THE LIST

Started by modage, May 12, 2003, 06:45:49 PM

modage

hello all film fanatics.  recently, as one of my new years resolutions i made a list of 100 movies i had to see before the end of the year.  i tried to make it a combination of directors i liked lesser known works, directors i had read about, american and foriegn "classics" and whatever else i decided to throw in there.  now that i am approaching the end of my list, i was curious to find out what else i should maybe see.  so out of some of the "great" directors, what are the important, or rather your favorite works, by them.  as in, the hitchcock movies i have seen, may differ from yours.  as will our favorites.  so off the list of directors what are the 2 or 3 essential movies to see?  thanks for any opinions.  here are some directors....

FEDERICO FELLINI

FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT

AKIRA KUROSAWA

JEAN-LUC GODARD

INGMAR BERGMAN

FRITZ LANG

JEAN RENOIR

ORSON WELLES

FRANK CAPRA

ALFRED HITCHCOCK

HOWARD HAWKS

JOHN HUSTON

JOHN FORD

DAVID LEAN

BILLY WILDER

STANLEY DONEN

GEORGE CUKOR

GEORGE ROY HILL

ROBERT ALTMAN

WILLIAM FRIEDKIN

SAM PECKINPAH

SERGIO LEONE

MIKE NICHOLS

WOODY ALLEN

SIDNEY LUMET

MILOS FORMAN

FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA

MARTIN SCORSESE

STANLEY KUBRICK

STEVEN SPIELBERG

JONATHAN DEMME

BRIAN DE PALMA

DAVID LYNCH

this is just some of the directors off my list.  as in, i had seen Blue Velvet, but not Wild At Heart.  so i tried to brush up a bit on a wide group of movies and see some of what i was missing out on.  so off that list what are your top 3 movies per each director above?  thanks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

phil marlowe

Sleuth

Didn't BK have a post here
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

he did. he mustve realised that there were no burger stories in it and deleted it.

MrBurgerKing

Yeah, the admins are right.. calling someone a McDonalds employee is a bit too harsh, perhaps I should have settled for Dennys?

MrBurgerKing

who am I, larry flint?

godardian

George Roy Hill has a charming one called The World of Henry Orient that I remember loving... Haven't seen The Sting, but I hear it's terrible.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weak2ndAct

Nobody ever talks about "Straight Time," directed by Ulu Grossbard, starring Dustin Hoffman, and written by Eddie "Mr. Blue" Bunker.  One of the most underrated movies of the 70's and a gangbusters crime flick.  M. Emmett Walsh as a crooked parole officer, Gary Busey as a junkie, and Harry Dean Stanton as the partner-in-crime-- what more could you want in a movie?

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

The Silver Bullet

QuoteHaven't seen The Sting, but I hear it's terrible.
You heard wrong. The Sting is a wonderful little movie. A lot of fun.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Mesh

Quote from: themodernage02

FEDERICO FELLINI - 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita

FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT - The 400 Blows

AKIRA KUROSAWA - Rashomon, The Hidden Fortress, Ran

JEAN-LUC GODARD - Breathless

INGMAR BERGMAN - Persona

FRITZ LANG - Metropolis

JEAN RENOIR - The Grand Illusion

ORSON WELLES - Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Touch of Evil

FRANK CAPRA - It's a Wonderful Life

ALFRED HITCHCOCK - Psycho, Vertigo, Rope

HOWARD HAWKS - His Girl Friday, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Big Sleep

JOHN HUSTON - The Maltese Falcon, The Asphalt Jungle, Treasure of the Sierra Madre

JOHN FORD - The Grapes of Wrath, My Darling Clementine, The Searchers

DAVID LEAN - A Passage to India, The Bridge on the River Kwai

BILLY WILDER - Double Indemnity, Some Like it Hot

STANLEY DONEN - On the Town, Singin' in the Rain

GEORGE CUKOR - My Fair Lady

GEORGE ROY HILL - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, Slap Shot

ROBERT ALTMAN - M.A.S.H., Nashville, Short Cuts, The Player

WILLIAM FRIEDKIN - The Exorcist, The French Connection

SAM PECKINPAH - Straw Dogs

SERGIO LEONE - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America

MIKE NICHOLS - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Graduate, Regarding Henry

WOODY ALLEN - Annie Hall, Hannah and Her Sisters, Deconstructing Harry

SIDNEY LUMET - Network, 12 Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon

MILOS FORMAN - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, The People vs. Larry Flynt

FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA - The Godfather, The Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now!

MARTIN SCORSESE - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GoodFellas

STANLEY KUBRICK - 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon

STEVEN SPIELBERG - Jaws, E.T., Schindler's List

DAVID LYNCH - Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man, Wild at Heart

See all those, and you're on your way.

godardian

Dog Day Afternoon is brilliant.

I would also add Vincente Minnelli's The Bad and the Beautiful. Which of course brings me to: If you haven't seen A Personal Journey Through American Movies with Martin Scorsese, make THAT #1. It will well inform your future viewing.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sphinx

Quote from: MrBurgerKingYeah, the admins are right.. calling someone a McDonalds employee is a bit too harsh, perhaps I should have settled for Dennys?

you committed what's called thread hijacking.  taking a thread someone else has started and shifting the topic to make it your own.  i probably wouldn't have had such a problem with it had it not been the first reply to a thread, and the first reply to a thread of someone somewhat new to the boards.  it's probably the only time i'll ever do that again, hijacking right off the bat is probably what drives people away from boards like these

modage

wow.  mesh i would like to thank you a lot for that list (which is exactly what i was kind of interested in but failed to elicit from anybody else). apologies if my topic was confusing, but i thought it might make an interesting discussion for who holds what as being their favorites.  if someone asked ME about billy wilder i might tell them to go see THE APARTMENT, DOUBLE INDEMNITY and SOME LIKE IT HOT.  whereas someone else might say to see SUNSET BLVD, THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH and SABRINA. oh well. yeah, ive actually seen

8 1/2, La Dolce Vita The 400 Blows Rashomon Breathless Metropolis
The Grand Illusion Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Touch of Evil It's a Wonderful Life Psycho, Vertigo The Big Sleep The Maltese Falcon The Grapes of Wrath The Searchers Double Indemnity, Some Like it Hot  The Bridge on the River Kwai Singin' in the Rain My Fair Lady Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid M.A.S.H., Nashville, Short Cuts, The Player The Exorcist, The French Connection Straw Dogs The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Graduate Annie Hall Deconstructing Harry Network  Dog Day Afternoon One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, The People vs. Larry Flynt The Godfather, The Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now! Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GoodFellas 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, E.T., Schindler's List Blue Velvet,  Wild at Heart

so i think ive done pretty good. but i will definately add some of your suggestions to my new LIST of movies to see.  thanks again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

oh, and i was just kind of randomly compiling some "important" directors to flesh out their catalogues but if there is anything else not on there feel free to recommend that too.