Frame counting

Started by Born Under Punches, August 27, 2004, 04:57:40 PM

Born Under Punches

So I'm watching the new DVD for Purple Rain this week and listening to the commentary featuring Albert Magnoli.  During the scene before the Computer Blue number, Magnoli mentions something about frame counting and how he used it (he was the editor as well) mentioning that he used 3, 7, 21 and how he learned it while attending USC from George Lucas who apparently used 4, 8, 12.  Could somebody pull a Philadelphia and explain this to me like I'm a three year old.  What is frame counting?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Run Fay RunSo I'm watching the new DVD for Purple Rain this week and listening to the commentary featuring Albert Magnoli.  

Is the commentary good on Purple Rain?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Born Under Punches

pretty good actually.  alot of it is magnoli talking about how prince carried a purple notebook and scribbled ideas and how no one thought the movie would be so popular (mainly warner brothers who didn't have that much faith in the first-time director and three new producers.)

bonanzataz

Quote from: Run Fay RunCould somebody pull a Philadelphia and explain this to me like I'm a three year old.  What is frame counting?

NOW i know where i got that line from. i say it all the time and knew it was from SOME movie. now i know. thanks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

subversiveproductions

I'm probably way off on this, but I believe that has something to do with rhythm, whether of the music or just the "beats" of the film.  Like I said though, I'm probably way off.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

pete

it's editing related, it's how your editing platform counts the frames when you run the film footage, and I assume the 4 - 8 -12 and 3 - 7- 21 are ways the numbers are divided.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton