Stanley Kubrick : A Life in Pictures

Started by Finn, October 13, 2003, 03:58:35 PM

Finn

I know this is probably really late for this thread, but it's obvious that this documentary should be talked about. If you own the Stanley Kubrick Collection, then this documentary came with it. It was directed by Jan Harlan with many interviews from various actors, assistants and family members who have shared their lives with him. I thought it was really well done, and I have to say that I got chills at the end when they showed his complete filmography with "Women of Ireland" from Barry Lyndon playing.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

mutinyco

It's kind of a weak documentary. It was controlled by his family. Not bad, per se, just light.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alexandro

i liked the fact that they were going film by film...slowly...but it's light....

mutinyco

I think this is Kubrick post 999. Who wants to be 1000?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Congratulations! You've won...nothing.

-St. Joe

tpfkabi

i thought they were going to release this seperately with a book?

i also thought they were going to release the Napoleon script in book form.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: bigideasi also thought they were going to release the Napoleon script in book form.
http://kubrickfilms.warnerbros.com/news/press/napoleon_pressrelease.html
some day....
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

i quite liked this.  i get a little choked up at the end, when they talk about his death, then show the clips from his movies from EWS to fear and desire.  i still cant believe he died.  i dont think its hit me yet.

tpfkabi

not to get off topic from the Doc, but no need to start a new thread.

i seem to remember reading that Ridley Scott was possibly involved in filming Napoleon? am i dreaming this or not?

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasnot to get off topic from the Doc, but no need to start a new thread.

i seem to remember reading that Ridley Scott was possibly involved in filming Napoleon? am i dreaming this or not?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1049

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1865
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: ewardi quite liked this.  i get a little choked up at the end, when they talk about his death, then show the clips from his movies from EWS to fear and desire.  i still cant believe he died.  i dont think its hit me yet.

Same here, and too can't get over about his untimely death.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

pookiethecat

it is a great documentary, i agree...i've seen it several times.  i find it more enjoyable to watch than most of his films, actually.
i wanna lick 'em.

tpfkabi

when i was shopping for Christmas i saw the box set.
there's no way i can shell out the bucks for that. i've already got three of them...........but i want to see it so badly........people who put things exclusively in box sets are the devil.........i say that for this release and the Criterion Antoine Daniel box set........yes, i'm sure the rest are good, but i've only seen the 400 Blows.........let me discover them on my own time and let me watch 400 Blows on it's own