Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

Pas

My confessions :

I think that Pedro Almodovar movies are overrated (espicially All About my Mother, which is basically a "look, this is shocking" movie).

I think the Silence of the Lambs trilogy is bad. Extremely bad.

I think that people in general can't make a decision by themselves, especially about art, and especially artsy people.

I think liking underground/artsy movies is often used to impress chicks, I include myself more than anyone in that.

I think, deep down inside of my heart, that it is a good thing to have a woman naked (except when she is named Kathy Bates) in a film and a bad thing to have a man naked. I think this is pathetic of me to say.

I think teachers in anything but science are mostly stupid/useless/incompetent. I had once a good litterature teacher who said : "When you can't do something right, you teach it". Don't you think that if your scenario writing teacher was a good scenario writer, he would write fucking scenarios ?!

Beside for personnal amusment, I think it is stupid, or rather naive, to put things in "tops" (best exemple : Top 50 Cult Movies ...wtf is that all about).

I think every award show are stupid, no one stupider than the other, all extremely stupid. Though I think that it is not stupid to watch these shows, I believe it is stupid to think a movie, an actor or a singer is good because it/he/she has won any award.

I think Magnolia is overrated... DAMN ! NOT ON THE HEAD !!! I'm just kidding !  :wink:

pookiethecat

booth- you're honesty is refreshing, though i disagree about kathy bates being naked.  her nude presence (and presence in general)  was pretty brave...it also made sense within the context of the movie.  it wasn't just shock for the sake of shock, i felt.  in general, it was necessary and added a lot to the movie.  but yeah, i see your point regardless about people in movies (specifically women) being attractive and such

Confessions:

here goes...*deep breath*

Bowling for Columbine is by far the most egregiously overrated movie, perhaps of all time.  I have brought up my dislike for the film during a few different discussions about it, and both times, the enthusiasm for the film resulted in a verbal brawl of sorts.  People hold the film so dear to their hearts that any attack on it becomes an attack on THEM and the gun movement in general... it's the if-you're-not-with-us-you're against-us logic.  my reasons for disliking the movie are justified and rational and people ignore that.  and for that reason, not only Bowling for Columbine irritates me, but the entire hype surrounding it does too.
i wanna lick 'em.

Pas

Quote from: pookiethecatBowling for Columbine is by far the most egregiously overrated movie, perhaps of all time.

I tought about confessing that too !!! Especially when you know Micheal Moore has a multi-million house. I still respect the guy though.

Quote from: pookiethecatthough i disagree about kathy bates being naked.  her nude presence (and presence in general)  was pretty brave...it also made sense within the context of the movie.  it wasn't just shock for the sake of shock

About Kathy Bates, I was being humerous, I understand why this was important. But how do you feel about the fact we almost never see men nude in films but women all the time ? The point of my confession is that I can't bring myself to truly believing this is completly revolting, and that makes me feel real bad.

thedog

You know, this is a good topic but sometimes I'm just not impressed. Hating a movie isn't exactly something to be ashamed of, unless you secretly liked it and you are lying. I can go on and on about what films I don't like. Naming movies you like is a lot harder. It's easy to say you hated Lord of the Rings but a lot harder to say you loved Bio-Dome (for example).

And sometimes people just say they hate certain movies just to piss other people off.

(For the record, I hate Bio-Dome and love Lord of the Rings.)

anyway, guilty as charged:

I like Quentin Tarantino's acting style
I really enjoyed the movie In The Army Now (but I don't like Pauly Shore)
it is my opinion that Adam Sandler is one of the funniest people ever

There. I said it. So sue me.

Derek

I think Batman is a masterpiece.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

pookiethecat

There is of course something innate about wanting to see the gender of your preference nude more than the gender not of your preference.  But beyond the initial buzz of seeing boobies (and whatever the equivalent is), nudity in the movies doesn't have as much weight as other factors in making it an erotic experience on the part of the spectator.  I would argue that it has more to do with a psychosexual connection to the protaganist and his/her love interest...I feel the same way about male nudity that I do about female nudity...simply because I don't view it as the premiere erotic factor in watching a film.  A woman is still a woman even if you don't show her topless.   Same with a man and being, uh, pantless.    

(I hope I have made some sense.)

-pookie
i wanna lick 'em.

Pas

That is exactly what I would like to believe :) Fuck it, I guess I'm an eternal adolescent. Anyway, let's not ruin the topic :)

I think Pauly Shore is funnier than Adam Sandler.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker (or vice-versa) to me are pure genius

:P

Cecil

lol

snobbiest thread ever. and comming from me, that says alot

Pas

Oh we're way out of line ! Like this whole forum isn't filled with snobism. This is just a juvenile discussion between people (or at least me) who believe they are more intelligent then they really are. It's definietly not worse than the usual "Vhat do you tink of dis shot in Godard's Les Carabiniers? Can't you see de Tati inspiration ?" discussion type.

I'm snob, I accept it, I'm half cured.

modage

market research is probably single-handedly ruining movies by dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator and pandering to audiences instead of challenging them.  i find it completely repulsive and evil.  and yet, my job right now.....market research for movies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

confessions -

I think the entire Godfather Trilogy is very overrated. The first one is great, but even that movie was put with a movie like American Graffitti and seen as a nostalgic film to a time and filmmaking of an old time. I always felt the first was great but always saw it as just going back to the gangster films of the 1930s and couldn't give it that much respect. The second was a casual cool movie on just pushing the lore of the first one farther to incorporate more stories but the same points that were already obvious in the first one. Same can be said about the last, which, ironically, loses the cool and patience of the first two and seems more like an average film instead of that old time look. Either way, overrated in a lot of ways for me. Weird thing is though, I also confess to owning the trilogy on dvd..............twice. One is the Portuguese version and the other is the American and yes, I paid for both. Sometimes nice packaging makes me a sucker.

I think Scorsese is heading down a path to making good films at best and sometimes, a lot of bad films. With his partnership with Leo, he seems to have created a comfort seat of sorts (even for him) to get some dream projects made but after GONY, I don't trust Leo acting and I prefer Scorsese back in the 70s scraping by on minimal money trying to make those bigger pictures and having to be more desperate. I feel Scorsese is able to be comfortable now and just ride on his already proven great camera techniques when in a more desperate situation of finding money, he will need to improvise more. I also think he should be forced to work with amateur actors only for a few films.

Though I know very little of the man's work and didn't like Far From Heaven, I think Todd Haynes will be one of the best filmmakers in the coming years with his new garnered artistic freedom from Far From Heaven in being able to take more risks. When I heard the idea alone for his next Bob Dylan esque film, I got excited because it had so many great possibilities. And yes, I promise to watch Safe very soon.

CBR was right when he said The Rock took itself way too seriously. I said it was lighthearted like Con Air and good, but watching only 30 minutes of again, I can see I was very wrong and just linked some moments of the movie to Con Air only and thought of how much fun Con Air was.

I also think a lot of people here are kinda sad that PTA may never return to the type of films like Boogie Nights or Magnolia at all because though they like Punch Drunk Love, those are their favorites and with PTA saying he wants to keep on taking risks and that Punch Drunk Love is his favorite, this may very well come true.

~rougerum

polkablues

I have grown to fear the response of people when I tell them this, but...

I vastly prefer "Daredevil" to "Spider-Man".  There, I said it.  The world knows.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pookiethecat

i have trouble accepting ben affleck as a hero of any type.  he's just so smug and lame and j-lo-ish...
i wanna lick 'em.

Ernie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI will back up Macguffin's statement of that there were more movies made back in the 1950s and even before. Thing is, even back in the early 1940s, it is averaged that millions and millions more of people went to the movies than people do today. The only reason you see inflated grosses on movies is through inflation of prices but the main form of entertainment back then was the movies until television changed it all and became the most competitive form of entertainment against the movies. I've found the more you dig into movies, the more you desire movies from the past. Yes, cliche films ran as much as they do today but there is still much to learn and appreciate from the films of the past and you stop seeing that Wings won the first Oscar in the late 1920s and that masters of filmmaking were popping up as early as the mid 1910s. It's a good argument to say the golden age of film did come in the 1970s because of the idepedence found in financing for daring movies and all, but it shouldn't stop people from shutting out the earlier time periods. That's the worst approach.

~rougerum

I wasn't saying that people should ignore the films of the pre 60's...did you read my post? I said some of them, alot of them actually...are GREAT. People really should see them. I didn't know if you were talking about me so I'm just clarifying.

Of course the 40's and 50's aren't going to be considered by everybody to be the golden age of film, they're two very early decades. I'm not surprised it took until the 70's to really perfect the medium.

And to reply to Mac...I really did read a thing about Scorsese saying the 70's are the golden age of film and could probably find the quote I read of Altman saying it.

SoNowThen

I'm pretty sure ebs is right. Just because Marty made that American Movies Documentary doesn't mean he likes the era better. In fact, he says in the doc that he can't comment objectively on the 70's, because that was HIS era of moviemaking.

Though I'm thinking Marty might like 60's Europe the best, seems he's always sighting movies from then as his favorites.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.