Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: GoneSavageFunny how I don't see any threads named "Favorite female actors".

Close enough?:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=552&;
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

1. Sophie Zelmani

because her lyrics and music gets to me.

2. Fiona Apple

don't know why yet. Just got into her music. Cool and honest.

GoneSavage

Quote from: pete*ps: you are my favorite female poster.

hehehehe, that shit cracked me up!  way to crack the cynical facade of the savage.

MacGuffin

Australia's Kylie Minogue has breast cancer

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Kylie Minogue, Australia's biggest music star, has been diagnosed with breast cancer and has canceled her upcoming Australian tour, her management said on Tuesday.

Minogue, 36, who was due to start her Australian concerts this week, said she was sorry to disappoint her fans.

"Nevertheless, hopefully all will work out fine and I'll be back with you all again soon," Minogue said in a statement.

The Frontier Touring Company, the promoter of her Australian concert tour, said Minogue was diagnosed with "early breast cancer" whilst visiting family in Melbourne this week.

"She will undergo immediate treatment and consequently her Australian tour will not be able to proceed as planned," the company said in a statement.

Minogue has risen from humble beginnings as an actress on the television soap "Neighbors" to be a top pop singer. She is signed to music company EMI.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Stefen

She'll be coming over when she gets it taken care of, or at the very least, under control and not noticeable.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

a friend of mine tried to get me into Bjork, but the song she had me listen to sounded like a cat being tortured.

i'm still open to the idea of getting into her music, just tell me where i should start.

modage

start with her debut EP, "Cat Torture", aka "The Yowl EP".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jtm

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't know if we can help you here, the general consensus is Bjork sucks.

Seriously though, her voice isn't bad, it's just unconventional.  The music is breathtaking in some songs, and her voice almost comes in as an instrument itself... well, in Medulla, I guess that's the point.

Since you haven't heard much Bjork and want to get into her, I suggest you listen to Post.  Give that a few spins... if you begin to get used to her voice, try out Homogenic, and then Vespertine.  Medulla is a bigger pill to swallow once you're getting into her, in my opinion, but an all vocal, beatbox, etc. album, is just a concept worth looking into at all, in my opinion.

I know I'm no authority on Bjork, but if you try to listen to her voice and lyrics, you might get lost at how unusual she is.  Listen to the music for what it is.  It's mostly music you have to feel, and not just listen to directly.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Try watching Dancer In The Dark. That's how I learned to appreciate her. The songs in it are alot of fun and pretty good. And the movie is good too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleuth

No, I'm pretty sure there's one universal approach to every piece of music just like there is to film.
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: StefenTry watching Dancer In The Dark. That's how I learned to appreciate her. The songs in it are alot of fun and pretty good. And the movie is good too.

Cvalda is such a great song off of Selmasongs...  If I listen to it whilst I drive, I swerve and... I suppose that's dangerous.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye