The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: B.C. Long on July 28, 2012, 12:36:04 AM
Does anyone know whether there will be an early showing at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco like there was for TWBB?

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master will open exclusively in New York and Los Angeles before expanding nationwide on Sept. 21. It's likely that the movie will make a stop at the Toronto Film Festival to boost its theatrical launch (the festival gets underway Sept. 6).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Weinstein, who has dominated awards season the past two years with Best Picture wins for "The King's Speech" and "The Artist," promises to be well-represented at the Oscars again in 2013. "Django Unchained" opens on Christmas, and in October his company will release Paul Thomas Anderson's much-anticipated follow up to 2007's "There Will Be Blood." The new film, titled "The Master" and starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams, offers a thinly fictionalized portrait of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

In keeping with the party line, Weinstein declined to confirm the Scientology connection. "Paul says to me the movie is about a journey for soldiers after World War II – my own dad was one of those guys – and, you know, one of the things that happens to this soldier is he goes to a cult," he said. "Look, I mean, whatever, people are going to draw their own conclusions, and right now there are heated conclusions, and the Tom and Katie situation has exacerbated that. It's going to be a controversial movie. But it's a tour de force. I hope what doesn't get lost is how wonderful the filmmaking is."

Asked if there were still a chance "The Master" could make its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival, which kicks off on September 5, Weinstein said it depends on whether Anderson could prepare a 70-millimeter print in time. "He's a filmmaker, not a video filmmaker, and I really hope that doesn't get lost in the controversy either. He's really trying to preserve a lost art." Another Weinstein film and early Oscar favorite, David O. Russell's "The Silver Linings Playbook," is set to premiere at the festival.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/07/26/harvey-weinstein-obama-romney-guns_n_1706394.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: stream on July 28, 2012, 06:49:40 AM
Hello, first time posting here. sorry if this has been pointed out already but i noticed this link between the new trailer and the passenger, in the line 'what are you running from'-  - thought it was kind of interesting,

Welcome!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on July 28, 2012, 11:09:45 AMIt is no secret that PTA gets inspired by other movies to make his own . . . Yet he still has the most original and unique voice in American Cinema at the moment.

I tend to feel the same way. Whenever I go back to PTA's source material, I'm always underwhelmed.

malkovich

Woah.

I just thought about what it would have been like if PTA was around and worked with Nicholson in his prime.

72teeth

that PSH back looks Punch-Drunky
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

DocSportello

So I was researching CMBB's old release info because I was hoping to make an educated guess as to what we can expect for The Master's limited release and according to this http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=therewillbeblood.htm CMBB was only showing at two theaters upon it's initial limited release, then moved to 885 screens a month later? Would you guys expect a similar course for The Master?

matt35mm

Something like that, yes. It will spend a few weeks slowly expanding but still within a small number of theaters in major cities, before a proper wide release. It's been the same with Punch Drunk Love and Magnolia--both of those opened on less than 10 screens in LA/NY. I didn't know about Boogie Nights until after it came out, so I can't remember how that opened.

The LA/NY opening weekend is confirmed, with a vague "expanding" in the second weekend. I expect that it will eventually play on about as many screens as There Will Be Blood did over the course of its run.

HeywoodRFloyd

Wtf? The Master was just confirmed for the Venice Film Festival: http://dlvr.it/1ws91t
I thought the organizer confirmed it was definitely not on their lineup? Weird

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on July 30, 2012, 11:28:13 AM
Wtf? The Master was just confirmed for the Venice Film Festival: http://dlvr.it/1ws91t
I thought the organizer confirmed it was definitely not on their lineup? Weird

They got the New Terrence Malick movie and "The Master"!?!?!?!......

*Books Flight to Venice*
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

ElPandaRoyal

I may or may not prostitute myself to afford going to Venice this year. It's PTA, Malick AND De Palma (yep, I'm one of those guys who enjoys even his "bad" movies)!
Si

HeywoodRFloyd

I wish I could go :yabbse-angry:

Also if anyone in this forum is from Australia, and knows when there is a release date/who's distributing The Master, please let me know! Thanks

DocSportello

Maybe Megan Ellison will swoop in and put up the funding for all of our plane tickets to Venice.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: DocSportello on July 30, 2012, 04:16:52 PM
Maybe Megan Ellison will swoop in and put up the funding for all of our plane tickets to Venice.

I know you're trying to Calm me down but JUST SAY SOMETHING THAT'S TRUE!!!!!!
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Pubrick

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on July 30, 2012, 11:57:25 AM
Also if anyone in this forum is from Australia, and knows when there is a release date/who's distributing The Master, please let me know! Thanks

Not many of us around here anymore, and nope got no fuggin idea.. hopefully some film festival picks it up, that'd be your best bet.
under the paving stones.