Crispin Hellion Glover

Started by meatball, October 24, 2003, 12:42:56 AM

meatball

Well.. I don't think there's been a topic on this man so far.. so I'll start one up. Hopefully I'm not mistaken.

Loved him in Back to the Future, River's Edge, Bartleby, Willard -- hell, in everything he has done. I especially loved his music video Ben... just classic in my book.

Find Your Magali

Of course, he'll always be George McFly...

I enjoyed seeing him in a "mainstream" role in Nurse Betty. Glover and Pruitt Taylor Vince had really nice interplay in that movie.

And, of course, Glover will also be remembered for nearly kicking David Letterman in the face in a 1987 appearance on the show. One of the craziest things ever; you don't get to see people whacked out on drugs on TV too often. And Letterman was pissed. Great stuff.

cine

Can you elaborate more on what transpired on that show?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: CinephileCan you elaborate more on what transpired on that show?

This site does a frighteningly good job of documenting it.

http://www.waxy.org/archive/2003/03/13/crispin_.shtml

Ghostboy

Funny, I never really considered that he might have been whacked out on drugs when he did that. It seemed sort of par for course.

So who here has his whole album? One of my friends has it. It's delightful.

cine

I couldn't have asked for anything better. That was great.
"He came very close to denting my head with those giant shoes. So I thought, I don't need that. I'm 40. I went to college. I've had a number of— That is not how I want my life ended, some goofball, some dork from wherever— (moans and boos from crowds) Oh, stop it, stop it. Do you want to have dinner with the guy? (applause)"
The ending to that is just sad... the audience gets free tickets to Letterman and pisses on his opinions about a guy who came to the show a little fucked up and almost kicked him in the head. Come on, people.. get with the program..

Sleuth

Quote from: CinephileThe ending to that is just sad... the audience gets free tickets to Letterman and pisses on his opinions about a guy who came to the show a little fucked up and almost kicked him in the head. Come on, people.. get with the program..

Did you ever see the episode of Conan where he says or does something, and the audience boos, then very defensively he says, "NO.  DON'T YOU DARE BOO ME, THIS SHOW IS FREE" but by the end of it he is trying to soften the blow and make it seem joking.  He started it out serious-angry though
I like to hug dogs

cine

Yeah I love that stuff.. because you know he's dead serious. Or he'll talk like a smartass cracking a 'joke' and say "When people receive free tickets to a show.. and they STILL BOO....."
I'm glad when hosts do that, when they just tell it like it is. "This is free so shut the fuck up.. you didn't pay to be entertained tonight."
This is unrelated but I'm sad and pissed off that Conan had to ditch the Jesus figures because of viewer complaints. Those were just gold. Especially the John Lithgow ones.

TheVoiceOfNick

I want to see Crispin in a David Lynch film... seems like a nice fit...

Find Your Magali

I have nothing further to say.

I just figured it would be delightfully offbeat and appropriate for my 500th career post to go in the "Crispin H. Glover" thread.

Peace out.

---------------------------------

The "Find Your Magali's 500th Career Post Prime-Time Special," starring Keanu Reeves, Alyssa Milano, Fran Drescher and Meatloaf, was partially underwritten by a grant from this guy...

Ghostboy

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI want to see Crispin in a David Lynch film... seems like a nice fit...

Aside from the ones he's already been in?

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI want to see Crispin in a David Lynch film... seems like a nice fit...

Aside from the ones he's already been in?

I'm a fairly new Lynch fan, and haven't seen everything... where have they worked together?  :)

Ghostboy

He had an utterly classic small part in Wild At Heart....man, it's just great.

And he starred in one of my very favorite pieces of work from Lynch, 'Hotel Room,' which you'll probably have to go to eBay to find (although word is out that Lynch got the rights to it from HBO and is going to release it on his site). It was a three-part anthology that Lynch produced, and he wrote and directed the first and last segments. The last segment is about an hour long and it stars Crispin and Alicia Witt as two parents dealing with the death of their child. It's beautiful, haunting stuff...some of the best acting Crispin's ever done, too.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyHe had an utterly classic small part in Wild At Heart....man, it's just great.

And he starred in one of my very favorite pieces of work from Lynch, 'Hotel Room,' which you'll probably have to go to eBay to find (although word is out that Lynch got the rights to it from HBO and is going to release it on his site). It was a three-part anthology that Lynch produced, and he wrote and directed the first and last segments. The last segment is about an hour long and it stars Crispin and Alicia Witt as two parents dealing with the death of their child. It's beautiful, haunting stuff...some of the best acting Crispin's ever done, too.

I'm going to have to find that on ebay... i've recently gone on a buying frenzy and bought every Lynch DVD (and some VHS, because no DVD yet) I could get my grubby hands on... haven't seen everything yet... just Mulholland Dr and Blue Velvet... classics... just had to see the others after these...

Leatherface

Crispin Glover is an amazing actor. One of the best in hollywood, and underated, in my opinion.

I thought he was wonderful as Willard Stiles.