John Goodman

Started by godardian, November 08, 2003, 02:04:47 PM

godardian

Forgetting King Ralph (please!), I think John Goodman is a fine, fine actor.

A great comic talent, of course (in Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski, on Roseanne), but I think he is also quite capable of serious dramatics (there is some good dramatic stuff from him on Roseanne, as well, in addition to his recent guest spot on The West Wing and being the only interesting thing in The Babe), and of course his unclassifiable turn in Barton Fink.

I never caught that Normal, Ohio, but I would've been more than willing to give it a shot just for him.

He's the first actor who comes to my mind when I think of writing a role especially "for" an actor.

Anyone else a fan?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Oh, I love the man.  He's brilliant in everything he does.  Monsters, Inc., Storytelling, The Big Lebowski, and he even added some good moments to the otherwise-dull O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Kal

I really liked him playing Babe Ruth, and he is excellent in The Big Lebowski

ElPandaRoyal

He's great great great and Walter in The Big Lebowski is one of my favourite performances by an actor ever. He's just perfect in that film.

Quote from: Onomatopoeiahe even added some good moments to the otherwise-dull O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Very agreeable. Although I don't think the movie's that bad. It just reminds us that the Coen brothers can do better.
Si

kotte

Quote from: godardianForgetting King Ralph (please!), I think John Goodman is a fine, fine actor.

A great comic talent, of course (in Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski, on Roseanne), but I think he is also quite capable of serious dramatics (there is some good dramatic stuff from him on Roseanne, as well, in addition to his recent guest spot on The West Wing and being the only interesting thing in The Babe), and of course his unclassifiable turn in Barton Fink.

I never caught that Normal, Ohio, but I would've been more than willing to give it a shot just for him.

He's the first actor who comes to my mind when I think of writing a role especially "for" an actor.

Anyone else a fan?

love him. love him. love him.

No one plays 'the big guy' better than him'.

Can you tell me what episode of West Wing he was in? Episode no.?

ono

As for The West Wing, he was on the finale last season, and a couple episodes the beginning of this one.  Not sure which ones specifically.  I only caught a few.  Check out http://www.tvtome.com/ for more info, I imagine.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumHe's great great great and Walter in The Big Lebowski is one of my favourite performances by an actor ever. He's just perfect in that film.

I actually thought he was a little too obvious and over the top to begin with... but I either got used to it, or he got better.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumHe's great great great and Walter in The Big Lebowski is one of my favourite performances by an actor ever. He's just perfect in that film.

I actually thought he was a little too obvious and over the top to begin with... but I either got used to it, or he got better.

I don't want to be a dick, but the problem was in you the whole time  :wink:
Si

Vile5

Quote from: godardian...and of course his unclassifiable turn in Barton Fink...
particularly in Barton Fink!!!!! i've watched this movie today (yeah again) and he's terrific!!!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

ElPandaRoyal

I need to re-watch Barton Fink urgently...
Si

coffeebeetle

RIGHT ON!  Never have I seen an actor completely meld with the role given to him as Goodman did with Sobchek...
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

©brad

everyone loves john goodman. what's not to luv? he's like that cool uncle everyone has to used to sneak u beers during family get togethers when u were little.

Gloria

I think him and Rick Moranis were great in the Flinstones.  The movie may have been less than perfect, but the casting was right on.

cine

He's always very funny on SNL. His Linda Tripp was entertaining.
I think he should rename himself to John Greatman. Anyone?
Just me?  
Alright.

Find Your Magali

On a serious note, I hope he loses some weight and gets himself a bit healthier. ... We lose too many of our plus-sized actors far, far too early, and it would be devastating to lose John Goodman. That's all.