Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

MacGuffin

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82

(Reuters) - U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong, who took a giant leap for mankind when he became the first person to walk on the moon, has died at the age of 82, his family said on Saturday.

Armstrong died following complications from heart-bypass surgery he underwent earlier this month, the family said in a statement, just two days after his birthday on August 5.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the dusty surface, Armstrong said: "“That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

Those words endure as one of the best known quotes in the English language.

The Apollo 11 astronauts' euphoric moonwalk provided Americans with a sense of achievement in the space race with Cold War foe the Soviet Union and while Washington was engaged in a bloody war with the communists in Vietnam.

Neil Alden Armstrong was 38 years old at the time and even though he had fulfilled one of mankind's age-old quests that placed him at the pinnacle of human achievement, he did not revel in his accomplishment. He even seemed frustrated by the acclaim it brought.

"I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks but for the ledger of our daily work," Armstrong said in an interview on CBS's "60 Minutes" program in 2005.

He once was asked how he felt knowing his footprints would likely stay on the moon's surface for thousands of years. "I kind of hope that somebody goes up there one of these days and cleans them up," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

R.I.P to the Man! A great American, A great human being.

P.S: Next time we go to the moon, we should really bring better cameras.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Robyn

Send Terrence Malick up there for christ sake.

Reel

Well, Kubrick faked the moon landing so they were working with the best they had at the time..

InTylerWeTrust

Nah, Kubrick didn't fake it. That theory is flawed.

If Kubrick had faked the moon landings.... It at least would've looked cool. Instead what we get is some dudes in funny looking suits, jumping around slowly in a deserted area with darkness in the background. Boring and Horrible.

BTW (and I know I'm totally hi-jacking the thread) but I wonder, why haven't we gone back to the moon? What did they find up there that they don't want to encounter again?  :shock:

I say we go back with HD cameras and explore that motherfucker. I mean, they put billions of dollars into a bullshit war.. Why not take that money and put it to good spacial use? I'm just saying...

polkablues

The only scenario in which I can see people going back to the moon is if James Cameron decides he's bored with the ocean.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

theyarelegion

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: theyarelegion on August 27, 2012, 09:02:16 PM

http://www.sacredmysteries.com/public/263_2.cfm look at that front projection though!

Oh yeah that totally proves Kubrick faked it *Rolls eyes*

You wanna talk conspiracy theories? Let's talk about Bush and the Skull and Bones boys.... 9/11 and the "war" for oil. But of course, NO ONE wants to talk about that.

P.S: Hi-Jacking the thread.... We're doing it right.

theyarelegion

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 27, 2012, 09:15:24 PM
Oh yeah that totally proves Kubrick faked it *Rolls eyes*

Yeah, totally.

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 27, 2012, 09:15:24 PM
You wanna talk conspiracy theories? Let's talk about Bush and the Skull and Bones boys.... 9/11 and the "war" for oil. But of course, NO ONE wants to talk about that.

Yeah, no one talks about that.

InTylerWeTrust

So, all you have to add to the conversation is basically agreeing with everything I say in a humor-lacking sarcastic way?............ Ok...

But don't worry dude, you'll probably get upvoted 4 or 5 times.... Because sadly, around these parts mediocrity always gets rewarded... But that's ok. Enjoy.

P.S:  I'm an asshole... *shrugs*

theyarelegion

Tyler...what the fuck are you talking about, guy! What exactly have you added to the conversation except for a few half-baked smartass replies? I mean, look what I was working with here! Not every reply in disagreement is a personal attack on you.

Chill, Winston...

pete

tyler - chill out buddy. just stop assuming everyone's dumb and stop overrating the originality of your comments. stop picking fights with people in general.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Neil

I love this board. and that love will never die. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.