Eclipse News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, October 20, 2005, 04:58:15 PM

Gold Trumpet

This will be the page for the Eclipse label. The sub company to Criterion that will be releasing rarer and harder to find films of the past and present. Expect many titles to cult favorites. I'll update the way I do for Criterion. Officially, no comment has yet arrived from Criterion on the details of this label. Word is that an annoucement is coming very soon. (as soon as word comes, it will be posted here)

But, many films have already hit the rumor belt. To run many of them down:

Richard Gordon Box Set(?) -
THE HAUNTED STRANGLER [Grip of the Strangler] (1958)
FIRST MAN INTO SPACE (1959)
THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE (1959)
CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (1962)

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Gojira
Equinox
GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL
Erotica films(?)
Jigoku
The Face of Another
Andy Warhol films
Massacre at Central High
lesser known Alejandro Jodorowsky films

These are the real films that have been rumored. Many have been recommended and I imagine many will be surprises. I didn't identify the filmmakers of these films. If you know the film, you know the filmmaker. If you're like me for most of these titles, you really don't know.

It's just an interesting move for Criterion to take. This thread will try to keep track of everything.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Andrei Jodorowsky

when tarkofsky and alejandro made sweet love...
context, context, context.

Gold Trumpet

hedwig

This is awesome. I can't wait for those Warhol films.

edison

Thats interesting because some of those were possible criterions

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'd be really excited for Gojira, I was obsessed with him as a kid.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

What exactly is the domain of this label?  Criterion is the flagship brand and, Home Vision has the not-so-classic films.  Eclipse is the more esoteric stuff, lesser known, possibly avant garde, films?

Gold Trumpet

Criterion (or Janus) owns Eclipse. Home Vision is now a dead label thanks to Image buying out the whole thing. Their final releases will be in November. But, here's the exact details on Eclipse:

The Criterion Collection/Janus Films
210 E. 52nd St.
New York, NY 10022
US

Domain Name: ECLIPSEDVD.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Darden, Tammi tammi@criterionco.com
The Criterion Collection/Janus Films
210 East 52nd Street
5th Floor
New York, NY 10022
US
212 756-8822 fax: 212-756-8850

Record expires on 08-Dec-2005.
Record created on 08-Dec-2004.
Bulk whois optout: N
Database last updated on 31-Jul-2005 02:28:46 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS83.WORLDNIC.COM 216.168.228.44
NS84.WORLDNIC.COM 216.168.225.224

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: RaviWhat exactly is the domain of this label?  Criterion is the flagship brand and, Home Vision has the not-so-classic films.  Eclipse is the more esoteric stuff, lesser known, possibly avant garde, films?

Eclipse will make blind buys with Criterion safer.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Rumor has it that Eclipse will make its long anticipated debut this September. That is all.

Gold Trumpet

Good news considering this was expected to be dropped, but bad news in that it looks like Eclipse will be nothing more than an HVE replacement for second tier films on standard dvds.

A post on the Criterion forum explains it all,

"There is a one page article in the new issue of Cahiers du Cinema, the article ends on what Eclipse is going to be: A cheaper line with no supplements apart from the trailer, 12 titles per year starting with early Bergman, Les croix de Bois (Raymond Bernard - 1931), some Gremillion, some Le Chanois. The article is based on an discussion with Fumiko Tagaki.

That's all it says."

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Early Bergman: Eclipse Series 1

5-Disc set includes: Torment, Crisis, Port Of Call, Thirst, and To Joy.

If not already known, Eclipse will be a series to highlight the lesser known films Criterion does not have the time to revamp and release. Instead of just focusing on genre favorites, it will highlight the lesser known works of major directors, including Louis Malle (his documentaries), Yasurjo Ozu (likely his silents) and Jean Renoir. All these filmmakers have been confirmed to be upcoming in the release schedule of Eclipse. These titles, though, will feature prints not brought up to Criterion standards. They will just be the best known prints only.

This early Ingmar Bergman set is due in March and listed for the price of $69.95. Each month will focus on a different director.

edison

Pwaybloe

Wow.  Spectacular job of Criterion differentiating Eclipse titles from their own.