Bryan Singer

Started by MacGuffin, March 05, 2004, 02:59:22 AM

MacGuffin

Bryan Singer to Direct Logan's Run Remake!
Source: Variety

Bryan Singer will direct a remake of Logan's Run for Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver. The sci-fi action film about a man trying to escape a mandatory death sentence on his 21st birthday is being fast-tracked to start production this year. Singer will do "Run" before going back to the "X-Men" franchise.

"I was drawn to X-Men" because of its universal issues of tolerance," Singer tells Variety. "This deals with a utopian society, but also with the obsession of youth and mortality. I've already started working with my 'X2' production designer, Guy Dyas, to create a visual world we've never seen before."

"The novel contains a great idea for a film, and Bryan has found a way to go back to it and use his technical abilities to make a huge sci-fi adventure film," added Silver.

Ethan Gross and Paul Todisco, with Singer, are writing the script, and the studio plans to release the film in 2005. No stars have been cast as of yet.

The 1976 original, released by MGM, starred Michael York as a man who tries to outrun cops who kill everyone who reaches 30 to alleviate overpopulation. Singer and Silver are lowering that age to 21, as it was in the William Nolan novel, which means a showy role for a young actor.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Would you guys stop with the remakes already!

Rudie Obias

bryan singer = overfuckin'rated hack!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: rudieobbryan singer = overfuckin'rated hack!!!!

You have to admit that he's one of the better overrated hacks, though.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: rudieobbryan singer = overfuckin'rated hack!!!!

You have to admit that he's one of the better overrated hacks, though.

not really....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

analogzombie

I just think he's a total dweeb. I watched X2 with commentary and there is something in it where he talks about how he always puts circles in his films as symbolic. He doesn't say why or what they are symbolic of, just that they are symbolic. That struck me as a total hilarious film student thing to say/do. I mean, ok so symbolism for symbolism's sake is bad enough but if it doesn't mean anything it's not symbolic and don't you think you could have found something a little less common than a circle?? After watching the behind the scenes stuff too, he just seems like a wuss. I don't know if that counts for anything, but to me it does. I am amazed that wuss is able to accomplish what he can. I love Logan's Run and am excited about the remake. Especially since they are going back to the novel for inspiration, like Soderbergh's Solaris, so I'm all for it. I just think Bryan Singer is a weenie that would get his ass beat by Steve McQueen's corpse.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

NEON MERCURY

i thinks he is kwell....

Pubrick

Quote from: analogzombieI just think he's a total dweeb.
After watching the behind the scenes stuff too, he just seems like a wuss.
I just think Bryan Singer is a weenie that would get his ass beat by Steve McQueen's corpse.
hahaha, great observation. i noticed that too.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Fox breaks off film deal with helmer Singer

20th Century Fox has terminated its two-year deal with Bryan Singer and his Bad Hat Harry production company -- in the middle of its first year -- in the wake of the director's signing last month with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct a new "Superman" feature. Singer, who has begun working out of "Superman's" production offices at Warners, has not signed an overall deal with Warners, though he is developing a "Logan's Run" remake for the studio as well. Fox has had discussions with Singer to direct "X-Men 3," a sequel to his two successful "X-Men" films, but it had never nailed down that deal, which wasn't part of his overall Fox pact. Neither Fox nor Singer's reps at WMA could be reached for comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Singer's Got Milk
Brandon Boyce will adapt Randy Shilts' novel about the career and assassination of gay politician Harvey Milk. Source: FilmStew.com

Bryan Singer, who's currently at the helm of Warner Bros.' highly-anticipated Superman Returns, will be working with his Apt Pupil scribe Brandon Boyce to adapt Randy Shilts' The Mayor of Castro Street for the big screen, also for Warner Bros. Singer will produce with Storyline Entertainment's Craig Zadan and Neil Meron and Tom DeSanto.

Mayor of Castro Street chronicles the life and career of politician Harvey Milk. Milk was the first openly gay man elected to any major political office in the U.S. Upon becoming a supervisor in San Francisco, both Milk and San Fran Mayor George Moscone were assassinated by fellow supervisor Daniel White.

Zadan and Meron have been passionate about the project for the past 15 years. At various points in time helmers such as Oliver Stone and Gus Van Sant and actors including Robin Williams, Daniel Day-Lewis and Kevin Kline have been interested. Now, Polly Cohen will oversee the latest incarnation for Warners.

In addition to Superman, Singer, repped by WMA, is currently working on the pre-production of Logan's Run. His other big screen credits include The Usual Suspects and the X-Men films.

Boyce most recently wrote Wicker Park. He also penned Jim Gillespie's Backwater, which is currently in post-production at Dimension Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I watched the documentary "Times of Harvey Milk" tonight and kept picturing a 40-50ish Dustin Hoffman in the role, if the story were to be adapted into a film.

MacGuffin

Logan's Run May Lose Director
Bryan Singer taking a break after Superman

Warner Brothers and producer Joel Silver are anxious to begin shooting their remake of Logan's Run this fall. There's just one snag, though, says Variety: their director, Bryan Singer, might not be available. Singer, who's rapidly on his way to director superstar-dom after helming the colossally expensive Superman Returns, would like to take a break once the superhero flick is in the can.

Still, the change is just a possibility at the moment. Singer is likely to make a decision once Superman is released in July. If the film is the hit the studio hopes for, a sequel will go into production in 2007 — and Singer is expected to helm that picture as well. Shooting Logan's Run in between would make Singer responsible for three major back-to-back films.

James McTeigue, director of V for Vendetta, is tipped to be a potential replacement for Singer on Logan's Run.

Logan's Run is the story of a society that kills its citizens upon the age of 21. On the eve of his birthday, one man decides to make a daring escape. The remake is expected to bow in mid-2007.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Split Infinitive

I can't think of anyone better-suited to direct the Logan's Run remake than James McTiegue.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

MacGuffin

Singer Runs From Logan
Superman director no longer in the running.

Brian Singer, director of X-Men and this summer's Superman, has confirmed that he'll be taking a rest from filmmaking — and that means he won't be a part of the Logan's Run remake he'd been planning to shoot.

"...At the moment I'm buying myself sort of a vacation of the mind," Singer explained to Dark Horizons. "I need to because Superman and all the things I was doing simultaneously with this film were a monumental stress to me, both physically and mentally... I have to take a mental break and actually not have any scheduled demands. I'll probably want to go back to work at some point but for Logan's Run, that's a huge movie, potentially a huge movie and I was not ready to dive into it."

In fact, Singer isn't even set on making the Superman sequel — a nearly sure thing. It all depends on how he feels after his vacation.

Logan's Run is to be based on the 1976 science fiction of the same name — a tale of a society that kills off its citizens as they turn 21. On the eve of his final birthday, one man decides to escape.

James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) has been suggested as a possible replacement for Singer on Logan's Run. Stay tuned to find out what develops!

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 26, 2006, 08:02:45 PM
James McTeigue The Wachowski Bros. (V for Vendetta) have been suggested as a possible replacement for Singer on Logan's Run. Stay tuned to find out what develops!

Fixed