Panning and motion blur with ND filters

Started by SoNowThen, July 21, 2003, 12:14:24 PM

SoNowThen

I did some camera tests for my short... (XL1S)

I wanted to do this DePalma style 360 degree pan, but I'm shooting outside, and so to get the extra contrast from the sky, I slapped an ND on there. The pan got blurry as hell. MY buddy told me that ND's tend to do that. So what the hell? I gotta stop up and not use an ND, but then am I gonna get the detail in the sky like I need? Because shitty washed out sky looks extra shitty on video. And I don't want another short of mine to look shitty...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ReelHotGames

What is the focus of the shot? What goes on? Because there are a few answers but they depend on what the focus is, are there actors int he shot? Etc...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

SoNowThen

In the specific shot I was trying... well, there will be two actors. But I didn't just notice this for that shot. I did tests all through this forest area. Some were on F 4.8 with a 1/6 ND, then I did one F 10 no ND. The F 10 shot looked fine, but the same shot with the ND filter, when I panned over to the bushes, was quite blurry during the pan. Not that it matters too much in terms of quick action stuff, but when I'm doing a slow pan for other shots, I don't want people to get sick.

mutinyco

You could try just shooting it clean, then altering the image to your like in post.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

I just don't have time/money/know how to do much altering in post, and I will be the one who pretty much posts everything.

What I'm most concerned with is capturing nice skies, but still having my performers exposed right AND being able to move my frame without intense motion sickness interrupting.

I'll probably just go with a high F stop and a warming filter or something to add some more pleasant color. Video is the bane of my existence. Too bad it's so much cheaper than film.

ReelHotGames

A tricky way to do it, by dropping the ND filter and to get the higher contrast in the sky is to offset your white balance, it's not ideal but can work for video, as long as your not lingering on things.

Are you using a built in ND filter on the camera or is it a lens? Truly the most ideal solution is to fix for color in post. Premiere does a nice job as does after effects, and I'm sure final cut has some good color correction options.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

SoNowThen

Can you color correct only a portion of the frame?

Oh, also, I know you guys always say Try To shoot with longer lenses to give less depth of field on video, but I really like to have a high F Stop and hold massive depth. It just seems to me that video isn't that sharp anyway, so I like the added depth and sharpness of F5.6 + on my iris.

But is that conversely making my images look more "video-ey"?

mutinyco

Are you shooting 16:9? Cropping the image can help a lot. One other thing to consider is just using your eye. Right? Look through the viewfinder and base things on how they look. Generally, video has greater depth of field. Use your eye.

What editing program are you using? Avid has great correction abilities. Final Cut 3 & 4 are good. You could always put the camera on auto and let it adjust the image itself...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Hey, muty, do you have a method for eyeballing to shoot with a frame of 2.35:1? Because Ghostboy and I talked about this before, he uses the shutter speed in the top of the menu in the viewfinder, and the sound bitrate on the bottom of the menu. But my viewfinder makes the bitrate disappear after a second. So how can I frame cinemascope with my canon xl1s??

mutinyco

Well, you're going to have to crop your image. You'll also need some type of monitor hooked up to your camera. You can rent small screens that attach to the top of the camera. Or if you're doing interiors your TV will work. Digital anamorphic could give you stretch marks or artifacts. Assuming you'll be keeping it on video for viewing, crop the screen you're viewing the shooting with. Use black electrical tape or gaffer's tape. Crop a 2.35 ratio on the monitor and compose your shots for that. Once you're editing you can build a mask. Avid comes with a predesigned 2.35 matt that you can apply. But for FC or any other program you can build crops. That's probably the best thing I can advise. Once you have your top and bottom blocked off in post you can even reposition your shot beneath it to make sure it's framed the way you want. Resize it if you want.

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

but what about for the op? He's gotta eyeball it??

mutinyco

That's what the small attachment monitor is for. You see them on film sets all the time. They attach to the top of the camera. The operator looks at that instead of through the viewfinder. Just be sure to block off the viewfinder so light doesn't get in.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Also, if you have a computer with you that you can easily digitize your footage into, you can watch your footage right then and crop it on the computer to see how it'll look.

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoThat's what the small attachment monitor is for. You see them on film sets all the time. They attach to the top of the camera. The operator looks at that instead of through the viewfinder. Just be sure to block off the viewfinder so light doesn't get in.

This sounds good. What is it called, how much does it run to rent, and will it go on the XL1S?