Masters Of The Universe

Started by ElPandaRoyal, August 15, 2003, 11:49:04 AM

ElPandaRoyal

About five minutes ago I ran into a VHS copy of the movie that made my childhood days much better: "Masters Of The Universe".

I think I watched the movie about 30 times when I was a kid..... damn, I was a sick little boy. The VHS doesn't work anymore, so can't watch it again, but my guess is that if I did, I'd probably be bored with it but very happy at the same time, as memories from long ago would come up to my mind.

Anyway, does anybody remeber this damn movie? It starred the greatest actor of all time, Dolph Lundgren  :roll: and all I can tell you is that it was the greatest thing I saw when I was a little boy.....
Si

SoNowThen

yeah, i loved this fucking movie.

i especially like the scene where gwildor tries to eat the chicken...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Cecil

i remember that i liked it as a kid, but i dont remember much of it

Just Withnail

Hah! I love this. Courteney Cox is in it right? It's the corniest thing in the world.

MacGuffin

Hey, Man, He-Man's Back!

It looks like He-Man is powering up again.

Action director John Woo has been tapped to helm a new, live-action version of the 1980s toy-rific toon, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Daily Variety reported Monday.

According to the trade paper, Woo (Face/Off) will do double duty as producer, writer/director Adam Rifkin (Detroit Rock City) will pen the script, and Fox's Fox 2000 division will bring Eternia back to life.

All of this leaves one logical question: "Who's going to be in it?," asked John Erwin.

Erwin is the veteran actor who gave He-Man his he-manly voice in the 1980s TV series. (He also helped Morris the Cat express his finicky feline thoughts in the classic TV commercials dating back to 1969.)

When contacted Monday for his reaction to a planned new He-Man movie, Erwin wished the project well, and although essentially retired, offered his services.

"If [the leading man] has a heavy lisp, I'll be ready to go," Erwin joked.

There was no word on a potential cast. A Fox spokeswoman could not confirm the project Monday.

For those not raised on 1980s television, an explanation: He-Man was a pop-culture phenomenon, ample evidence of which can be found to this day on the likes of eBay where everything from He-Man lunch boxes to He-Man adhesive bandages (sorry, "Battle Strips") tempt collectors.

The TV series chronicled the adventures of Prince Adam of Eternia who buffed up when he held a sword above his head and roared, "I have the power!," thereby turning into toondom's version of Mark McGwire, He-Man.

Joined with his trusty clawed companion, Battle Cat, He-Man battled the evildoing, in-desperate-need-of-a-facial Skeletor. Twin sister She-Ra (apparently, She-Woman just didn't click) got her own show in 1985.

To Erwin, what differentiated He-Man from other toons was its accessibility. "It was one of the first shows to go five days a week," Erwin said of the series, which debuted in first-run syndication in 1983. "The kids didn't have to wait until Saturday."

The kids also didn't have to wait for the tie-in toys--Mattel Inc., home of Barbie, et. al, helped produce the series.

Owing to the success of the toys and the show, He-Man got his first big-screen closeup in 1987 in Masters of the Universe, a then-modestly budgeted flick ($17 million, per IMDb.com) from Cannon Films, the non-esteemed studio of Superman IV. Dolph Lundgren, the non-esteemed actor of Red Scorpion, starred. Fans griped.

"It better not be a repeat of the 1987 movie!" was one of the stipulations issued on the fan site, He-Man.org, regarding the new project.

"[The original movie] had its charm, but failed to deliver on a story or the characters that fans expected," Val Staples, Webmaster of He-Man.org and force behind the new Masters of the Universe comic-book series, said in an email interview Monday. "We all hope the new movie will pay careful homage to what made Masters of the Universe great."

By the power of Grayskull...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Wow, John Woo keeps sinking lower and lower. He-Man was cool when I was six and seven, but his coolness now is simply nostalgic, isn't it? Are kids these days actually going to think a character with a name like that is cool? I mean, most kids watch the Matrix, how can He-Man compare to stuff like that?

Pubrick

Quote from: Ghostboyhow can He-Man compare to stuff like that?

dolph lundgren cameo. ..as the punisher.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

why hasn't NEON posted in this thread?

Kal

I read somewhere that Smith Jared (Sex & The City) will play He-Man...

deathnotronic

You know what a sweet movie was?

Masters of Disguise.

life_boy

God I loved Tom Wolfe's prose in my childhood.