Howard Hawks

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 03:56:14 PM

modage

QT has named him as his favorite director.  he made a wide range of films from westerns to wacky comedies to detective film noir type things.  i think he deserves a thread.  i loved BRINGING UP BABY and thought it was wacky as hell. i liked THE BIG SLEEP (but i had just watched THE MALTESE FALCON and for bogie detective flicks i preferred the latter).  the plot got a little muddled i thought.   next up for me is RIO BRAVO, HIS GIRL FRIDAY and GENTLEMAN PREFER BLONDES.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

children with angels

His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby are two of my favourite golden era movies: they still feel so fresh and funny.

Hawks was amazing the way he could shift genres so successfully.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

yeah i mean, just the differences between BRINGING UP BABY and THE BIG SLEEP.  totally different styles, genres, feels.  i wouldnt have known it was the same guy, if i....didn't know it was the same guy.  i am very excited to see some more though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

children with angels

That happened a lot more in the studio system: jobbing directors being given lots of different kinds of material - I mean, Michael Curtiz, who made Casablanca, made The Adventures of Robin Hood...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

Quote from: children with angelsThe Adventures of Robin Hood...

which is also on my list (of movies to see).  i think its interesting to have a director who could adapt to the material like that.  even though it may not be his hearts desire he can still make a terrific film.  thats something you dont see as much nowadays (as we are not really in a studio assembly line type setup).

Gold Trumpet

I'm going to start getting more into his movies with my weekly cheap rentals of old movies where I rent 5 movies for a week and watch it over that week. Red River, though, is a great film. One of the very best westerns and I definitely recommend it.

~rougerum

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm going to start getting more into his movies with my weekly cheap rentals of old movies where I rent 5 movies for a week and watch it over that week. Red River, though, is a great film. One of the very best westerns and I definitely recommend it.

~rougerum

Red River does rule......I suggest watching that.....with any John Ford Western...and compare the 2.....the difference between something in the same genre is almost unseen.....

Ernie

I've seen Rio Bravo and it's one of my favorite movies...definitely look forward to seeing more by Hawks...John Ford too.

MacGuffin

Have to make a special mention:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

just watched Rio Bravo finally.  loved loved loved it.  so good.  funny, good action, great characters and relationships.  it was really great, and i am going to have to buy it.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: children with angelsHis Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby are two of my favourite golden era movies: they still feel so fresh and funny.

Hawks was amazing the way he could shift genres so successfully.

And his dialogue was almost revolutionary, the way he had characters overlap sentences (i.e. Bogie and Bacall in The Big Sleep)....it drew a certain chemistry between the characters and made them seem all that more real.  This guy RULES.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

just watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and His Girl Friday, both of which i liked (although my favorites are still Bringing Up Baby and Rio Bravo).  GPB was pretty good, it seemed like a wacky I love Lucy episode with some musical numbers thrown in rather than a big scale musical (like singin in the rain).  but was good.  monroe and russell were funny.  and his girl friday i liked also.  but there were about 30 min towards the middle that cary grant was not in!  it really slowed the movie down i thought.  and then it got a little too into the escaped killer thing and not enough of the witty backandforth with grant and that was disappointing.  i love cary grant.

Alethia

i fucking love his girl friday with a passion

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon[The Big Sleep

Wonderful mention...great flick.  Marlowe is sweet.

modage

just watched Hatari! at the recommendation (and loaning of the dvd) from my boss, who inexplicably is in love with the movie.  i thought it was pretty good.  good characters, great locations (africa).  surprisingly, not really any sort of plot.  (and it was a two and a half hour movie).  just sort of the characters relationships and them going out and hunting animals during the day and getting drunk at nite.  but i liked it. so i think...

1. bringing up baby
2. rio bravo
3. hatari
4. gentlemen prefer blondes
5. his girl friday
6. the big sleep

if i had to rank my favorites for my own INTRO TO HOWARD HAWKS>