ghost world

Started by sphinx, June 29, 2003, 07:50:42 PM

sphinx

i love how buscemi just walks into the door as it cuts

Traffican

I think the best thing about Ghost World was the part played by Dave Sheridan. His scenes with the Greek store manager were priceless.

DOUG
"This is the USA, baby...learn the rules..."

STORE MANAGER
"In Greece we invented democracy!!"

DOUG
"You also invented homos, too!!"

The wifebeater tanlines, nunchucks, sporty mullet....perfect character.
Where are you my little yellow friend?

Ravi

"Mirror, father, mirror."

I love this movie.  I've watched it several times.  Some of that stuff I could identify with, such as the trite graduation speech.  I had to sit through a few of those and I rolled my eyes at times.  I knew a lot of girls (and a few guys) exactly like Melora.

It's just such an interesting story about these two friends who grow apart after graduation.  But that's not the entire theme of the film.  Enid just cannot become some regular working stiff who conforms to rules and regulations, as evidenced by the movie theater scene.  Seymour is also a terrific character.  I can't imagine anyone but Steve Buscemi playing him.

One thing I really appreciated about Zwigoff and Clowes was that they made the art teacher human.  It would have been so easy to have her be a pretentious art teacher throughout the film.  That's sort of how she is characterized at the beginning, but we see that she's a dedicated teacher.

Myxo

Do you serve beer or any alcohol?

Enid: I wish! Actually you wish... after about five minutes of this movie, you're gonna wish you had ten beers.

prophet

The movie manager guy i think his name is alex soloz or something hes funny.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Weak2ndAct

The only girls I end up dating are slight variations on Enid, if not the exact same.  I can't escape them.

mogwai

love sphinxie's caps, those were the days!

i love how the angry store manager breaks out of character in this hilarious outtake:

and i luvv this shot, it was probably done in the magic hour. notice the empty looking apartments with the tv on.

and i looove this shot:

nix

"This is so bad it's good."

"This is so bad it's past good and gone back to bad again."
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: nix"This is so bad it's good."

"This is so bad it's past good and gone back to bad again."
I know I'm going to get more shit for saying this, but I really liked Scarlett in this movie. And no one can deny Buscemi and Birch.

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest RockwellI know I'm going to get more shit for saying this, but I really liked Scarlett in this movie.
what shit? it's true that it's all u ever say.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I enjoyed the film, but as the film developed, it started to get more conventional with its story (commonplace themes and such) when it could have followed through the entire way on good storytelling.

SoNowThen

The only thing funnier than the "... get aids when he date rapes her" line (which sums up how I felt about all the people I didn't like in high school), is the scene with Blues Hammer. I piss my fucking pants everytime I watch, and the "authentic down south Delta blues" band is a bunch of whiter-than-white boys playing bad pub rock and singing about picking cotton.

Man, I love this flick.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

my favorite line is when the babes are in a video store. there's a trailer from a movie audible in the background...

"the flowers that ate the moon"

classic. perfect. i love it.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenThe only thing funnier than the "... get aids when he date rapes her" line (which sums up how I felt about all the people I didn't like in high school), is the scene with Blues Hammer. I piss my fucking pants everytime I watch, and the "authentic down south Delta blues" band is a bunch of whiter-than-white boys playing bad pub rock and singing about picking cotton.

Man, I love this flick.

Blueshammer rivals Spinal Tap and Citizen Dick for funniest fictional band of all time.

RegularKarate

Quote from: SoNowThenThe only thing funnier than the "... get aids when he date rapes her" line (which sums up how I felt about all the people I didn't like in high school), is the scene with Blues Hammer. I piss my fucking pants everytime I watch, and the "authentic down south Delta blues" band is a bunch of whiter-than-white boys playing bad pub rock and singing about picking cotton.

Man, I love this flick.

Blueshammer is the best... it's now a term my wife and I use for shitty white-boy blues.

"That band is so Blueshammer"
or
"I'm not really into Eric Clapton, he's a little too Blueshammer"