Madonna ;)

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 25, 2004, 10:57:56 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: mollyworse than Elizabeth Hurley?
W-wait.  Elizabeth Hurley is an actress?!

I thought she was just a fantasy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Finn

Elizabeth Hurley is Marilyn Monroe compared to Madonna. At least she did at least a couple of decent films, doesn't get hot off crucifixs and didn't star in a movie made by her own husband.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: mollyworse than Elizabeth Hurley?
W-wait.  Elizabeth Hurley is an actress?!

Go watch "Permanent Midnight" and you'll see, given the right material, she can act.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Yes, Hurley can actually be a joy to watch. Madonna, however, is painful.

a.santi

amen...

She should stick to the singing,
I really enjoy watching her videos,Frozen is my favorite.

MacGuffin

Why the hell does she get second billing?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinWhy the hell does she get second billing?
same reason anyone does anything, symmetry.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Is it wrong to laugh?

Madonna recovering after riding accident

TOLLARD ROYAL (Reuters) - Pop star Madonna was recovering on Wednesday after suffering several broken bones in a riding accident, but the injuries were not expected to delay the launch of her new album due out in November.

The singer cracked three ribs and broke her collar bone and a hand when she fell off her horse on Tuesday at her 1,200-acre English country estate, Ashcombe House.

She had been celebrating her 47th birthday with husband     Guy Ritchie and two children Lourdes and Rocco.

"She is recovering at home," spokeswoman Barbara Charone said.

Reporters at the estate said they were told by ground staff later on Wednesday that Madonna had left Ashcombe House by helicopter, but this could not be immediately confirmed.

The $16 million property is located near the village of Tollard Royal, around 100 miles southwest of London.

Madonna's New York publicist said the American artist, famous around the world for hits including "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin," was riding a new horse at the time of the fall.

She was treated at a local hospital in Salisbury and later discharged.

The Mirror tabloid quoted one onlooker as saying: "She was clearly in agony and was in floods of tears."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

God knows how the world will end up sans madonna? i can't even imagine. the mear (mere?) thought makes me want to have a seizure
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Simpson Song Too Similar To Madonna's "Holiday"?
Jessica Simpson posted her new single A Public Affair on her website on Friday, only to receive a barrage of criticism claiming the song sounds eerily similar to Madonna's hit Holiday. Simpson's single is the title track from her new album And The Band Played On, which is set to be released on August 29. According to website TMZ.com. "The single appears to bear a striking resemblance to Madonna's 1983 hit Holiday." A representative for Simpson has dismissed the claims telling the website, "It is a fun summer single and comparing it to retro Madonna is flattering!"

MacGuffin

Esther - aka Madonna - may cut ties with Kabbalah

Esther may be about to become just plain Madonna again if, as a report suggested, she cuts her much derided ties with Kabbalah, the trendy Orthodox Jewish sect the US singer has championed.

The Independent on Sunday cited close friends of the singer saying she has talked of loosening her red Kabbalah wristband - used to ward off the "evil eye" - and is wearying of the mystical Jewish belief system.

Esther -- the adopted Hebrew name by which she is known to fellow believers -- has tired of the financial burden and the effect her strong beliefs have had on her relationship with husband Guy Ritchie, the paper said.

Madonna is also said to be concerned that following Kabbalah separates her children from more conventional customs such as Christmas, which they do not currently celebrate, it added.

The paper cited a spokesman for the singer as saying: "As far as I am aware, it is completely untrue".

Madonna's brand of Kabbalah has upset traditionalists, with religious scholars saying the version as practised both 47 year-old entertainer -- with its focus on "inner peace, financial prosperity, power and pleasure" -- is a far cry from the Orthodox spirituality prescribed by the sages of old.

An esoteric offshoot of Judaism, Kabbalah's origins can be traced back to the 12th and 13th centuries when its central text, the Zohar, was penned.

Taught only to a select few -- pious Jewish males over the age of 40 who have spent a lifetime immersed in the study of Hebrew texts -- dedication to Kabbalah requires arduous meditation and a strictly ascetic lifestyle.

Madonna's involvement has certainly raised Kabbalah's profile around the world, however, attracting other celebrities together with their generous donations to the cause.

She devotes several million pounds to the sect each year, as well as buying the venue for the London organisation at a cost of more than 3.6 million pounds (6.7 million dollars, 5.2 million euros), according to the Independent on Sunday.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Why do ascetics need millions of dollars?

polkablues

And how can someone type the phrase "trendy Orthodox Jewish sect" without dying of laughter?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 10, 2006, 11:46:03 AM
3.6 million pounds (6.7 million dollars, 5.2 million euros)

in any language it spells mazuma in the bank!
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Thank you, God!!!  :notworthy:

Madonna Abandons Movie Career
By WENN

HOLLYWOOD - Madonna has begrudgingly turned her back on her movie career, because she is convinced the media is hell bent on ensuring her film projects are flops.

The "Like a Virgin" singer was lauded for her performance in the big-screen adaptation of the musical Evita, but she has suffered a string of flops, most notably Body of Evidence and Swept Away, her last movie role directed by husband Guy Ritchie, which failed to secure a cinema release.

And the 47-year-old, who is currently in the midst of her Confessions world tour, will concentrate solely on her music career from now on.

She says, "I hate to admit it, but I've decided to give that up.

"How can any film survive if everyone says it's going to be a flop from the very day the project is even conceived?

"It's already dead in the water."

Skeleton FilmWorks