The utter horror of Armageddon

Started by Ernie, March 18, 2003, 04:23:22 PM

Ernie

I just watched this movie today in film study for the first time and wow...I don't even know what to say.  :shock:

I had heard about how bad it was and all in the past, but I just figured people hated it because it was a "popcorn flick" or whatever...which I think are fun to watch every once in awhile but no...this was far from some harmless fun. I was actually looking forward to seeing it before today...big mistake. I see why it gets bashed so much now, I am still in awe of how bad it was. It was so fucking horrible, I just want to pretend it never happened. The kids in my class love it like you can't imagine too...you should have heard them with their constant praising...it's fucking weird.

I think what really pissed me off the most was the wasted talent of some great actors like Steve Buscemi and Owen Wilson. I usually like Ben Affleck too but jesus...he was so bad it was painful to watch! The whole movie was painful as hell to watch actually...it alternated between incredibly boring and incredibly annoying. I know I'm starting to sound like one of those AICN talkback kids but I just really had to let the anger out...this is one of the worst movies ever made. I guess I should have expected it to be worse considering Michael Bay made it, The Rock and Pearl Harbor are pretty fucking bad too. I can't believe this movie got a criterion...yipes!

Anyway, post your thoughts if you want...if you think I'm an anti-mainstream prick, I'm really not at all. Don't even try to jump to those conclusions.

russiasusha

I totally agree.

I didn't like a thing about it.

Michael Bay needs to be stopped.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Xixax

Quote from: russiasushaMichael Bay needs to be stopped.
Preach the truth! Preach it! Woo!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Why did you watch that in film study? Were they trying to teach you about bad movies? Somebody needs to be fired

Victor

i would reccomend dropping that class if thats the kind of shit theyre shoveling at you. i mean. armageddon. in a film study class. jeezus.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Rudie Obias

you know ARMAGEDDON is part of the criterion collection along with THE ROCK.  i really like micheal bay films.  they're so over the top and action packed.  i also liked BAD BOYS and can't wait to see BAD BOYS 2.  stop being arsty fartsy and enjoy a good action flick!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Xixax

I love good action flicks.

key word: good
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rudieobyou know ARMAGEDDON is part of the criterion collection along with THE ROCK.  i really like micheal bay films.  they're so over the top and action packed.  i also liked BAD BOYS and can't wait to see BAD BOYS 2.  stop being arsty fartsy and enjoy a good action flick!

I genuinely thought Armageddon was not only a bad movie, but also a boring and unentertaining movie. I love a good action movie, but it has to be good. When it comes to meteors crashing into the earth movies, I will go with that other one.

Xixax

For me, The Matrix owns the action-movie genre.
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: XixaxFor me, The Matrix owns the action-movie genre.

Dammit! I keep forgetting to see that fucking movie! I swear to god, I'm renting it this weekend...I've never put off renting a movie so many times in my life. Seriously, I must have planned to rent it about 100 times since it came out...I'm the only one in film study that hasn't seen it...literally. Not for the lack of interest either, just for the lack of a good memory.

I love a good action movie too...I forgot to clarify that before. I'm really not "artsy" as rudie said, I couldn't take liking one genre. I love it all.

Xixax

You haven't seen it yet? Whoa.

Make room for 2 or 3 viewings.
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceWhy did you watch that in film study? Were they trying to teach you about bad movies? Somebody needs to be fired

I know right, I was thinking the same thing on the way home.

See, the teacher (who is really nice, for the record) has the most mainstream taste in film possible. She also has to follow a list of "appropriate" films that the school will allow our virgin eyes to see. We had to fast forward through a scene involving animal crackers today.  :?:

Those are the two constraints that are going to keep us from watching too many truly great films this semester. The only great ones we've watched so far were Jaws and Rear Window.

It's still a great class though...the seniors and juniors are fucking hilarious.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxFor me, The Matrix owns the action-movie genre.

Although it had a lot of originality, and the last scene was incredible, I think I'll go with John Woo's The Killer or Total Recall.

Duck Sauce

So basically the class has decided not to hurt your feelings. I hate that, like when I am talking to somebody who is really nice but obviously doesnt know shit about what they are talking about, you just have to humor them. Ask her if you can bring in your own movies

aurora

In Year 11 I studied 'American History X' - that was pretty cool

In Year 12 I studied 'Cabaret' - That wasn't cool. Not a fan at all.