The Conformist

Started by SoNowThen, September 14, 2003, 02:33:53 PM

SoNowThen

This must come out on DVD. The only version even available in North America was the full-framed English dubbed version, and now THAT'S out of print. How the fuck can I find this movie? I'd even break down and buy any decent vhs copy, just have to have it...

C'mon Mac, tell me you've heard something... anything...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

A lot of Criterion fans cry over the situation of this movie and it ever getting released......or basically not getting released. Paramount, a company strictly against giving titles to Criterion anymore, aren't doing anything about this film. It is still collecting dust and looks like it will for the forseeable future.

The Latest from Heaven.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

A few questions: why doesn't Paramount give titles to Criterion? And why wouldn't they just release it bare-bones themselves? It's a pretty well-respected movie, wouldn't they make any money off it?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Paramount will have to give up potential revenue if they license the movie to Criterion and dvd age has brought on greed for easy money beyond death. Also, why they don't release it now is because they have vaults way too deep to touch every potential making film anytime soon. This film is just in the backlog of what to release. Other movies can make better money so Paramount just lets the film sit. One good thing in general is that many studios have realized they can't touch their vaults all at once so they are licensing titles to Criterion that are first on their list of what to get and last on studios.

~rougerum

Ravi

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RaviIf Fox can do Sunrise...

Very true. And to give SoNowThen a glimmer of hope, I remember a minor rumor saying The Conformist may show up sometime next year. So minor of a rumor I think it appeared on a chat with a Paramount dvd producer and answering maybe with every question on future releases.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Cool  GT, thanks for the info. I'm getting this specialty video store out here to ship in the vhs copy for me  while I wait...

lamas

make sure you're not buying a dubbed video.  I bought a copy on eBay and the quality sucked.

Find Your Magali

I first saw clips of this in "Visions of Light" (documentary about cinematography) and I've wanted to see it ever since. Looks amazing.

Hope we do get the royal DVD treatment some day.

SoNowThen

Quote from: lamasmake sure you're not buying a dubbed video.  I bought a copy on eBay and the quality sucked.

Dubbed might be all we can get in North America. I just rented that version this weekend, and it's not too bad. I'd rather have Italian w/ subtitles of course.

It was rereleased in 1994 I think, so you'd think the studio would have a good version kicking around...

lamas

I meant a copy of an original VHS tape.  Like VCR to VCR.  The visual quality of my tape sucked.  I'd also have to say the american version of the main character's voice was really weird and didn't quite work.  So yeah, this definitely needs a DVD release.

Find Your Magali

And here's a nice start for the DVD cover

Burb41

On this topic... a few years ago at the AC clubhouse for their annual bru-ha-ha Vittorio Storaro expressed great passion for the film to be re-released but mentioned that all attempts had been stymied and the film has been very difficult to get re-transferred to video, etc. Incidentally there was an executive from Paramount who was in charge of the Film transfer department who shrugged and nodded along, but offered little hope at the time.

The video copies aren't worth watching... it's really a shame.
jacob
A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystalized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others.
J.Krishnamurti

lamas

The Conformist is on Cinemax tonight/early morning (4/26) at 3:45am on Cinemax.  I assume the picture will be about as clear as I will ever get a chance to see it until the DVD comes out (if it ever does).