CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

mogwai

crash didn't much for me, the story and the concept falls flat. i liked all the scenes with the mexican and his daughter, that could've been a movie of its own.

it's like if michael bay wanted to do a serious movie and this would've been it. and that he specifically wrote his own real life character into the cop played by matt dillon.

Sigur Rós

I didn't like this film at all. Mainly because it doesn't bring anything new to both the genre and the subject and because I think it looks a little to black and white on things. Maybe I just have more faith in mankind then to think that we are still in a stage where only judge people by their color. No doubt that people like the ones in the movie exists but I don't want to see a movie about them. I believe in order to make a good movie it has to be based on a original story and original characters. I found neither in this film..... So let me have my Short Cuts and  my Magnolia and throw in a little gay cowboys and I'm happy. Crash my ass!

Ravi

Quote from: sigurrós on March 15, 2006, 05:53:13 PM
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah little gay cowboys blah blah blah Crash my ass

elpablo

For a film that's trying to expose the subtle prejudices in our society, it's awfully obvious. However, I did enjoy the scenes with Matt Dillion saving the girl in the car and Don Cheadle letting his mom think it was his brother that brought the groceries. But now that I think about it, I liked those scenes because they were the exact opposite of the rest of the movie: they were silent (for the most part) -  they were more subtle.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Ravi on March 15, 2006, 11:37:57 PM
Quote from: sigurrós on March 15, 2006, 05:53:13 PM
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah little gay cowboys blah blah blah Crash my ass
I'll kick your ass pretty boy!  :yabbse-angry:

Reinhold

i finally saw this at a $3 theater last night.

i don't think the bulk of this will be news.

i think the dialogue was terrible, and i think that the action was hyperbolized and packaged to the point of removing any legitimacy with which it was trying to carry a message. it left absolutely nothing to the viewer, and was executed with an enraging degree of predictability.

it was a disgustingly safe bet for best picture. this just in: the academy is gutless.

all that being said, i don't think it was necessarily the worst movie ever. i'm willing to bet that the people involved made the movie they wanted to make, and it's just something that, as a matter of style, i don't like. definitely not one of my picks for favorite, but i don't think it's as awful and easy to hate as everybody says it is when you just look at it as an intentionally preachy melodrama.  sure, it views like a church service, but isn't that what it tries to be from beginning to end?

it's a just a movie that beats the age old "don't be a shithead" message to death. it could only ever be mediocre-- so don't hate it for being kinda sucky.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Sigur Rós

The thing I really hate about moves like Crash, Good night, and good luck, Syriana etc
is that the only reason why they are made is because Hollywood feels bad for all the money they make. But in reality they don't give a fuck about these movies because they still make their money on big apes, little wizards and spaceships. This new so called "political Hollywood" is like Bono trying to be Jesus...wtf! blablabla

killafilm

Quote from: sigurrós on March 17, 2006, 02:02:43 AM
The thing I really hate about moves like Crash, Good night, and good luck, Syriana etc
is that the only reason why they are made is because Hollywood feels bad for all the money they make. But in reality they don't give a fuck about these movies because they still make their money on big apes, little wizards and spaceships. This new so called "political Hollywood" is like Bono trying to be Jesus...wtf! blablabla

Cloony of 1997 was so much better.  Cloony was still being awesome in ER and Batman & Robin.  Making movies about something you care about  :laughing: 

Sigur Rós

Quote from: killafilm on March 17, 2006, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: sigurrós on March 17, 2006, 02:02:43 AM

Cloony of 1997 was so much better.  Cloony was still being awesome in ER and Batman & Robin.  Making movies about something you care about  :laughing: 

excactly!

I Love a Magician

so is this thread about dave matthews band or what.

grand theft sparrow

I promised myself I wouldn't post in this thread again.

http://www.timeout.com/film/news/1058.html

'Crash' set for TV treatment
Chris Tilly | Apr  6 2006

Oscar-winner 'Crash' is set to hit the small screen next year in the shape of a high-profile mini-series, which is great news if you're a fan of the film, and not so good if, like me, you think it was a heavy-handed, clumsy and condescending two hours of Hollywood bullshit.

It won the Best Picture Academy Award in May however, and producer Cathy Shulman says that several of the 'Crash' stars are set to appear in the series.

'The actors from the film will show up' she told IMDB. 'Don Cheadle is a producer and will also be on at least a few episodes. We'll see about everyone else'.

I'll bring you more news on this one as and when it breaks, although as you've probably guessed, this is one show I won't be tuning in to!

modage

actually, the idea is much better suited to a series.  it could even be good.  :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Hopefully this TV series will have some good writers who will use the TV format to develop character and story arcs better than the film did.  If its just hour after hour of, well, Crash, then its going to suck.

MacGuffin

Starz Developing Crash Series
Source: Starz Entertainment

"Crash," a new original drama series based on the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture will debut exclusively on Starz in 2008. The 13-episode, one-hour series, co-produced with Lionsgate, will be Starz's first ever original drama. The announcement was made today by Stephan Shelanski, executive vice president, programming of Starz Entertainment.

Key members of the Oscar-winning theatrical production team are onboard for the series, including the film's director, co-writer and producer Paul Haggis, co-writer and producer Bobby Moresco, producer Bob Yari, producer Don Cheadle, producer Mark R. Harris and executive producer Tom Nunan.

Crash, which was distributed by Lionsgate, marks only the second time a Best Picture Oscar®-winner has been turned into a series. In the Heat of the Night was the first. Production on the drama is scheduled to begin in the spring.

"'Crash' introduced a whole range of fascinating characters and engrossing, intertwined stories that are ideally suited for developing into a TV series," commented Shelanski. "Starz is the premium channel for movies so it's appropriate that this Best Picture-winner is providing the basis for our first dramatic series. The fact that key members of the film's production team are involved will ensure that our series maintains the high level of talent and creativity captured in the film."

"An important part of our strategy is to create franchises across our company's divisions," said Kevin Beggs, Lionsgate's President of Programming and Production, "and early in our involvement with this extraordinary film, we recognized its enormous potential to be successfully adapted for television. In Starz, we have found partners who share our vision and we anticipate a great collaboration."

"I'm very happy that Lionsgate and Starz have decided to develop 'Crash' into a series," said Haggis. "Ironically, my initial impulse was to present the material in a format for television. I am thrilled it's coming full circle and can't wait to see how it expands and transforms."

"For me, exploring the characters and conflicts in 'Crash' was a great experience," said Moresco. "The idea of doing it again in a weekly series is tremendously exciting."

"This series will present an opportunity to delve into many subjects, not just race relations in LA," said Cheadle. "I don't think you can do 13 episodes on that subject and keep people interested. The challenge will be to craft the series characters in such a way as to get beneath the skin that supposedly differentiates them and create entertaining story lines that show the hurdles and obstacles we all struggle to overcome day to day."

Challenging and daring, Crash took a provocative, unflinching look at the complexities of racial tolerance in contemporary America. The film featured an all-star cast including Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Thandie Newton and Ryan Philippe. It was directed by Haggis and co-written by Haggis and Moresco.

In addition to Best Picture, it also scored Oscars® for Haggis and Moresco's original screenplay, as well as Hughes Winborne's editing. Crash also earned a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture, a Producers Guild nomination for Best Picture, a Directors Guild feature film nomination for Haggis, a Writers Guild nomination for Best Original Screenplay (Haggis and Moresco), nine BAFTA nominations (including Best Film and Best Director) and six NAACP Image Award nominations (including Best Film).

Starz Media's Anchor Bay Entertainment will hold exclusive U.S. distribution rights, including home entertainment, to the "Crash" series, while Lionsgate will retain international distribution.

The announcement of Crash comes on the heels of the launch of Starz' first two original half-hour comedy series, "Head Case" and "Hollywood Residential," which premiered last week. "Head Case," stars Alexandra Wentworth and the new comedy series "Hollywood Residential," stars Adam Paul and is executive produced by Cheryl Hines. Starz also features "Starz Inside," a new monthly series of original specials examining people, trends and culture in movie entertainment hosted by film critic Richard Roeper.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I've never been happier to have basic cable.
My house, my rules, my coffee