings, as well as estimates from DVRs and video on demand that indicate the show has a strong following, and a potential weekly viewership around 6 million. "Big Love" also has become the network's second-highest-rated recent original series among women, behind "The Sopranos."

The net had originally scheduled "Big Love" for an 8 p.m. Sunday slot leading in to "John From Cincinnati," but switched the series to Monday night before the season started.

However, HBO will bring the show back to Sunday nights, at least temporarily, when "John From Cincinnati" completes its first season.

HBO has been seeking a drama hit since "The Sopranos" went off the air last month. Surfer-drama "John From Cincinnati" launched to a large-scale marketing campaign last month. Net will unveil "Tell Me You Love Me," an hourlong relationship drama, in the fall, and unspool the half-hour drama "In Treatment" in early 2008.

Timing -- and Tony Soprano's long shadow -- have kept "Big Love" from being shown a lot of love by the media, said exec producer Will Scheffer.

"We were hyper-concerned about moving to Monday night," said Scheffer, who exec produces with Mark V. Olsen, David Knoller and Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman. "We got lost in the expectations of 'The Sopranos.' The renewal was a pleasant surprise, though, because we didn't figure to learn our fate until the end of the summer."

New CEO Bill Nelson, along with programming topper Richard Plepler and West Coast chief Michael Lombardo, have kept a somewhat low profile at the net until two weeks ago, when Plepler and Lombardo made their press debut at TCA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Good news. And also if they are consistent with the timelines the show will get more audience. I personally didnt start watching until recently and thanks to HBO on demand. If they dont fuck up with the air dates and renewals and schedule like they did with other shows, then its for sure that the audience will grow. The show is excellent.

Fernando

SPOILERS

Quote from: john on June 03, 2007, 12:13:50 AM
Worth watching for Harry Dean Stanton alone. Every scene he's in, every line he delivers. There are a lot worse ways to spend thirteen hours in the world of television.

Great episode last night, as I was watching I remembered this post about him and thought you couldn't be more right, every line HDS says is delivered so perfect, and then at the end of the ep. he's shot, fuck, I hope he manages to survive, he's one hell of a character.

Fernando

Is anyone watching this?

S3 premier was this sunday and it was pretty good, even though it has a lot of story lines it doesn't feel muddled, Chloe is as usual great and so was that speech she gave at the end.