Coffee and Cigarettes

Started by El Scorchoz, February 23, 2004, 08:38:12 PM

mutinyco

Saw it last week. It works more in terms of observing Jarmusch's progress as opposed to it necessarily being a real movie. You can clearly see his writing and directing growing (as well as his budgets). The episode I was most impressed by was probably Kate Blanchett's. She gave brilliant dual performances.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

RegularKarate

The Blanchette shorts is one of my least favorite.

It's good, it's just the most obvious and cliched, it doesn't really feel like a Jarmusch story.

kotte

Quote from: picolas:
Quote from: kotteBetter?
no. please give us a face-vacation. no more face.

You're right...

matt35mm

I'm gonna go to the San Francisco International Film Fest in April.  Coffee and Cigarettes is playing there but I'm so sure that it'll be packed... actually, I think it might be opening the festival... in which case there's no way I'd be able to get a ticket.

But if somehow it works out and I get the chance to, then I'm definitely interested in seeing it.  The trailer looks funny.

bonanzataz

Quote from: kotte

You're right...

when do we get to see your cock?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

kotte

Quote from: taz.

You're right...

It's too big. I know you don't believe me but frankly I have a hard time believing it myself. It's huge...as I look down on it right now it looks fucking photoshoped. :?

Stefen

Quote from: taz.

You're right...

It's too big. I know you don't believe me but frankly I have a hard time believing it myself. It's huge...as I look down on it right now it looks fucking photoshoped. :?

Kotte is the ultimate ladies man. Full of love and well hung. The complete opposite of most people on xixax. I also applaud you for typing at your computer naked.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

like you never jerked off in idle chatter...

Ghostboy

This movie is just all around understated greatness.

My favorite: the last one, with Bill Rice and Taylor Mead. It's the most meditative of the bunch, and it's just lovely.

My next favorite: Tom Waits and Iggy Pop. That's about all that needs to be said about that.

My other favorites: Steve Coogan and Alfred Molina was the slickest and most generally pleasing, and the one with Cate Blanchett is stunning not because of the content but just for her performance(s); it's hard to believe they're both her.

I appreciated the shout out to Joe Strummer at the end of the credits. Jarmusch's taste in music is impeccable. As is his filmmaking.

El Duderino

that just makes me more hyped up to see it.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

On 9/14, look for Coffee & Cigarettes on DVD.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

saw this tonite, not because i really thought it was theatre-worthy, but because i'm moving out of this crummy town tomorrow and i wanted to go to the great arthouse one last time.  i thought the coogan/molina one was the best, then the cate blanchett, then iggy pop/tom waits.  overall though as a film it wasnt very good, certainly not worth anyones 9 dollars.  it's the sort of thing had he put them up separately on like, jimjarmusch.com or something i would've probably watched them and smirked.  maybe showed my girlfriend, maybe not, clicked off and never really thought about them again.  

as a whole it really doesnt work as a film, as some of the shorts were good and some were downright boring.  if the shorts had been conceived as a whole film from the start, perhaps he could've made more of a point to the whole thing, but as it stands he sort of tried to weave a few of them together at the end and it didnt really do much. so, other than sort of going 'hey, its bill murray!', and getting the same sort of cheap thrills seeing what celebrities will pop up as flipping through US weekly and seeing laura flynn boyle walking her dog, the movie is NOT RECOMMENDED.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Correction... this movie IS RECOMMENDED

but seriously, it's far from his best work

Ghostboy

I think it's worth nine dollars, or even eighteen, since I'm probably going to go see it again later this week.

El Duderino

i rather enjoyed this film as a whole. i really liked the cate blanchett one, and the alfred molina and steve coogan one was hilarious. 4/5

"Now I can always say I'm related to Steve Coogan"
"And I can say I'm related to Albert Molina"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?