Lady Bird

Started by wilder, September 05, 2017, 07:26:39 PM

wilder

The adventures of a young woman living in Northern California for a year.

Written and Directed by Greta Gerwig
Starring Saoirse Ronan, , Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Timothée Chalamet, Beanie Feldstein, Stephen McKinley Henderson, and Lois Smith
Release Date - November 3, 2017

Sleepless

What an enticing logline.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Brooklyn was pitched in a similarly boring way and it turned out to be great, so maybe unmarketability is just Saoirse Ronan's thing now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Yes

Is anyone else seeing this at NYFF

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Yes

Quote from: modage on September 28, 2017, 07:21:50 AM
Quote from: BigSock on September 27, 2017, 07:00:25 PM
Is anyone else seeing this at NYFF
Yep.

Which day will you be going to  :shock: I'm doing the Sunday the 8th show

Yes

I need to see again to fully grasp my affection for it, but this is very sweet and tender

Not sure it's Frances or Mistress level, but this operates on a mostly different, and more broadly accessible level

I'm astonished by how in command Greta is behind the camera and she maintains a feverish comic energy until you begin to recognize a level of melancholy sadness beneath the surface that chokes you up and brings you to tears in the final act

I'm still ambivalent about the closing sections as it runs out of steam a bit, but Metcalf is the heartbreaking emotional anchor of it all, and this is evidence that Ronan is currently one of the best actresses in the game-- she effortlessly melts into a character so divorced from how she is in reality with the most infectious charisma

Something Spanish

LB was good, I just can't side with the heaping amount of praise people are shoveling on it. Saorise is excellent, sweet yet fierce, and as written by Gerwig Lady Bird is one of the better teenage heroines of film history, but the film is choppy, especially the first half. Both times I've seen it I had the same reaction, not really caring much until approximately midway through. The scenes are not given enough room to breath, whisking by before we're gives a chance at vesting an interest. Overall I liked it, especially the relationship between Lady Bird and her mother. The end rung many emotional truths of transitioning into adulthood. Gerwig has a strong voice, and I look forward to her next feature, but this didn't blow me away nearly as much as many of the reviews I've read.

wilberfan

Quote from: Something Spanish on December 06, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
LB was good, I just can't side with the heaping amount of praise people are shoveling on it.

I agree with you.  It was a solid first effort, and thought the performances by the two leads were excellent, but I certainly wasn't blown-away by the film. 

Drenk

The praise over it as if it were the best American movie of the decade is strange, but people seem to know that their love for this movie is out of control.

It's a good movie. It's solid. Watching the trailer, I thought that I had already seen that movie before and even if there is a formula at work here Gerwig managed to twist it a little. She definitely has a voice, too. I welcome the warmness of her tone for the future.
Ascension.

©brad

This one sneaks up on you. There's not much in this movie we haven't seen before, and yet it all feels new somehow. It's insanely relatable to a seemingly broad cross-section of people (at least from reviews and various anecdotes I've gathered). I'm not sure if it's one of the best movies of the year but I gobbled it right up.

Oh and Laurie Metcalf slays. She needs to be in more stuff.