The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

matt35mm

I also really like the movie but I know that a lot of the show's fans hate it. It's definitely not the popular consensus that the movie is better than the show.

You're gonna want to watch the show first, because the movie spoils a lot of what's supposed to be unknown when you're watching the show. It's a really fun show to watch once you get sucked into it.

But after you've finished watching the show, you should forget all about it before you watch the movie, or at least not expect it to be the same at all. It is very different from the show, and this is why a lot of people ended up hating it. It was only with a few viewings and some distance between watching the show and the film that I came to appreciate how great it is.

Jeremy Blackman

I saw the movie first, and honestly I think it set the bar too high for the show (for me). I agree, watch the show first, because of that and spoilers.

I can't fathom why the show's fans don't like the movie. Were they expecting more campy comedy? Considering the subject matter, I don't know how the movie could have been done better. It's a perfect prequel.

Quote from: wilderesque on April 13, 2011, 06:49:54 PMlike a lot of Lynch's stuff I found the vibe more interesting than the actual story . . . I try to look at his stuff now more like moving paintings instead of viewing them as normal narrative features. Lynch is a weird motherfucker, but I guess that's stating the obvious.

He has a lot of interesting images, so I think that's valid... But personally, I get the most out of Lynch's stories and characters. Better to view his movies as puzzles than moving paintings, I think.

matt35mm

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 13, 2011, 07:22:03 PM
I can't fathom why the show's fans don't like the movie. Were they expecting more campy comedy? Considering the subject matter, I don't know how the movie could have been done better. It's a perfect prequel.

I think it's mostly because almost none of the characters from the show are in the movie (and a major part was re-cast, and nobody likes when that happens). Yeah the show has a lot of campiness but that's a core part of the charm that people see in the show. The movie is resolutely NOT charming. The show was funny and scary and moving, and even though it was one of the darkest shows on TV for that time, it was bright and cheery compared to the devastating darkness of the film.

The film is also really strange in its structure, which adds to how disturbing it is. The whole first 20-30 minutes feels like this kooky comedy and then there's a radical shift and descent into some of the darkest stuff I've ever seen in a movie.

The TV show was pretty much mainstream and a little left of center. Also another part of the charm of the show was that every week you'd get to see all the characters in this town and you'd get this warm feeling, like you're catching up with your buddies. For those fans, watching Fire Walk With Me was like expecting to see your old friends once again and instead being thrown into a madhouse and told that you'd never see your friends again.

I can see how starting with Fire Walk With Me would be a very different experience, because you'd be going from this really bold piece of cinema to a relatively mainstream show with flashes of brilliance. I could see how that would be disappointing.

It's also definitely fair to call the TV show uneven. I don't think there are a lot of people who would defend every part of the show, especially in the second season. Even Lynch admitted that the second season didn't go the way they had wished. But it was still so fun to watch and I love it for its overall charm and flashes of brilliance. It just has to be said that the movie is a totally different animal.

MacGuffin

The very first shot of Fire Walk With Me tells you the movie is not the show when an axe smashes through a tv set.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Interesting stuff, matt. I totally see that perspective now.

wilder

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 13, 2011, 07:22:03 PM
He has a lot of interesting images, so I think that's valid... But personally, I get the most out of Lynch's stories and characters. Better to view his movies as puzzles than moving paintings, I think.

I've tried to look at them as puzzles...I just don't think my brain was wired for them. I pieced something together out of Lost Highway, but whatever I could grasp onto was too vague for my liking. I think most of Lynch's stuff just goes over my head but I see him as more of an artist than a filmmaker - there's still something to appreciate for me even if it's as base as his interesting images. Something's going on in his head but it's communicated in a language I don't speak well I guess.

Reel

I dug the movie a lot more than the show too. It pretty much broke my cherry for what the whole series was about and made me really intrigued, now I've seen all of season 1, and I'm convinced it might be one of the best shows ever on Television. Part of the reason I'm hesitant to continue with the show, though is that I know it can't go to some of the batshit crazy places Lynch went in the movie, which is why he made it in the first place. He's got such a great mind, why can't we have 90's Lynch return to this decade?

Jeremy Blackman

I think each of his movies has been better than the last, especially FWWM onward, which IMO is a pretty stunning body of work. (We'll call A Straight Story his The Boss Of It All.)

Wilderesque - Lost Highway is a tough one to crack (all the way, at least), but there's a theory that makes the whole thing really simple. (SPOILERS) The murder is real, being locked up is real, and his mental illness is real... but the rest is a product of his psychosis and uncontrollable jealousy. It doesn't explain everything, but it's something to start with.

Gold Trumpet

This may be on DVDs and well known already, but I scanned this entire thread and saw nothing...Here's a link to Japanese coffee commercials Lynch directed in the 1990s that revolved around Twin Peaks.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/93759

socketlevel

There is so much unused footage from fire walk with me, i'd love to see a longer cut or deleted scenes some day.

I think it's my favorite lynch film.
the one last hit that spent you...

Fernando

I guess you're among those ppl.(?). :yabbse-smiley:

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 07, 2007, 09:18:19 AM
Interview with DVD Producer Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika: Well, I would love to work on a "Fire Walk With Me" Special Edition. As I mentioned earlier, I had it all planned to be apart of a complete "Twin Peaks" box set. But even if I'm not involved, I just hope those deleted scenes are finally released. I know of at least a couple people on various message boards who won't find true happiness in life unless those damn things come out.

I love FWWM btw, and would be great if it gets a proper release some day.

Jeremy Blackman

They should combine the FWWM and Dune deleted scenes into one new film.

Sleepless

Of all Lynch's films, Dune is the one I would like to see a true director's version of.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

john

Quote from: socketlevel on July 14, 2011, 12:53:22 PM

I'm glad you said that. Not that I need affirmation, or validation, but it's a sentiment that I rarely see shared by other people.

Initially, I assumed my affection for it was complimented by the fact that it was the very first Lynch film I'd ever seen... before the show itself, even. But the truth is, it's just really, really good. Scarier than most horror films and also disarmingly gentle at times.

It's frightening, beautiful, unnerving and alternately emotionally exhausting and rewarding.

About once a year I remember two things:

1. I don't own a hi-def copy of this.

2. There's a sea of deleted footage I still haven't seen and could, potentially, never see.

And it bums me the fuck out.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

socketlevel

Quote from: Sleepless on July 14, 2011, 04:41:49 PM
Of all Lynch's films, Dune is the one I would like to see a true director's version of.

i agree only based on how balls the film is, it's so bad. FWWM is fucking great though. so it's either see something that sucked have a new wind in it's sails or see more of what i love...

I think if it was one or the other, i'd go with twin peaks.

Quote from: john on July 14, 2011, 05:09:17 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on July 14, 2011, 12:53:22 PM

I'm glad you said that. Not that I need affirmation, or validation, but it's a sentiment that I rarely see shared by other people.

Initially, I assumed my affection for it was complimented by the fact that it was the very first Lynch film I'd ever seen... before the show itself, even. But the truth is, it's just really, really good. Scarier than most horror films and also disarmingly gentle at times.

It's frightening, beautiful, unnerving and alternately emotionally exhausting and rewarding.

About once a year I remember two things:

1. I don't own a hi-def copy of this.

2. There's a sea of deleted footage I still haven't seen and could, potentially, never see.

And it bums me the fuck out.

one love man. actually it's Lars Von Trier's favorite lynch film as well; for what that's worth. i listened to a podcast where he said as much.

the moment Laura Palmer is walking up the stairs and enters her room, camera holds on her, and she screams (the audience still not able to see what she's looking at), then finally cutting to bob in the most awkward position with his hand behind her dresser... might be the scariest moment I've ever seen in cinema. top 5 at least. off the top of my head, i can't think of anything worse/better.

the most beautiful part of this fear inducing scene is that it's not shot for the shock. it's just shear delay and payoff tension.
the one last hit that spent you...