Best Cover

Started by kotte, November 03, 2003, 03:56:26 PM

godardian

I remember Patti Smith doing a live cover of The Ronettes' "Be My Baby" that was pretty fucking great.

Sleater-Kinney covering Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" live was a revelation, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

meatwad

Jeff Buckley "Mama You Been On My Mind"

phil marlowe

anyone heard sonic youths cover of madonnas get into the groove? it's the ultimate cover ever.

anyway, bucleys halleluja is good, sex pistols my way is funny but weird al yankovich's polka your eyes out takes the cake.

rustinglass

sweet jane-cowboy junkies
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

TheVoiceOfNick

It's gotta be the Smashing Pumpkins cover of Never Let Me Down Again... my two favorite bands, now interlocked forever!

NEON MERCURY

limp bizcutss---- faith...

but seriously...

TooL's no quater is better than Led Zeppelins's

RegularKarate

Revolting Cocks' version of "If Ya Think I'm Sexy" is brilliant

Gypsi King's Hotel California

Coil's Tainted Love

White Stripes' Jolene... on that note Sisters of Mercy's cover of Jolene and Give Me Shelter

RegularKarate

Nine Inch Nails' covers of Suck and Physical

Oh yeah... Tricky's Black Steel ... most of Tricky's covers are pretty good.

Sleuth

Quote from: NEON MERCURYTooL's no quater is better than Led Zeppelins's

I like LZ's a lot better.  I seem to be the only person who doesn't think Plant sounds annoying in it.
I like to hug dogs

Raikus

Ben Folds cover of Tiny Dancer.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateNine Inch Nails' covers of Suck and Physical

You didn't like NIN's cover of Joy Divison's "Dead Souls"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Quote from: MacGuffin

You didn't like NIN's cover of Joy Divison's "Dead Souls"?

I do and let me tell you what I believe. I believe that Morpheus means more to me than he does to you. I believe if you are really serious about rescuing him, you are going to need my help. And since I am the ranking officer on this ship, if you don't like it... I believe you can go to hell. Because you're not going anywhere else. Tank, load us up.
I like to hug dogs

blackmamba

Totally have to agree with Jeremy Blackman.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateWhite Stripes' Jolene...

yeah, live especially.

elliott smith covering anything by a beatle.  ie: long, long, long, because, jealous guy, i me mine, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffinYou didn't like NIN's cover of Joy Divison's "Dead Souls"?

I like that one... but I like the original a lot better.

Just to clarify, I meant I liked NIN's cover of the song "Suck"... I didn't mean his covers suck.